Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Impact driver question

• 05-01-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,898 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Spotted this in Argos it's an impact driver for €139.99, anyone know if it would be of any use for loosening bolts on a car or would it not be strong enough. I'd like one to be able to do wheel bolts and general engine tinkering :D.

97-7114308SPA78UC1184980M.jpg
    Features:
    • Compact size.
    • Light weight .
    • Integrated belt clip & magnetic bit holder.
    • 10.8V.
    • Variable speed.
    • Speed 0-2400rpm.
    • Reverse function.
    • 30hrs charging time.
    • 6mm keyless chuck.
    • 1 gear.
    • 1 torque setting.
    • Maximum torque 107Nm.
    • 2500 blows per minute.
    • Temperature overload function which shuts down unit automatically if it overheats.
    • LED power indicator.
    • Soft grip handle.
    • Accessories included: 30 minute charger, 1 battery, kit box carry case & 1 screwdriver bit.
    • Double ended screw bit included.
    • Carry case.
    • Drill weight 2.42kg.
    • Manufacturer's 3 year guarantee (excludes professional use).
    • EAN/MPN/UPC/ISBN: 5035048401392.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7114308/Trail/searchtext%3EFATMAX.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

That wouldn't be strong enough, especially as its 10.8v. Also, that's an impact driver which takes a hex bit, its pretty much a slightly stronger screw gun. What you want is an impact wrench to take the wheels off, which will come with a 3/8" or 1/2" square bit for sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,898 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    That wouldn't be strong enough, especially as its 10.8v. Also, that's an impact driver which takes a hex bit, its pretty much a slightly stronger screw gun. What you want is an impact wrench to take the wheels off, which will come with a 3/8" or 1/2" square bit for sockets.

Cheers was thinking it was a bit cheap to be able to do everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Cheers was thinking it was a bit cheap to be able to do everything.

I got an eletrically powered (via mains) Impact Driver with 1/2" drive and adjustable upto a maximum torque of 1,000Nm (yes) for £56 on flea-bay brand new from a supplier in the UK. There hasn't been a bolt it hasn't removed yet! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Here it is - oops it's actually 1,000W with 450Nm of torque. Still hasn't let me down! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-ELECTRIC-IMPACT-WRENCH-GUN-240V-NEW-/140891887859?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item20cdcf98f3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Don't you still need to use a normal wrench to tighten and loosen wheel nuts?

I use a torque wrench I got in Lidl years ago. It's very strong, loads of leverage and has yet to let me down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Snap on 1/2" cordless, expensive but! you get what you pay for. Bought one used about 4 years back and woundnt be without it.

Advertisement