Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New hard drive

Options
  • 05-01-2013 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I want to upgrade my MacBook Pro hard drive from a 250gb to a 500 gb. Is this costly? Also how will I transfer my old stuff onto the new hard drive?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can get regular HDD notebook drives fairly cheaply. But you might want consider getting an SSD if your Mac supports it. Pricier but the performance boost over a HDD is huge.

As for transferring your data, just restore from a backup using either Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner. If you don't have a backup drive then getting one should be a priority before you even think about replacing the internal drive.

You can pickup a hybrid drive for around 100 euro for a 750Gig. I did this over xmas and I'm delighted with the results - Faster transfer speeds, quicker boot time, more storage...

It's also very simple to clone the drive. Best way to do it is buy something like this and you can clone the drive. Will also allow you to use new drive as time machine if desired.

Advertisement