Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Ronnie Play World Championships

Options
  • 05-01-2013 12:05pm
    Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭

I got two tickets for the 2013 World Semi-Final And 2 Tickets for the second session of the final when they went on sale in June.

But without Stephen Hendry and Ronnie I don't think I'd want to go.
    Will Ronnie play ?
    How could he be the defending Champion and watch it on the BBC?

I think that he will play.
    He has an exhibition match against Steve davis in Goffs this month or next so he must be playing a bit.

And he is 10/1 with Betfair

Will he play?

Will Ronnie O Sullivan play 2013 World Championship 11 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Did he not shoot a 147 yesterday? He must be in good form, so I'd be surprised if he was'nt there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Did he not shoot a 147 yesterday? He must be in good form, so I'd be surprised if he was'nt there.

I think that was a replay you were watching there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

is he playing in the masters, starting on sunday?
    even though he probably out of top 16 at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i wouldn't rule out ronnie playing in the WC, he wont be playing in the masters starting this weekend, he has afaik until the end or february or march should he change his mind and play in the WC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

i wouldn't rule out ronnie playing in the WC, he wont be playing in the masters starting this weekend, he has afaik until the end or february or march should he change his mind and play in the WC

Ronnie has until mid Feb to commit to playing in Sheffield. Although he's playing a lot of exhibitions and a few dates on the legends tour it's hard to see him playing at the worlds. I honestly hope I'm wrong even though the snooker so far this season has been great he has been missed and a world championship without the Rocket just doesn't seem right.

• Advertisement

zack01 wrote: »
    Ronnie has until mid Feb to commit to playing in Sheffield. Although he's playing a lot of exhibitions and a few dates on the legends tour it's hard to see him playing at the worlds. I honestly hope I'm wrong even though the snooker so far this season has been great he has been missed and a world championship without the Rocket just doesn't seem right.
    thanks zack, steve davis mentioned this on day one of the uk championships that ronnie has to make a decision by a certain date. like you i hope ronnie does play the wc as whoever wins it in ronnies absence will admit that they would rather ronnie had entered the wc.

i see ronnie is doing an exhibition in goffs with steve davis on Tuesday 5th Feb 2013, im looking forward to that

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭Addictedtogolf

If anyone wants 2 tickets for the Semi on the Sat night and two tickets for the Final on the Sunday night let me know as I will leave them go for the price I paid for them. The Semi and Final sold out in 10minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Is he playing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

look forward to that , i hope ronnie plays in this years wc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

Confirmed - He will play

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

elgriff wrote: »
    Confirmed - He will play

I had a few quid on him defending his title, wouldn't put a dime on him winnin it though!

Snooker players are a common breed, they NEED to play snooker! Their lives are almost empty without it, only a small handfull in the history of the game have retired while still competitive.

Great to see him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I look forward to seeing his after match interview if he gets knocked out 1st round :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

O'Sullivan said: "I just thought it was time to come back. I have a different perspective now.

"I am used to being written off. I know how good I am and that I can do this."
    O'Sullivan, widely regarded as the most talented player in the history of the sport, has played just once since winning his fourth world title last May - a drab loss to the unheralded Simon Bedford at a minor tournament in Gloucester.

With the entry deadline for this season's World Championship falling on Thursday, he has made his choice just in time and World Snooker have confirmed he will be in the line-up, beginning his campaign on the opening morning of the tournament.

There was speculation that O'Sullivan might call it a day for good, but the Chigwell-based cueman will instead start among the favourites as he targets a fifth Crucible crown.

"This is a massive challenge but I see this as the start of a bigger picture" - Ronnie O'Sullivan

The loss to Bedford was his only competitive outing since beating Ali Carter at Sheffield in May, and despite his November address saying he needed a break, he today admitted to being bored.

"Three or four months ago I was sitting thinking that I would rather be losing 10-0 in Sheffield to be back playing, rather than going for lunch, dinner and chilling out," he said.

"I got bored and had to get back to playing, winning or losing, and it shows how big a part of my life snooker is.

"I feel refreshed, I was never out of juice. I needed to take some time out, but not too much time, and I had it in the back of my mind that I would come back to playing snooker, but I needed to come back with a clear head."

O`Sullivan has been playing on the Snooker Legends tour with long-time friend Jimmy White, but that is as far as he has gone.

With that in mind, he knows how difficult it will be for him to get up to speed for his opening match, which will come on the first morning of the tournament.
    "I`ve played three or four exhibitions but I`ve played 10 days in nine months," he added.

"I`ve potted lots of balls, but I`m match rusty. I`ve not played matches in tense situations and it`s going to be a tough course with no practice.

"You can never replicate match situations anywhere else. This is a massive challenge but I see this as the start of a bigger picture."

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CobraKai

Got him at 7.5/1 on day of this announcement. I'm pretty sure a fresh and keen Ronnie can go all the way again. The standard in the Welsh Open recently was very low. Hopefully the draw favours Ronnie, as a couple of easy rounds would be great to get his match sharpness back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

The way the rankings are right now, Ronnie could meet Neil Robertson in the quater finals, that's of course if O'Sullivan gets through his first round match against a qualifier and that could be anyone outside the top 16.

I cant help feel his appearance is nothing but a glorified promotional gimmick, from what i've heard he's on a six figure sponsorship sum from the vodka company who's logo he will wear for the tournament. So win or lose The Rocket will come out smiling, all this aside it is fantastic to have him at Sheffield, and i'm really looking forward to it.

zack01 wrote: »
    The way the rankings are right now, Ronnie could meet Neil Robertson in the quater finals, that's of course if O'Sullivan gets through his first round match against a qualifier and that could be anyone outside the top 16.

I cant help feel his appearance is nothing but a glorified promotional gimmick, from what i've heard he's on a six figure sponsorship sum from the vodka company who's logo he will wear for the tournament. So win or lose The Rocket will come out smiling, all this aside it is fantastic to have him at Sheffield, and i'm really looking forward to it.

exactly, ronnies a lot to gain, and overall its great he's decided to defend his wc. it will make the wc even more interesting to see how competitive ronnie can be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mic99

apprently he is being paid appearance money so he will be playing alleged

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭Addictedtogolf

mic99 wrote: »
    apprently he is being paid appearance money so he will be playing alleged

It was announced he is playing over 3 weeks ago. your a bit late with this comment. And Ronnie is playing because he wants to defend his title.

People sometimes forget that from the age of 11 snooker was Ronnie's life. He loves snooker but hates the fact that he has to commit his life to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

It was announced he is playing over 3 weeks ago. your a bit late with this comment. And Ronnie is playing because he wants to defend his title.

People sometimes forget that from the age of 11 snooker was Ronnie's life. He loves snooker but hates the fact that he has to commit his life to it.

I agree with this.

Ronnie dosent need the fame or money, he said so many times before, hes a snooker player and all snooker players are the same...they wanna be out there competing at the highest level.

I seriously doubt hes just showin up for the money.

Advertisement