Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off the beer for January?

Options
  • 05-01-2013 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭

Right folks, after a hard Christmas I've decided to try give up drinking for January. Doing it for my health and my bank balance really.
    Just wondering if it's a popular thing to do and if any of ye are doing the same and if you are how are enjoying your first Saturday night? I'm happy out lying on the couch watching Graeme Norton and pricking on the laptop:)

Giving up drinking for January? 63 votes

Yes I'm giving it up
    0% 0 votes
    No, not giving it up
    39% 25 votes
    Haven't decided yet
    50% 32 votes
    Don't drink
    9% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Pfffft you sir can never call yourself irish again.

For shame, for shame

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I will be back on the 'gas' next Saturday lunchtime I would imagine. Injury has me at home tonight.

I never give up in January, pointless imo, you only end up going mad in Feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I've given it up altogether after realising I'm a really annoying drunk

Might have a glass tonight, but that's all I'll have!

I've given it up altogether after realising I'm a really annoying drunk

We are all annoying drunks tbh. Go on a night out and remain sober, you will soon see this. By midnight you'll be at home in your bed with your head melted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

yeah...thats what you say now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

Yep giving up wine, gave it up for a few years 3 years ago. It's was the healthiest I ever felt want to get back to that. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

kfallon wrote: »
    I will be back on the 'gas' next Saturday lunchtime I would imagine. Injury has me at home tonight.

thats a 'binjury' you have

im not off it, i have cans in the fridge since before new years that i havent touched but ill have one when i feel like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm a pioneer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

We are all annoying drunks tbh. Go on a night out and remain sober, you will soon see this. By midnight you'll be at home in your bed with your head melted

Yeah I hate being sober around drunk people. It's so draining...

thats a 'binjury' you have

im not off it, i have cans in the fridge since before new years that i havent touched but ill have one when i feel like it

I can barely walk, tweaked my groin (oooo matron) at football the other night. Did think about getting a taxi to the local tho :p

• Advertisement

Yeah I hate being sober around drunk people. It's so draining...

I did it about 10 years ago, swore after that night never again! If I'm not drinking then I'm not going out. Have gone to the pub to watch a game and had Lucozade but I'm outta there before things get messy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

No.

What's so special about January?

No.

What's so special about January?

Tbh a lot of people give it up as they are broke after Xmas! Or the 'seasonal' drinker tell you some bullshit that they had so many parties/nights out over the festive period that they need to give their liver a rest.

Then they'll rest it til Paddy's day and then rest it again til *spits on ground* Arthur's Day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Where To wrote: »
    I'm a pioneer.

Where ya going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

These threads always fascinate me, the levels of alcohol abuse in this country are genuinely frightening when you really think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

irish son wrote: »
    Right folks, after a hard Christmas I've decided to try give up drinking for January. Doing it for my health and my bank balance really.
    Just wondering if it's a popular thing to do and if any of ye are doing the same and if you are how are enjoying your first Saturday night? I'm happy out lying on the couch watching Graeme Norton and pricking on the laptop:)

Been there, done that. "I'm giving up beer for x, y and z timeline, often pronounced as a matter of months on end. 2 days later, Im down in the pub, always with a convenient excuse "sure it's my girlfriends mothers birthday, why not."

If you manage it though, good for you buddy. But just remember, all is easier said than done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Where ya going?
    Where no man has gone before.

Victoria's Secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

This is the first year I've decided to give up drink in January. I've been to the pub once, then out for dinner with friends last night and they were all drinking. Still not had a drink.

I know it's early but if I can do it, anyone can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

orestes wrote: »
    These threads always fascinate me, the levels of alcohol abuse in this country are genuinely frightening when you really think about it.

That's another reason I want to do it, I feel if I can stop for a month then I'll know I don't have a problem and can control my drinking. I'll know I drink because I want to and not because I have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Nothing wrong with giving it up in January.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm giving it up for good. Don't even drink much and when I do, I feel so depressed the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

irish son wrote: »
    That's another reason I want to do it, I feel if I can stop for a month then I'll know I don't have a problem and can control my drinking. I'll know I drink because I want to and not because I have to.

Sorry about this, but one of the generally agreed signs of a drinking problem (or the beginnings of one) is quitting occasionally for a pre-determined amount of time to prove you don't have a drinking problem. Bit of a catch 22 eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I like that. I'm going to start saying it.

Or the second week of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Cutting down, that's about it

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Quitting is for losers.

mackg wrote: »
    I like that. I'm going to start saying it.

Fire away trout, fire away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

I didn't drink much over Christmas, which is probably why I'm drinkng some beers now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Jev/N wrote: »
    Cutting down, that's about it

Reckon that's the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Yep I'm off it, my conditioning has gone to bits so I'm cleaning up my diet and alcohol comes in under the list of no-nos. I could do with going off it for longer but a month will do for now! It should help with shedding the post-Christmas spare tyre as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement