Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic/EMT's Wearing cameras while working

Options
  • 06-01-2013 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

This is something I came across recently, a medic in a certain club (which will remain nameless) wearing a camera on his body (presumably to record incidents he deals with). Now, I'd imagine that it would be highly inappropriate to record somebody who you are giving first aid to because of the sensitive nature of the job I.e embarrassing injuries/personal information/lack of consent (in the case of someone being unresponsive or unable to give consent).

Is there a law that says it's illegal for pre hospital workers to record incidents? Is it legal?

Does anyone have any other information on this?
    I thought it was very strange and was surprised to see it.

Look forward to hearing opinions on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

There are CCTV cameras situated in the rear of NAS ambulances so they must be permitted. Having said that there are notices informing patients/passengers that CCTV recording is taking place, perhaps this is where the law lays, notification?
    I also recall a couple of years back there was a documentary film crew filming ambulance crews on calls but permission for recording had to be sought from patients, family and other persons prior to the actual recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

The law states you can film/photograph anyone in a public place.

I don't know what the law is in regards to documenting patient - first aider interaction but I'm sure the vast amount of real life medical shows wouldn't be possible without it. Even the patients/staff that may not consent are still filmed and their faces/identifying marks are blurred.

I'm personally all for filming for learning, evidence, entertainment, etc etc.

I'm sure everyone that reads this thread has watched real life medical events on YouTube along with watching similar content on tv.

Ireland just seems to be really scared and afraid of these things, good and bad attitude to have IMHO.

Regards the camera he was wearing, thats pretty big in Europe, worn by most door men and community police. They usually have a small badge next to the camera displaying "cctv"

Leather%20Camera%20Pouch-med.jpg

This is from a newspaper article in 2009 in Oz..
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/smile-youre-on-bouncer-cam/story-e6frea83-1225793168994

Another article from UK police in 2012..
    http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/local/topstories/9957394.Police_officers_in_Sutton_trial_body_cameras/

I take photos of pt injuries before we dress them, scenes, vehicles involved in rtc's, helmets, etc to show A&E staff so they see the damage/impact at scenes and the wounds without having to removing bandaging. No patient has ever refused consent for this.

Advertisement