Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope vs. militant agnostics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Aww I was expecting a man in a white cape fighting on the street against a bunch of agnostics. :(

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Somewhat ironic Benny is complaining about intolerance considering that he has blessed people involved with the "Kill the Gays" legislation in Uganda.

Get your own house in order and maybe people won't be criticizing your organisation.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭Readyhed

Maybe they should also stand up to people who think women in third world countries should be allowed use condoms just to avoid contracting AIDS ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The article lost me at "Pope Benedict said ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Anyone who lives and proclaims the faith of the Church is on many points out of step with the prevalent way of thinking," he said. "The approval of the prevailing wisdom, however, is not the criterion to which we submit."
    I can kind of respect that. Argumentum ad populum and all of that.
    In the United States, a group last month started a petition on the White House website asking the administration of President Barack Obama to list the Catholic Church as a "hate group" because of its opposition to gay marriage.
    :LOL: I can also respect that, if mainly for the chutzpah required. Futile, perhaps, but probably noble.

The context of the Pope's comments isn't 100% clear. Perhaps the meaning of "agnosticism" he uses is the one relating to a belief that certainty is in principle unknowable, and not the one that simply denotes lack of certainty. However, given that he has in the past complained about the "increasing tide of secularism", his recent comments could for some be tainted by association. If the supposed spiritual (ie moral and intellectual) leader of the Catholic Church is indeed coming out with extremist butt-gravy of the kind suspected then the recent inane ramblings in this forum of one or two of his adherents become a little more understandable in context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Oh the irony. Agnostics intolerant? Is it not the Cathloic church thats intolerant of homosexuals, women priests etc?

Thankfully he doesnt seem to dislike all agnostics by saying "Agnostics are closer to the Kingdom of God than believers whose life of faith is 'routine'".

http://www.romereports.com/palio/pope-agnostics-are-closer-to-the-kingdom-of-god-than-believers-whose-life-of-faith-is-routine-english-5003.html#.UOn3Q6xlyWo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Oh the irony. Agnostics intolerant?
    Apparently agnostics have this intolerant dogma which involves the refusal to accept Pope Benny's divinely intolerant dogmas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

recedite wrote: »
    Apparently agnostics have this intolerant dogma which involves the refusal to accept Pope Benny's divinely intolerant dogmas.

Burning is too good for the likes of them :mad:. I refuse to be engulfed in the flames of Catholicism with anyone who is not militantly intolerant of intolerant intolerant dogmas... So there!

Advertisement