Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STRAIGHT EDGE TATTOOS

Options
  • 05-01-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I recently read a post in another forum regarding the "Straight Edge " culture and their tattoos. For those who are not familiar, "Straight edge is a subculture and subgenre of hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from using alcohol, tobacco, and other recreational drugs."

So do any of you tattoo collectors identify yourself as straight edge, and if so do you have any associated tattoos? I refrain from using tobacco to keep my body healthy, I refrain from drugs to keep my mind healthy, and I refrain from alcohol for the health of other...all three I have used extensively in the past .

Does that make me straight edge, and if so, what are your thoughts on related tattoos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

ugh straight edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't do any of the three of them either. I'm not "Straight Edge", as I feel no need to associate with any group in particular, or to pigeon-hole myself like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭bubblebery

I don't do any of the three of them either. I'm not "Straight Edge", as I feel no need to associate with any group in particular, or to pigeon-hole myself like that.

I would agree, but the concept interests me... In the states there are a huge number of kids...late teens, early twenties who are battling addiction problems, and the straight edge thing seems to give them a sense of belonging.... Which I guess is positive... Being recognised for the positive choices they make while still keeping their "edge".

Usually the tattoos have an old school feel, which unfortunately is not so popular on this side of the pond .

Check these out ( I hope this is allowed...I have no connection to the site)

http://straightedgetattoos.tumblr.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The whole Straight Edge thing is weird to me.

I dont see why someone is proud of not drinking,smoking or doing drugs, its a personal choice and IMO nothing to be overly proud of. I dont smoke or do drugs, barely ever drink but i dont feel the need to tattoo an "X" on myself to let everyone know.

I'd agree, that if it's helping someone deal with problems in their life, then it can be a good thing.

• Advertisement

Some people think that drug and alcohol addiction is a disease, similar to mental illness or cancer, for many of them, active addiction lead to a breakdown in relationships with family and friends, they may have lost their home, their job, their sanity and so want to celebrate the fact that they overcame their struggle and remember what a huge mistake it would be to forget their past.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id have to say straight edge wouldnt be for me.

I smoke like a chimney.Drink like a fish and have been know to dabble in the odd illegal substance every now and again.

I dont get the whole straight edge stuff.I especially dont get the fact that its a subculture of punk.The punks back in the day did all of the above in more excess than we ever did.How they can suddenly become like born again christians yet still call themselves "punk" doesnt make sense.

However Id never put anyone down for being straight edge.Each to their own and all that.Its just not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

The problem with straight edge is the elitism that goes on. A lot of guys who are straight edge will happily hang out at bars with their friends who drink and smoke, but a lot wont, and feel the need to announce it everywhere they go. Kind of like how insufferable some vegans can be when faced with other people eating meat.

Also if you're deciding to identify as straight edge, don't rush into any x tattoos. One sip of alcohol at a wedding and you're considered no longer straight edge. There's a popular saying within the movement, "If you're not now, you never were" so it should be a really big decision, not just wanting to belong to the movement.

Anyway as Damo said, no need to pigeon hole yourself. My parents are both straight edge by definition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

bubblebery wrote: »
    Does that make me straight edge, and if so, what are your thoughts on related tattoos?

The difference between being straight edge and not smoking, not drinking and not taking drugs is simply saying you're straight edge and making a commitment to it long term, having tattoos actually has little to do with straight edge, I know a couple of people heavily involved in the straight edge scene in London (putting on gigs, other drug/alcohol free nights out/social events) who have no tattoos at all. The tattoo thing came as tattoos go well with long term commitments, same as a Dad getting his kids named tattooed on etc.

I'm not straight edge, but I see it as only a good thing for people that are if they need support. It's the exact same as any other non-drinkers groups which have been around for years, and countless people will cite those as a huge resource for support and the opportunity to meet like minded people, and there's nothing wrong with that seeing as by not drinking you're the odd one out in today's society, and drugs are the norm in a lot of social circles too.

Even this thread, it only took one comment to get a;
    Arawn wrote: »
    ugh straight edge.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

feel the need to announce it everywhere they go. Kind of like how insufferable some vegans can be when faced with other people eating meat.

Thats exactly it.And their choice of tattoos also "announce" it so to speak.

Why does there have to be a "straight edge" tattoo?

Do GLBT`s have to announce it with a particular tattoo?

Its the same thing really.

Just be what you want to be--you dont have to tell the world about it.That makes you look a bit knobbish to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

bubblebery wrote: »
    I recently read a post in another forum regarding the "Straight Edge " culture and their tattoos. For those who are not familiar, "Straight edge is a subculture and subgenre of hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from using alcohol, tobacco, and other recreational drugs."

