Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etiquette question

Options
  • 05-01-2013 4:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

I am going to a birthday party next week - at my mate's house. It's his birthday. He's providing food and probably some booze.

I am bringing some beer for myself (so I don't end up drinking his), a birthday card and a birthday present.

Do I need to bring a bottle of wine for the host or is the birthday present enough on its own?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Does he like wine? Will it be drank on the night?

If either of those are a yes then bring the wine. As long as it's not absolute muck I've never of heard anyone being upset about being gifted wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Geri Male wrote: »
    I am going to a birthday party next week - at my mate's house. It's his birthday. He's providing food and probably some booze.

I am bringing some beer for myself (so I don't end up drinking his), a birthday card and a birthday present.

Do I need to bring a bottle of wine for the host or is the birthday present enough on its own?
    I always thought the bread was the host, not the wine. Why are yous celebrating communion anyway, may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If you are bringing a present then I don't think you need to bring a bottle of wine also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

Where To wrote: »
    I always thought the bread was the host, not the wine. Why are yous celebrating communion anyway, may I ask?

My father's name is Powder.

Schism wrote: »
    Does he like wine? Will it be drank on the night?

If either of those are a yes then bring the wine. As long as it's not absolute muck I've never of heard anyone being upset about being gifted wine.

He drinks it but will probably be drinking beer on the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Card and present is loads OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it would be nice to bring something, but if you are bringing a meaningful present, it need not be substantial.

Its not necessary to bring the wine but if you have it, why not.

Its not necessary to bring the wine but if you have it, why not.

Thanks. Don't have any wine here and unsure what to buy. I've bought him a nice present that'll he appreciate (checked with his girlfriend to make sure he didn't have it already) so will probably leave it at that.

Another friend of mine is bringing a bottle of wine but I'm pretty sure he ain't got a present.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Nah, no need to bother with bringing wine. Maybe a few extra cans? That's what the birthday boy is drinking and it's what you're drinking.

I always thought the general rule with going to a BYOB party was to bring a few spare of whatever you're drinking in case someone needs them and/or so you don't get annoyed when someone bums a few off you and leaves you short. Another nice and cheap thing is to bring some bottles of coke in case there's non-drinkers there and so the spirit drinkers don't get short on mixers. It's cheaper than a bottle of wine but still thoughtful.

Generally I'd only bring a bottle of wine if someone was cooking me dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Depends........ Is his ould lad one of the top partners in KPMG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Good thinking bringing your own beer to drink. Nothing worse than getting lumbered with a sh*tty Miller/Budweiser at these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Fair play to you OP for bringing your own and more.
    Its shocking the amount of people turn up to house parties empty handed and still manage to get pissed.
    I fcukin hate freeloaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Bringing the gift is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Fair play to you OP for bringing your own and more.
    Its shocking the amount of people turn up to house parties empty handed and still manage to get pissed.
    I fcukin hate freeloaders.

Don't have parties at your house so......problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

Bring the wine as the present. Get a decent bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

mikom wrote: »
    Depends........ Is his ould lad one of the top partners in KPMG?

If so, throw some gargle into the sister. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

What age are they? I got my friend some cat food for a 21st. He doesn't own a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Bringing the gift is good enough.

Not everyone likes strippergrams

Advertisement