Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hodges Figgis: where's its website?

Options
  • 06-01-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

For convenience, I'd prefer to buy my books online, but at the same time my favourite bookshop is Hodges Figgis. The choice is absolutely superb, and there's always something interesting in its Bargain Basement section. Its range of Irish history and Irish language material is exceptional and I love that all signs are bilingual. For me, it's the perfect bookshop. I'd therefore prefer to shop there than any other bookshop in Dublin.

But where on earth is its website? I spent about €1500 on books, usually hardcover, last year alone. If Hodges Figgis could replicate its bookshop with an online store it would be my dream online bookstore (www.litriocht.com is the nearest I've come to one so far)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

It's owned by Waterstones. If you go to hodgesfiggis.com it re-directs to the main Waterstones site, and Hodges Figgis is listed under their Dublin shops.

As you can buy online there I guess that's why HF doesn't have its own specific site where online purchasing is an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I heard rumours they were going to be setting up one a couple of years ago, which would make sense given what Dostoevsky is saying as well as the impression that they like to give of their being an independent Irish bookshop (albeit with some inconsistencies, like the linking to the waterstones page). I guess finance would be an issue. I presume Waterstones would be setting it up, and probably wouldn't bother if it just effects one shop in Ireland. Also issues regarding who ships the books (I presume it would be Hodges to take advantage of their strong points, like their bargain basement and sale books) would probably arise. It would be a long term project, and I'm not sure where waterstones are with regards to being a long term project themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

It's probably not worth the expense to set up an independent, non-Waterstones, online store. Particularly given that so much of HF's appeal lies in the physical bookstore itself

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭paulocon2

Sorry to jump on an old thread but it's related.

Anyone know if Hodges Figgis take Waterstones Vouchers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    For convenience, I'd prefer to buy my books online, but at the same time my favourite bookshop is Hodges Figgis. The choice is absolutely superb, and there's always something interesting in its Bargain Basement section. Its range of Irish history and Irish language material is exceptional and I love that all signs are bilingual. For me, it's the perfect bookshop. I'd therefore prefer to shop there than any other bookshop in Dublin.

How long have you been working there? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭osullc10

Old thread, but I thought someone might find it interesting...
    Hodges Figgis had one of the first online stores in Ireland. You can see their website from 2000 for example here:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20000121102510/http://www.hodgesfiggis.com/live/twist/twist.plx?form=\Inetpub\Web\webshop\hf\live\scripts\home.htx&referer=

That was before they were taken over by Dillons. (Dillons was part of the HMV Group and was subsequently merged into the Waterstones brand, which was sold by the HMV Group in 2011. If I recall correctly, for a time HMV vouchers were accepted in Hodges Figgis.) As previously said, after takeover by Dillons (and subsequent merging under the Waterstones umbrella), Hodges Figgis' own web presence disappeared, presumably to save costs and to avoid interfering with Waterstones' own online presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Michael Raymond FitzPatrick

Believe it or not I was on the Hf online website last Saturday 01/12/2013 and nearly bought 3 books, postage was free and there were substantial discounts of 27%. However, decided against it as I would be in Dublin on Monday. The in-store book prices were on average €7 more expensive per book and I now intended to get 6 two of which they did not have, but would order; total cost €138. So, I decided to revert to an online purchase and save €40+ when I got home. The website has vanished. So, did I miss the boat or did I save €96? Back to Dublin I must go.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭osullc10

Well if you were on the website yourself last Saturday, can't you find it again in your browser history? Then you can confirm if it was actually the Hodges Figgis website or if you were mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭skinthegoat

I arrived here on boards.ie in my search for Hodges Figgis' website, which appears to be defunct. It reminds me of an experience I had, must be ten years or so ago, with the same good old firm. I'd found on their internet page that they had several copies of a book I wanted, and called in to buy one. The conversation, with a very pleasant middle-aged gentleman, went like this:

Self: I'd like to buy a copy of xxxx by yyyy please.
    Clerk (looking up details on screen): I'm sorry sir, but that's not in stock.
    Self: But I checked on the internet this morning, and it says you have several copies.
    Clerk (with pitying smile): The internet, is it? Ah now, sir, I wouldn't put too much faith in that! I can order you a copy if you wish.
    Self: Very well. And how much will it be?
    Clerk (looking things up on screen again): That will be €18.
    Self: But it said €16 on the internet!
    Clerk (with return of pitying smile): Ah now, sir, I wouldn't...

Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ginger OToole

Hodges Figgis don't have a website of their own exactly, but you will find them on the Waterstones website, they seem to have amalgamated in some way.... i cannot post the url because I am an untrusted dangerous newbie..... but suffice it to say, go to watersonesDOTcom into the shops menu and type in Dublin and hey presto Hodges Figgis of Dawson St and Drogheda....
    have a warm evening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Last time I was in Dublin in June I headed straight for the bargain basement in HF only to find out to my horror that it wasn't there any more! A member of staff told me that whatever was left of it was confined to two bookshelves on the top floor by the front window, that was it. I was really upset, another good thing going down the drain...

At least I can still rely on Chapters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Self: I'd like to buy a copy of xxxx by yyyy please.
    Clerk (looking up details on screen): I'm sorry sir, but that's not in stock.
    Self: But I checked on the internet this morning, and it says you have several copies.
    Clerk (with pitying smile): The internet, is it? Ah now, sir, I wouldn't put too much faith in that! I can order you a copy if you wish.
    Self: Very well. And how much will it be?
    Clerk (looking things up on screen again): That will be €18.
    Self: But it said €16 on the internet!
    Clerk (with return of pitying smile): Ah now, sir, I wouldn't...

Happy days!

To be fair, the 'clerk' was right on the first count. We had a similar system in a place I used to work, and the website took a while to update on stock that had sold. We would get a lot of customers believing that what they had seen on the internet was gospel (even if it was something they had checked hours/days/weeks previously).

Also, for the most part, what you see on the internet will be cheaper than what you pay in the shop (the reason given being that overheads like rent/staff/etc don't have to be paid when conducting your transaction online.

Weird that Hodges' online site (which even back in the days redirected to the Waterstone's one) was quoting you euro prices.

Advertisement