So do any of you tattoo collectors identify yourself as straight edge, and if so do you have any associated tattoos? I refrain from using tobacco to keep my body healthy, I refrain from drugs to keep my mind healthy, and I refrain from alcohol for the health of other...all three I have used extensively in the past .

Sounds like the tattoo equivalent of beats headphones.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I dont get the whole straight edge stuff.I especially dont get the fact that its a subculture of punk.The punks back in the day did all of the above in more excess than we ever did.

In fairness from what I've seen a lot of them have gone to great lengths to try and make 'straight edge hardcore' it's own thing, and I think it is seen largely as a seperate movement these days. Although yeah hardcore has a punk influence of course.
    How they can suddenly become like born again christians yet still call themselves "punk" doesnt make sense.

I completely understand why people think this, it's a shame. It's the exact same as any Born again Christian or vegan or traveller giving a their 'group' a bad name. But in actuality most Christians don't knock on your door, most vegans won't rant and object if you eat in front of them.
    The problem with straight edge is the elitism that goes on. A lot of guys who are straight edge will happily hang out at bars with their friends who drink and smoke, but a lot wont, and feel the need to announce it everywhere they go. Kind of like how insufferable some vegans can be when faced with other people eating meat.

Same as above, I doubt 'a lot of' straight edge people actually do this, but it only takes a couple to give everyone involved a reputation. Even if they are extensively tattooed, I've never actually met anybody who's as offence as you perceive a face tattoo.

Same as above, I doubt 'a lot of' straight edge people actually do this, but it only takes a couple to give everyone involved a reputation. Even if they are extensively tattooed, I've never actually met anybody who's as offence as you perceive a face tattoo.

I'm not sure if you're straight edge yourself and feel the need to defend it, but in my experience as someone whos been into punk music a long time with a lot of like minded friends, the edge guys who'll come to a pub and have a laugh with everyone are very much in the minority, and the ones who consider themselves special and superior are definitely the majority.

With that said, there's a lot of well known sXe people such as CM Punk, who don't preach it in real life (unlike his onscreen character for those familiar) but encourage it. Same with guys like Davey from AFI.

Thats exactly it.And their choice of tattoos also "announce" it so to speak.

I'm in two minds about this. Somebody having a big X tattooed on their neck/side of face (bear in mind, most people involved with straight edge don't have this), is only as offence as how you perceive face/neck tattoos. There isn't anything offence associated with their symbol or movement (that I'm aware of), so it shouldn't be a problem.

It's the same as somebody having a "Only god can judge me" or 'Vegan' tattoo.

Why does there have to be a "straight edge" tattoo?

It'd be stupid to deny that tattoos aren't a big part of straight edge today, but it's being involved with the movement that makes you straight edge, it just so happens that it's quite fashionable/a lot of young people are involved/tattoos are cool. But having a straight edge tattoo doesn't make you straight edge.
    Do GLBT`s have to announce it with a particular tattoo?

This is what I was getting at above, obviously it's being L, G, B or T that makes you part of LGBT. It's just common assumption, if someone said "picture a gay man", a lot of people would probably picture a guy acting ' camp'. If somebody said "picture a straight edge man", I'd picture someone covered in tattoos singing for a hardcore band. Neither of these are true really.

Just be what you want to be--you dont have to tell the world about it.That makes you look a bit knobbish to be honest.

I totally agree, I don't eat meat but I've actually had a vegan start lecturing me about eating meat etc. Although they would never have seen me eat any. And the Christians knocking on my front door piss me off as much as the next guy, but I reckon I lot of people I meet everyday are probably practising Christians but I'll never know unless I ask.

I'm not sure if you're straight edge yourself and feel the need to defend it, but in my experience as someone whos been into punk music a long time with a lot of like minded friends, the edge guys who'll come to a pub and have a laugh with everyone are very much in the minority, and the ones who consider themselves special and superior are definitely the majority.

I'm definitely not straight edge and I'm not gonna spend all night on here defending it either, but I just wanted to say something I think when I read the first reply.

I don't really have much to say other than our experiences have been different then, I don't know that many so perhaps the few I know are unrepresentative of the actual majority, or perhaps the few you've met are unrepresentative of the actual majority. I don't know like, have you met many?

Of the straight edge people I see around a lot, I've seen most of them in a bar and yeah they go out like anybody else, only exception is they drink the non-alco erdinger or lucozade or something. Never seen them lecturing or anything, but maybe you're right and I just know less 'in your face SxE' people.
    With that said, there's a lot of well known sXe people such as CM Punk, who don't preach it in real life (unlike his onscreen character for those familiar) but encourage it. Same with guys like Davey from AFI.

