Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving From Dublin To Rural Clare

Options
  • 06-01-2013 12:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37

Hi all,
    I can see that this has been discussed similarly on two occasions but rather than hi jack the old threads I thought to start a new one.Myself and my wife,mid fifties, no children,retired are thinking strongly about moving to Clare.We would prefer village/outskirts of village living as opposed to either very rural and/or town living such as Ennis,Shannon.Would really welcome people's opinions as to where they would recommend to move to,where they think are nice areas etc.I know that it will be subjective but would welcome all opinions.We are sort of favouring the areas around Miltown Malbay with the thinking being that apart from scenery,sea, pubs(not important to us) and restaurants,it has all your usual shops for milk, bread, newspaper etc whilst for the weekly/fortnightly shop,Ennis is doable with supermarket in Ennistymon also a possibility.But we are not locked on to MM and indeed most villages are being considered.I think broadband might be important too.Does anyone know of the quality available in that area? In general I'd welcome all opinions,advice and guidance on all matters of daily living that I might be overlooking or forgetting.Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Boadband can be a problem - The only way I could get it was with a very inferior service from Vodafone using a mobile modem. It all depends where you are - I'm unfortunately living in a fringe area (just outside Miltown Malbay)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

You should be able to get Eircom broadband. There's also a big Supervalu opening in Miltown this year which may help. Spanish Point would be a nice area to live.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If I could give some advice it would be to take up short term leases in a lot of places to see if you like the areas or not, small things can turn someone off a place very quickly, for example local shop doesn't get your type of coffee, also, it'll give you an idea of what is involved in living in "remote" places. If you are coming from Dublin you will be taking an awful lot of things for granted that just won't be available to you.

I wouldn't be too worried about your fortnightly trip to Ennis for big shops, Tesco do home delivery to all of Clare so they'll deliver your weekly shop whenever suits you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Access to health services and hospitals should be a consideration when moving. Ennis Hospital has been steadily downgraded over the years and Limerick Regional Hospital is very overcrowded. Public transport in West Clare is very limited, so I presume that you both can drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Janrey

Thanks all.Yes, we can both drive but really wouldn't envisage going into Ennis say for example,more than once a week if not a fortnight.But transport is a good point because to get anywhere really involves a car and I suppose that is why we are thinking just outside a village/town,maybe within walking distance.The hospital situation is also very important but I am thinking where does one draw the line between being aware of that importance and on the other hand,thinking in a positive mind set by preferring to hope for relatively good health.It seems also that most of Ireland,outside Dublin,is being punished by having hospitals downgraded and that is another day's, and more angry discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

kinvara is a beautiful village and ticks all your boxes except that its in galway!

houses are dear there tho

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Clareman has offered good advise in renting a place to suss out the location that you have chosen to see if its right for you. I have come from North Wicklow to Clare and in a rural village and its very quiet. Best bet is probably target Ennis or its surrounds so you have the best of both worlds. Ennis is only Half hour drive to lahinch/spanish point etc. You have to consider hospitals, my husband had to go to Galway for a operation it was a toss for Galway or Limerick (Ennis was not even in the equation). If you want to live by the sea its totally different to the Irish Sea. Its alot more windier my father in law is from Kilbaha (loop head) he has always mentioned I have not seen a storm like he has seen when he was living in Kilbaha. Whereas Clare is warmer than Leinster it is wetter as well ( that even has its pros too not as much frost etc). If you decide to go into rural part of Clare houses are hard to sell even in the celtic tiger days so be aware of that. Having said all that Clare has alot going for it. You also need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Janrey wrote: »
    Thanks all.Yes, we can both drive but really wouldn't envisage going into Ennis say for example,more than once a week if not a fortnight.But transport is a good point because to get anywhere really involves a car and I suppose that is why we are thinking just outside a village/town,maybe within walking distance.The hospital situation is also very important but I am thinking where does one draw the line between being aware of that importance and on the other hand,thinking in a positive mind set by preferring to hope for relatively good health.It seems also that most of Ireland,outside Dublin,is being punished by having hospitals downgraded and that is another day's, and more angry discussion.

You are right not to let the lack of hospitals influence your choice as it is happening across the country.

However, you say you are angry but where do you expect the money to come from? You said yourself that you and your wife have retired in your mid fifties and fair play to you. However all services, dole, pensions etc etc have to come out of the public purse and the less people working and the more retiring early means less money coming into the coffers and, in the cases of state pensions, more money going out.

