Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ping pong

Options
  • 06-01-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Sky Sports have had the world championship on Ping Pong on the last few days. Is there any difference between Ping Pong and table tennis? The world championship in mixed (male and female take part)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

Basically its the bat thats the difference.Standard "sandpaper" bats in use.Bats given to players at start of match.Longer rallys,less spin than the sponge bat.Great fun to watch,a lot more tactical and may be the way to get more people interested in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Thanks. I really enjoyed watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is it an actual World Championship (with longstanding history and tradition) or just a Matchroom Sports invention?

It's enjoyable stuff regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is it an actual World Championship (with longstanding history and tradition) or just a Matchroom Sports invention?

It's enjoyable stuff regardless.
    I think it's just a Matchroom event. I don't know much about TT but I remember at the Olympics the Chinese were winning everything yet there doesn't seem to be any at this tournament. It's a 64 man competition yet some of the blokes I saw playing were men in mid 40s so calling it a 'world championship' is stretching it a bit. I'd like to know from someone in the know the standard of the players that are playing. Are any of them ranked or anything? I do agree it is very enjoyable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

It is a matchroom event.The standard of player is high enough.All internationals,world finalists and to be honest you can play TT to a very high standard in to your 50s and 60s.This format is a leveller.the bats are basic even the girl who played said that she would be destroyed in TT by the boys.Great to see it on the box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Yeah saw some of it on Sky, very good with them all using the same bats.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Just checked this ping pong out and it's no better to watch than the real thing, and looks really difficult to play. Back to the drawing room Barry

Advertisement