I'm not gonna disagree here cause I don't see anything wrong with 'encouraging' a cause. Same as seeing bands encouraging their fans to check out Christianity, the Zeitgeist movement, a charity etc. I see it as encouragement is fine, preaching isn't. When I was talking about the people I know involved with pushing the scene in London they seemed to be very wary of this, when they hold other events not immediately associated with SxE, for example, they would get in somebody who would talk about alcohol in society today. They always welcome and invite new members, but they understood it was important not to go around dropping leaflets in people's doors, and of course people who did drink were welcome to come along. Same as any religion/society.

I didn't mean to come across as being overly-defensive btw. Like, I'd only tell people I'm a vegetarian if they asked if I was/offered me dinner, so I've always been taken back when people not knowing I am make some statement in front of me like "God vegetarians are so gay" - and some people really do this. So I just wanted to throw my two cents in before the thread descended into straight edge bashing 'cause it's not representative of the edge lads and girls I've met. (And there are of course misconceptions, like the assumption that everybody in straight edge has an X tattoo etc.)

Like I said, not gonna spend all night defending it, cause I'm not really a big keyboard warrior, and it's a Saturday night and I have a Smooth curve meeting at the pub :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Straight edge tattoos? hard to do freehand, lines turn out a bit wobbly.
    but shur as long as they stay inside the lines when its being coloured in, 'tis grand.

ps.
    DRUG'AIL SAOR

Straight edge tattoos? hard to do freehand, lines turn out a bit wobbly.
    but shur as long as they stay inside the lines when its being coloured in, 'tis grand.

ps.
    DRUG'AIL SAOR

Don't be taking the piss please.

I didn't mean to come across as being overly-defensive btw. Like, I'd only tell people I'm a vegetarian if they asked if I was/offered me dinner, so I've always been taken back when people not knowing I am make some statement in front of me like "God vegetarians are so gay" - and some people really do this. So I just wanted to throw my two cents in before the thread descended into straight edge bashing 'cause it's not representative of the edge lads and girls I've met. (And there are of course misconceptions, like the assumption that everybody in straight edge has an X tattoo etc.)

Like I said, not gonna spend all night defending it, cause I'm not really a big keyboard warrior, and it's a Saturday night and I have a Smooth curve meeting at the pub :pac:

Not at all man, and I meant there's nothing wrong with encouraging it, as it's obviously a good lifestyle to lead! It's the preaching that I take issue with, as I would anyone preaching anything that may not work for others. As I said, I've met a lot of bad ones, but also sound lads who live that way, some of whom don't even call themselves sXe and some who are tattooed with xs, and I'd rather hang out with some of them instead of some of my drinking buddies!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Only straight edge person I know with tattoos to that effect is CM Punk who wrestles for the WWE. He has "Straight edge" in a curve over his stomach, and I think he has "Drug Free" done on his fingers. He doesn't have the X tattooed on the back of his hands, but he does tape up his hands and draws the X on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't have a problem with straight edge people. I hate that a lot of them are elitist about it.

I used to smoke (6 days off, wahey!), I drink alcohol as though I need it to survive, and I've tried the vast majority of illicit drugs at least once (although I no longer use any illegal drugs, ever). So I would fail miserably.

However, I don't go and get tattoos proclaiming that I choose to drink. That'd be a bit bloody stupid, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

The difference between being straight edge and not smoking, not drinking and not taking drugs is simply saying you're straight edge and making a commitment to it long term, having tattoos actually has little to do with straight edge, I know a couple of people heavily involved in the straight edge scene in London (putting on gigs, other drug/alcohol free nights out/social events) who have no tattoos at all. The tattoo thing came as tattoos go well with long term commitments, same as a Dad getting his kids named tattooed on etc.

I'm not straight edge, but I see it as only a good thing for people that are if they need support. It's the exact same as any other non-drinkers groups which have been around for years, and countless people will cite those as a huge resource for support and the opportunity to meet like minded people, and there's nothing wrong with that seeing as by not drinking you're the odd one out in today's society, and drugs are the norm in a lot of social circles too.

Even this thread, it only took one comment to get a;

Sounds like the pioneer pledge to me. Do your self a favour and just get the P Pin. At least you can leave it at home now and then :rolleyes:

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Sounds like the pioneer pledge to me. Do your self a favour and just get the P Pin. At least you can leave it at home now and then :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::pac::cool::confused::confused::P:cool::rolleyes::rolleyes:

;)

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    However, I don't go and get tattoos proclaiming that I choose to drink. That'd be a bit bloody stupid, wouldn't it?

Tattoos are a celebration... dependent on the culture they can mean many things... whats wrong with celebrating something you feel has changed your life (which is how most addicts feel when they finally stop). When I stopped drinking weird things happened...I found someone who loved me, I got married, had a child, started a successful business. None of this would have happened if I was still abusing drugs and alcohol.

If I was to get my daughters name tattooed it would be cool, but if I get a tattoo as a mark of respect for the people and places that made that possible, its deemed stupid?

Advertisement