Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Indian Café in Cork

Options
  • 05-01-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭

I just thought people on this forum might be interested in a new South Indian vegetarian café and take away called Iyer's which has opened on Pope's Quay in Cork. Let's just say that the food is very good and very fresh, café is small but very simply and nicely decorated and Iyre who cooks the food seems like a lovely guy. I want this place to succeed so I implore the veggies of Cork to try it out - I'm sure if you do you will return. I have no connection with this place (I'm not even vegetarian) other than hoping that a café near me with very good food does well. Oh, it's very reasonably priced too!:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Serendipity99

Any vegan options?
    ;)
    Would love to try it if they do...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any vegan options?
    ;)

I'm sure he would sort you out.
    I know what I had had ghee in it but I think the other dishes were vegan.
    Go and talk to him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I just thought people on this forum might be interested in a new South Indian vegetarian café and take away called Iyer's which has opened on Pope's Quay in Cork. Let's just say that the food is very good and very fresh, café is small but very simply and nicely decorated and Iyre who cooks the food seems like a lovely guy. I want this place to succeed so I implore the veggies of Cork to try it out - I'm sure if you do you will return. I have no connection with this place (I'm not even vegetarian) other than hoping that a café near me with very good food does well. Oh, it's very reasonably priced too!:D

What's the name of the place?
    Do they have a website or online menu?
    Are they open for lunches?
    My husband works quite near there and is a total fiend for a curry... :D

Edit : Sorry, too early for my reading comprehension skills, you've already given the name. I'll most certainly will give it a try and spread the word.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Do they have a website or online menu?
    Are they open for lunches?
    My husband works quite near there and is a total fiend for a curry... :D

I couldn't find a website.
    Menu is tiny and changes daily.
    Yes, open for lunch.

Any vegan options?
    ;)
    Menu expand somewhat now and most dishes marked as vegan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Hi there, where exactly on Pope's Quay? Which side of the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

From the Coal Quay walk across the pedestrian bridge and it's to your right on Pope's Quay(northside).

South Indian food heaven - hopefully people will learn that not every Indian dish is covered in clarified butter.

Have anyone tried the Bullet Bondas?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

madrabui wrote: »
    From the Coal Quay walk across the pedestrian bridge and it's to your right on Pope's Quay(northside).

South Indian food heaven - hopefully people will learn that not every Indian dish is covered in clarified butter.

Have anyone tried the Bullet Bondas?

Thank you. I went there for lunch today, and it was super! I will certainly be back.

(I have no connection with the place, just delighted to have such a lovely cafe open locally)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wexartgirl

I came across this post thanks to Dee's status on Facebook about this cafe, so my friend and I went there today....
    WE LOVED IT. It is small but it had not only really nice staff and service, but a warm atmosphere, great prices, and great flavours.
    Highly recommended by us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The food is nice enough, as are the staff. The portions aren't big at all though: Lots of rice but not enough of anything else. Served on a compartmentalised tray instead of a plate. Cost a tenner, which I thought was a bit much for what it was. Disappointed; had been looking forward to trying it. Is the vegetarian restaurant above the coop better?

• Advertisement

The food is nice enough, as are the staff. The portions aren't big at all though: Lots of rice but not enough of anything else. Served on a compartmentalised tray instead of a plate. Cost a tenner, which I thought was a bit much for what it was. Disappointed; had been looking forward to trying it. Is the vegetarian restaurant above the coop better?
    I have to agree that the Thali you describe is probably the least value item on the menu. I like the fact it's served on the tray but the portions of the vegetables need to be bigger, alright. Everything else on the menu is far better value.

I have to agree that the Thali you describe is probably the least value item on the menu. I like the fact it's served on the tray but the portions of the vegetables need to be bigger, alright. Everything else on the menu is far better value.
    I might give it another try then. What would you recommend?

The masala dosa seems to be very popular with everybody (€5.50) but go in and ask about the menu, unless it's screaming busy they'll happily chat at length about the food.

When I went back soon after that post I got a funny vibe from the staff, who seemed to disapprove of my time of going or something. and the food was again spectacularly unimpressive. Don't remember what I ate.

The vegetarian restaurant above the coop is very good indeed on the other hand. Definitely recommend it. Annoyed that I haven't been going there regularly and that I went twice to the bad indian café.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 madrasi

When I went back soon after that post I got a funny vibe from the staff, who seemed to disapprove of my time of going or something. and the food was again spectacularly unimpressive. Don't remember what I ate.

The vegetarian restaurant above the coop is very good indeed on the other hand. Definitely recommend it. Annoyed that I haven't been going there regularly and that I went twice to the bad indian café.

It is very strange to hear you say that. I have eaten in Iyers cafe four times already now and each time the food was just too good. Iam from south india and the food is as close to a homecooked traditional meal as you can get outside tamilnadu. Also I found the staff very friendly and the service good every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭opus

Was in Iyers for the first time for lunch today & really liked it. Good reasonable food so will definitely be making a return visit at some stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Serendipity99

http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=37353

If anyone wants to post a review of the food at Iyer's you can put one on the Happy Cow - at the moment there are no reviews...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

Shame it doesn't seem to be open in the evenings. Would really like to check it out.

vrobot wrote: »
    Shame it doesn't seem to be open in the evenings. Would really like to check it out.

He will open in the evening by arrangement.
    He'll take 8 - 10 people and he says he can experiment with regions/styles much more for a single sitting. I think he mentioned €20 a head but don't quote me on that. BYOB isn't a problem either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 sachieauckland

hi,
    south Indian food is just incredible, people fall in love with it once they eat it.

• Advertisement

Just a heads up for anyone who thought that Iyer's had closed down.
    It hasn't.
    The proprietor, broke his foot and had to close for about 5 weeks but he's well and truly up and running again and it's as good as ever.:D

Advertisement