On the topic, if you being near the sea is not a must have you could consider the village of Quinn. It is near the motorway, it's a nice vilage with nice pubs and restaurants and is ear Dromoland / Clare Inn for walks etc and not too far from Ennis

Yes flynnlives, Kinvara is nice but too expensive for us.Thanks golden8.We live in a very nice estate in west Dublin,but all that comes with estates,whilst being both positive and negative, has run it's course for us,looking to a detached house on 1/2 acre.There is no doubt you would be open to all the elements in the likes of Kilbaha so that is why we are thinking a bit inland.

jimd2 wrote: »
    You are right not to let the lack of hospitals influence your choice as it is happening across the country.

However, you say you are angry but where do you expect the money to come from? You said yourself that you and your wife have retired in your mid fifties and fair play to you. However all services, dole, pensions etc etc have to come out of the public purse and the less people working and the more retiring early means less money coming into the coffers and, in the cases of state pensions, more money going out.

On the topic, if you being near the sea is not a must have you could consider the village of Quinn. It is near the motorway, it's a nice vilage with nice pubs and restaurants and is ear Dromoland / Clare Inn for walks etc and not too far from Ennis
    Thanks jmd2.Looking back on previous threads, Quin did seem to get good reviews, so we are also looking at that.
    As for hospitals, money etc, I am sure that there are many discussions going on both on this site and other places of public domain so would prefer not to get into it here as I am here on this thread looking for help.However I will say that 'retired' seems to have acquired a sort of dirty name and questionable connotation by people presuming that all retired people are living off the fat of the pension.I had written a very honest description of the relatively modest way we live which by the way doesn't include any fat cat pension but deleted it as I can't be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Thanks jmd2.Looking back on previous threads, Quin did seem to get good reviews, so we are also looking at that.
    As for hospitals, money etc, I am sure that there are many discussions going on both on this site and other places of public domain so would prefer not to get into it here as I am here on this thread looking for help.However I will say that 'retired' seems to have acquired a sort of dirty name and questionable connotation by people presuming that all retired people are living off the fat of the pension.I had written a very honest description of the relatively modest way we live which by the way doesn't include any fat cat pension but deleted it as I can't be bothered.

No, dont get me wrong, I am sure it will be very tight for you and selling in Dublin and buying down the country is probably a necessary way for you to fund the retirement as well as getting to live in a lower cost /quieter area and best of luck on that. I cannot see myself having much of a pension either as one of the companies I worked for have messed up the fund after it closed. I am mentally prepared to work till 65 or later.

All I was trying to say is that the less people working and paying into the economy will effect the ability of the government to pay and I am sorry for linking that with the retirement. There are so many factors linked to where the economy is at the moment, for instance I see that some of the government are saying that they should have taxed the rich more.....I would have thought that that should have been obvious to them. I wonder are they saying that now because the USA are starting to tax the rich more?

On the overall move, the other thing I would suggest is to visit some of the places that you are thinking of in the winter as well as the summer as there may be a different feel during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

I live around the Miltown area, my parents use Vodafone internet through the landline and it works fine. And because my house has no landline, my boyfriend and I opted for Ripplecom. I've heard some complaints about them but it generally works just fine, a few hiccoughs every now and again but it's no worse than any other internet I've used.

Thanks jimd2.I actually agree with you totally in all you say and I am sorry to hear of your messed up pension fund.It probably does seem strange to say "retired in the mid fifties" with the inherent suggestion that to retire at that age must mean money but it is a 'retired' for many reasons, some of which are enforced and not that nice at times.You are right also in that it is for a healthier quieter way of living for the days of burning candle at both ends at most definitely passed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

A place like Spanish point might suit. Just outside miltown. You would still need to head to Kilrush or Ennis for lidl/aldi/food. You can get broadband in Miltown and Spanish Point. You won't get upc obviously but you can get dsl and fixed wireless. Most aminities and services are there, shop, health centre etc are all in Miltown malbay but you are a fair bit from Ennis in terms of getting to a hospital.

If you want to live in a village type area maybe Kilfenora or Ballyvaughan might be an option. Broadband again is the same.

I second Clareman on trying it first. There's no harm in it.

Check mobile coverage also if that is really important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Killaloe is a lovely town, about 20 minutes from Limerick and 50 from Ennis.
    Also Ogonnelleo is very scenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

babygirlz wrote: »
    Killaloe is a lovely town, about 20 minutes from Limerick and 50 from Ennis.
    Also Ogonnelleo is very scenic.
    Killaloe/Ballina is a scenic lakeside town with a strong community spirit, it's also less than two hours from Dublin with motorway all the way.

