Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many people here has ever being a car with a drink driver?

Options
  • 06-01-2013 1:24am
    Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭

Well I a college student and before started college in 2011, I thought drink driving didn't happen that often and it was rarely young people that did it. However I experienced the opposite. I know about 20 people who have done it and 10 people who do it regularly.
    I know when I was a passenger in a car with a drink driver it was simple because I didn't want to walk home alone or feel left out for not getting in the car.
    So, How many people here has being a passenger in a car with a drink driver and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

I remember the good ol days when it was rarer to find a sober driver than a drunk one at times.

Now there's no pub life to speak of out in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

will.i.am wrote: »
    Well I a college student and before started college in 2011, I thought drink driving didn't happen that often and it was rarely young people that did it. However I experienced the opposite. I know about 20 people who have done it and 10 people who do it regularly.
    I know when I was a passenger in a car with a drink driver it was simple because I didn't want to walk home alone or feel left out for not getting in the car.
    So, How many people here has being a passenger in a car with a drink driver and why?

I'm sure alot of posters in the 30's+ have been, when they were kids with their parents. Probably quite common in the 80's and earlier, with completely different drink laws compared to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

What are you studying in college ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

many years ago from blackrock into town. felt like i was on the big dipper in blackpool pleasure beach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

All the time. Parents, workmates... Its a miracle i'm here at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I was in Where To's car before. He seemed drunk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i was, but i wouldnt of knowing he would of being drunk at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Used happen all the time-either that or walk home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

How many people here has ever being a car with a drink driver?
    I was a car in my second life, but then I ended up wrapped around a lamppost in Salthill, Galway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Every weekend when i was young fella, which is a bout 20 years ago, the father was over the senior hurling team so he was in the pub all day after a game and then drive us home off his tits. We never crashed though or came close to it. It definetly slowed him down on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hmmm, the 80's and 90's with my dad.

You haven't lived until you've been a passenger in a car with a flat tire and a slaughtered drunk driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,623 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MJ23 wrote: »

English i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

OP, your're young.

Back in the '80s & 90s, I often did.

In fact, back in those days, I was often the one behind the wheel.

That's the way things were back then....

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Sure have, purely down to times years ago being to drink to walk. (Surely this post should have a pole?)

Hmmm, the 80's and 90's with my dad.

You haven't lived until you've been a passenger in a car with a flat tire and a slaughtered drunk driver.

Maybe you could've just told him you disapprove of his behaviour? Bit severe imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Happened me once in college but didn't know that the driver who was female had drink taken until half way down the road. Then the other passengers in car who were drinking told me. The girl driving took out a big bottle of whiskey and floored a 1/4 of the bottle. I got scared then and i had been drinking as well before i sat into car but hadnt the guts to tell the girl who really liked me to stop and let me out. I was only 18 at the time. Really silly I was to let her continue driving. After that, i would never allow that to happen again, don't care who it was. I would speak my mind now before anything else. If she killed someone that night I would never forgive myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Nope, never to my knowledge. I never knowingly would either.

Though I think my taxi driver might have been locked one night... His driving was so bad that it scared me ****less and I walked the rest of the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I distinctly remember being run over in a pub car park in the 80's cos the driver was too locked to realise the passenger door was open and I was in the process of getting in.

It was all my fault though as i was making a dogs dinner of the "getting in" bit as the world wouldn't stay still for some reason. Different times I hear the shout, but I still know loads of people who drink drive, regularily. Personally, I don't, never did either really, I've seen it end very very badly. But it happens, no doubt at all about it. It's a bad idea, whatever way you look at it.

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

MJ23 wrote: »

Cork Institute of Technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

Did it once one of my stupidest decisions ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

will.i.am wrote: »
    Cork Institute of Technology.

Your studying a college in college? ****ing hell that must be tough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Maybe you could've just told him you disapprove of his behaviour? Bit severe imho.

I was only 10 in the late 80's my self, and maybe like the poster and many other kids my age, we didn;t tell our old man he couldn't drive, as drink driving wasn't frowned apon any where near the way it is now.

I have taken the keys off my dad in my teens, but never did before that.

irish-stew wrote: »
    I was only 10 in the late 80's my self, and maybe like the poster and many other kids my age, we didn;t tell our old man he couldn't drive, as drink driving wasn't frowned apon any where near the way it is now.

I have taken the keys off my dad in my teens, but never did before that.

Killing the guy though????? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Plenty, it's great craic driving between all the country pubs having a few pints.

I don't condone this action btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I lived thru all that era of drink driving.

It's funny how things change.

As a people, we've become 'risk adversive'.

Danger is not an option anymore.

I was looking at a programme on History channel recently, about the Moon landings.

There was an awful lot of risk & danger involved in getting those men on the Moon.

At the end of the programme it was admitted that NASA would not do anything like that now.

Too much risk involved.

I don't aprove of drink driving, but, where is society going to go if it looks at danger around every corner?

My tuppence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 beefstew

My local taxi driver was an alcoholic, one time at a well known crossroads in the town i live he pulled up, got out of the car, walks around for a minute hops back in and has to ask me where we were. The man was notorious for it!

I don't aprove of drink driving, but, where is society going to go if it looks at danger around every corner?

My tuppence.

It's the iron cage of rationality innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Driving with a small bit of drink on you is fine IMO. Driving when drunk is indefensible no matter what the "good old days" crowd say.

• Advertisement

Madam_X wrote: »
    Driving with a small bit of drink on you is fine IMO. Driving when drunk is indefensible no matter what the "good old days" crowd say.

It's the 'if a tree falls in a wood' situation if you ask me.

If you live in the arse end of nowhere, there won't be anyone on the roads late at night to be a danger to.

I don't think the city folk what make these rules realize just how isolated parts of this country are.

Advertisement