Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time work in Carlow for students??

Options
  • 05-01-2013 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hiya, just want to know if anyone knows of any job vacancies open around Carlow? I am doing a PLC course full-time, so I really need to find something either for the rest of the year or for the summer. I have looked through newspapers and job sites but still found nothing, so just decided to start this thread just in case anyone found any vacant jobs recently? I know jobs are hard to find, but I thought I just take a chance and ask anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Some of the shops hire staff part-time ..

Without knowing more about you it's not that easy to make any other suggestions ie. what skills / experience do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

Blacknight wrote: »
    Some of the shops hire staff part-time ..

Without knowing more about you it's not that easy to make any other suggestions ie. what skills / experience do you have?

The only work experiance I ever had was from school, I have worked in the bakery in tesco, work in a kitchen in a fancy hotel, and did work in a community centre.

I mean I am not great with the whole finding a job thing, I mean could u walk into a shop or pub and ask if they have any vacancies going, or would you have to look through the ads only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Nothing ventured nothing gained lol.

Maybe have a look at those businesses that seem busy and call in, maybe have a few cv's/cover letters made up.

I think Raths were looking but not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

rox5 wrote: »
    walk into a shop or pub and ask if they have any vacancies going, or would you have to look through the ads

to best honest I personally would do both and the walk in especially with pubs and clubs. Always a good idea to have a CV with you when approaching any business about a job

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Any time I pass Abrekebra they always seem to have an ad in the window looking for staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I mean I am not great with the whole finding a job thing, I mean could u walk into a shop or pub and ask if they have any vacancies going, or would you have to look through the ads only?
    Do both

A lot of businesses don't advertise vacancies since they don't need to - people come to them all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

Rox,

I was walking past shaws today and thought of you. There is an ad in the window looking for a part time assistant in Warehouse in there.

Do up your cv, dress smartly, good hair, nails, min makeup etc and go in with cv and try to talk to the manager in there - mainly shops look for pleasant capable people and it's a natural progression from your previous jobs.

If the manager isn't there, be friendly to the girls working there, leave the cv and say you'll call back when the manager is in. And do go back in until you get the manager.

Sorry, hope it doesn't sound preachy and most importantly - BEST OF LUCK !

Regards,
    Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

noticed today mcdonalds are recruting you could do far worse than there to work

Tried warehouse and mcdonalds but didnt get it. Does anyone know if Cash and Carry are still hiring because I remembe rthey had an ad a few weeks ago but never looked into it.

Tried warehouse and mcdonalds but didnt get it. Does anyone know if Cash and Carry are still hiring because I remembe rthey had an ad a few weeks ago but never looked into it.

Which one ? Perrys, swans, or Value Centre ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I have to admit, the chances of find a job in a local shop for the first two months after Christmas are slim. That doesn't mean you should try.
    Get a good CV together. Ask someone in the college for a hand with it. Once you're happy with the CV, hand them in everywhere! and I mean that! I know a guy who gave out 30 odd CV's a week until he got a job. Not the ideal thing to do, but it worked for him!
    The next best time, at least from what I've seen over the past year or two, is March. The Christmas slump is over, and people start to spend a little again. Make sure you have CV's in anywhere you'd be willing to work for then!

I don't know if you'd be interested, but I know some people doing some commission work. They earn a % of the money made on a sale. No set wage, so it's all about how good you are. If you would be interested, let me know via a PM

Owryan wrote: »
    Which one ? Perrys, swans, or Value Centre ?

Value Centre, the one near Sandhills Shopping Centre

Value Centre, the one near Sandhills Shopping Centre

Tullow rd ? used to work there lol . good look with that

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Owryan wrote: »
    Tullow rd ? used to work there lol . good look with that

Why whats wrong with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Just a thought. Think of all the people you know, and then ask them (repeatedly) if there's anything going where they work. Sometimes employers will take on someone on the recommendation of a current employee. Use your contacts, and good luck!

Why whats wrong with it ?

Nothing .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Advertisement