Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network File Sharing Problem

Options
  • 06-01-2013 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is a Windows issue or a problem with my hardware, but I'll try here for the moment.

I have my desktop in my bedroom running Windows 8. It's connected to the modem in the living room using homeplug/powerline adapters. It also has WiFi, but I get pretty slow speeds so it's pretty useless for what I'm trying to do here.

In trying to set up XBMC on my Android tablet, I've discovered that my desktop SMB shares work when I connect to the network using WiFi, but not when using the powerline adapters.

I can connect to the internet just fine using powerline, so was wondering does anybody have any ideas what could be blocking the file sharing? Could it be a problem with Windows 8 (Realtek LAN connection), the powerline adapters (TP-Link), or my modem (the UPC Cisco one)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You sure you're using the right IP address, the IP of the PC will be different on wireless than on homeplugs (ethernet). Homplugs should be transparent and should act the same as a straight through cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You sure you're using the right IP address, the IP of the PC will be different on wireless than on homeplugs (ethernet). Homplugs should be transparent and should act the same as a straight through cable.

When my computer's connected wirelessly the Android tablet finds the shared files automatically, when it's wired there's nothing.

Haven't done any manual setting up of the IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You most likely have to enable file and printer sharing on the local area connection (ethernet), also make sure it's set to a home or work network (not public) in network and sharing center.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You most likely have to enable file and printer sharing on the local area connection (ethernet), also make sure it's set to a home or work network (not public) in network and sharing center.

Just realised, I had network discovery turned off. Thanks for the help :)

Advertisement