There is a post here about Killaloe

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79916846&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

An interesting thread
    A few places to consider
    Ennistymon
    New Market
    Inagh

Thank you everybody for the ongoing input and am getting a lot to think on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'd also pitch in a vote for Quin. It's nice and rural but you're not too far away from civilisation. I like the coast but it's a bit grim in the depths of winter.

Killaloe has it's charms. Nice coffee shops, delicatessens, restaurants and stuff you don't usually get in villages. You get the water without being quite as exposed as you are on the west coast.

Thanks Shapey Fiend

• Advertisement

I'd also pitch in a vote for Quin. It's nice and rural but you're not too far away from civilisation. I like the coast but it's a bit grim in the depths of winter.

Killaloe has it's charms. Nice coffee shops, delicatessens, restaurants and stuff you don't usually get in villages. You get the water without being quite as exposed as you are on the west coast.

"I like the coast but it's a bit grim in the depths of winter." That's your opinion, personally I find it very stimulating, especially when there are 50ft rollers coming in like I saw at Kilkee the weekend before last!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ennistymon or Kilfenora (esp. if you like music) would be my choice. Both not far from the sea but back a bit from the gales etc. in the winter. Not far from the main attractions and you can pick up a nice cottage at reasonable rates now. Whatever your choice you won't be too far wrong with north Clare.:)

Thanking everybody.I am not too concerned about grim winters myself.Have been looking since and I think it will be along the west/north side from MM and surrounding areas up towards the north.But it's about selling one house and finding another at the moment and it will be end of Feb before we will do anything on that as that is traditionally the best time to offer for sale.Yes saabsaab I do love the music but can't let that get in the way !! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

One thing I would say is to be prepared for significantly wetter weather down this side of the country as opposed to Dublin. Have spoken recently to a couple from Limerick who moved to 6 miles east of Miltown in the shadow of a large hill, and they notice more rainfall than in Limerick but also locally, and they suspect rightly it's their particular local topography.
    It may seem insignificant, but it is something you need to adapt to.

There is no doubt that the weather on the west coast being different from that on the east is an important factor.I think that it is probably wetter and windier and maybe slighter milder.I suppose my thinking is that no matter where you go,the weather will be slightly different.The midlands are generally warmer but also suffer extreme lower temps.Wexford is slightly milder as is West Cork.If one's health say for example required a warmer or drier climate, then the location would have to come second to the weather but if one wants to live in a specific area, then the weather and other aspects have to be accepted.
    Moving from one area to another certainly brings up some interesting questions.We live within a couple of hundred yards of everything you could ask for-supermarkets(2),library,book shop,clothes shops,schools,pub,hotel and bus stop to Dublin city centre.Another few mins will bring us to major shopping centres and you get to think about all those easily amenities being left behind.But with all that comes built up areas,traffic,noise and in Dublin, you can't have house on own land and not overlooked,peace and quiet,nice environment etc, be near all amenities unless you have lots and lots of money.Also whilst clothes shops,pubs,hotels etc are not a weekly or even monthly requirement for us,supermarkets and a few other facilities are obviously used more often but again, I am feeling that one thing has to be traded off against another.But I welcome all the different points of view because there is no doubt that it is a big move

One thing I would say is to be prepared for significantly wetter weather down this side of the country as opposed to Dublin. Have spoken recently to a couple from Limerick who moved to 6 miles east of Miltown in the shadow of a large hill, and they notice more rainfall than in Limerick but also locally, and they suspect rightly it's their particular local topography.
    It may seem insignificant, but it is something you need to adapt to.

I totally agree about the local topography affecting weather conditions. I too, live near the large hill you mention, and this definitely affects the weather in a relatively small area - micro-climate!

Where is this large hill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Where is this large hill ?

Probably Mount Callan, thats where the proposed Wind Farm is going to be.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3424:300-jobs-predicted-at-mount-callan-wind-farm&catid=65:west&Itemid=56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Jim Martin wrote: »
    I totally agree about the local topography affecting weather conditions. I too, live near the large hill you mention, and this definitely affects the weather in a relatively small area - micro-climate!

I agree aswell, I live in a valley between 2 mountains right by the coast and we get more rain than anywhere around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement