Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to New Zealand, Shipping Personal Effects to New Zealand from Ireland

• 05-01-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Guys, looking to move personal effects, clothing, TV, some electronic goods to NZ from Cork in the coming months 2013, the amount of stuff I have will not fill a container and debating whether to sell TV before I leave too? Is it cheaper to ship by air or sea? I've heard if I can't fill a container it might be best to ship by air - any idea of companies to talk to for quotes? Advice is very welcome!

Thanks!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Hey :)

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29685

Check out the 4th post in the link above. They used Crown International, seems like a good place. I didn't do much research though so there will be more out there i'd imagine.

Hope it helps anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Try www.parcelzone.net for the air shipping, or AMC Removals in Kildare for the sea option.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

by air is madness and will cost thousands. you can ship by the pallet by sea no need to fill a container, much simpler.

if putting it to see TV's won't survive unless very heavily packed. also don't put any food (chocolate, tea etc) in it, it develops a taste of ship fumes and is nasty.

everything needs to be documented and each boxes contents listed seperatly for Customs and MAF (bio security)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

My suggestion would be sell the TV and buy a new one here, they're not that expensive here and might save you some shipping costs.

We moved over in 2010 and brought two large suit cases (each) with clothes and pushed the limits of 'carry-on' luggage with all our electronic and camera gear in it. No furnishings or anything, had to buy all that here, but havent looked back since :)

rue, tv's are reasonably cheap here compared to most furniture / electronics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 RoncoRider

Im from cork and moving out in the next 4 weeks !!! I dont think ill be bringing much more than clothes in my suitcases but how about setting up a thread inviting people to share space on the container your thinking of getting then everyone is a winner :) Surely people would interested in so if they are heading over, I know I certainly would.

Its no cheaper to get a whole or part container tbh, i had 2 pallets of 26 you can fit in a 40ft box and it only cost about 350 and 10 weeks to ship to aukland, wgtn or chch are also landing ports and it'll cost a little to truck from there to where you are

• Registered Users Posts: 3 movingIrish

Its no cheaper to get a whole or part container tbh, i had 2 pallets of 26 you can fit in a 40ft box and it only cost about 350 and 10 weeks to ship to aukland, wgtn or chch are also landing ports and it'll cost a little to truck from there to where you are

Thanks for the advice Cookie_Monster, can you recommend a shipper to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 movingIrish

RoncoRider wrote: »
    Im from cork and moving out in the next 4 weeks !!! I dont think ill be bringing much more than clothes in my suitcases but how about setting up a thread inviting people to share space on the container your thinking of getting then everyone is a winner :) Surely people would interested in so if they are heading over, I know I certainly would.

Great idea, we are unsure of departure date but should be in next 4 months, we'd be very open to getting a container with others....

Thanks for the advice Cookie_Monster, can you recommend a shipper to use?

http://www.irishshipping.com/

these guys did it for me (bear in mind though my father worked for them at the time so it was an obvious choice - there are plenty of others out there.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

We are leaving in 2 weeks and I have spent the last few days packing our belongings into boxes. We are only taking clothes and a few bits and pieces and I had to order more boxes from the shipping company. We are using http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/ . They were the cheapest I could find and sounded more professional than some of the more expensive quotes I got.
    It is definitely cheaper to get a part load instead of a whole container. A 20ft container will cost about €5000, a part load will be charged on cubic feet used.
    I did up a spreadsheet and it worked out much the same price to buy everything new when we got there as it would be to ship it all down. You have to take into account that you will probably have to rent anything you need while your stuff is in transit when looking at prices.
    Crown are meant to be the most reputable company if that is what you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shampoo2223

hi all! we are planning to move to Wellington in 2-3 months time.. I dont know even where to start?! We are thinking of buying some boxes and just use Anpost for the shippimg.. Anyway we are just bringing clothes, toys, and small tid bits... A friend of ours did this when they moved to Australia and they said it was cheapper. But, I'm still thinking of probably using a professional mover.. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Koro

Hi There,

I've also heard An Post are a good way to go, cheap and good if you are just taking clothing.

Heard of a people using to ship from Canada back to Ireland . We are looking at just taking clothing, selling all electronics etc too, still haven't worked out what way we will go and leave in 2 months too for Auckland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marineeng

hi all,

We are also planning a move to Wellington in 2 - 3 months time. Any advise or suggestions taken onboard. We have moved around the world before but its our first time with 3 kids.

Buy anything you need in Ireland before leaving, pretty much everything is cheaper, especially furniture.

I dident find furniture too bad to be honest. Also take into account that you will have to rent what you need while waiting for your container to arrive. We are here 5 weeks now and our container is not arriving until the 28th april then may take 14 days to clear. It is only clothes and stuff so no great rush but I wouldent want to be paying rental on anything while waiting for it.
    There are good sales on all the time which is good in one way that you can get expensive goods cheaper if you can wait. On the other hand it shows just how much profit the robbing bast**ds are making the rest of the time.
    Buy all the cheap toiletries you can in Ireland and fill a box or two in your container with them. Buy the kids shoes for the next few years and pack them up. Fill your Tupperware whit stuff you are packing and bring it all, it costs a fortune out here, as does everything. Honestly its a fcuking rip off down here, I like it but I just cant understand the pricing of things. Granola bars are really cheap if you like them! Thats about it.
    Pack up all your useless sh1t you have lying around the house and ship it down, they will buy anything second hand here. I saw a pair of dirty old work boots for sale of a FB page and somebody bought them for $5.
    I could go on but I have to leave work.

I dident find furniture too bad to be honest.

We've found it hard to find decent quality good value stuff tbh. There some really nice bits but the cost a small fotune and cheaper stuff is terrible quality. The joy of owning lots of Ikea stuff I suppose in Ireland cheap and nice. They really need one here, even if you don't like it the competition they bring will have a big impact across the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 9seamie

for small amounts of stuff i was quoted today. €350 from Co Clare to Gisborne NZ door to door 60kgs by parcelzone.net not bad in 10 days.youd get alot of clothes n small items in to 60kg

9seamie wrote: »
    youd get alot of clothes n small items in to 60kg

You would be surprised how quick 60kg fill us I would say. 2 x 30kg tea chest size boxes.
    It all depends on what you are packing really, clothes will fill a box but not bring it to its max permitted weight whereas small things can leave you with extra room but at the max weight.
    We had to order more boxes after we had started packing and we still had to leave stuff behind.

A good tip for if you are packing clothes which I wish I had known before I packed my boxes is to roll them up instead of folding them. I repacked all my suitcases like this and almost doubled the amount I could put in them. The difference is amazing.

We've found it hard to find decent quality good value stuff tbh.

We hit the Farmers 50% off sale when we arrived and got some good deals, $1500 off a $3000 bed, 2 x 3 seater sofas for $1800, good quality aswell, both 50% off, a really big, solid kitchen table for $300(no chairs but picked them up 2nd hand for $50 each) and a good coffee table for $200. They knocked a good few dollars more off as were buying the whole lot together. We got all the kids beds 2nd hand and just bought mattresses. Picking up bits and pieces 2nd hand as we go now. It dosent seem to be as materialistic down here as at home, it dosent matter as much what it looks like its more what price you can get it for. Our town has a facebook buy and sell page and people sell all sorts of stuff on it, lots of crap but some good deals.

• Advertisement

We hit the Farmers 50% off sale when we arrived and got some good deals, $1500 off a $3000 bed, 2 x 3 seater sofas for $1800, good quality aswell, both 50% off, a really big, solid kitchen table for $300(no chairs but picked them up 2nd hand for $50 each) and a good coffee table for $200. They knocked a good few dollars more off as were buying the whole lot together. We got all the kids beds 2nd hand and just bought mattresses. Picking up bits and pieces 2nd hand as we go now. It dosent seem to be as materialistic down here as at home, it dosent matter as much what it looks like its more what price you can get it for. Our town has a facebook buy and sell page and people sell all sorts of stuff on it, lots of crap but some good deals.

in a way you've just proved my point. $1,500 for a bed alone is insane, never mind $3k. I got an Ikea queen with a really nice mattress for 700 Eur ($1100) or so at home.
    Best deal we've gotten here is a super king and two bed side lockers, a tallboy and a chest of drawers for $1,800 all in oak which is pretty good IMO but not super fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Cheap stuff in Ireland = OK quality
    Cheap stuff in New Zealand = Terrible quality.

But...

The second hand market is massive here compared to at home and people value older stuff a lot more. Second hand Javanese cars for example. Its that "She'll be right" mentality. Lots of stuff gets passed down through families too. I like it, makes for a much less materialistic society where its ok to have an old car and not so recently painted house.

The things I commonly regret not bringing more of from IReland are undies, socks, fleeces and Taytos. The rest of life's needs just buy when you get here. Its mad hearing people bring books or furniture but good quality clothes yes, pack em tight.

You've also got to remember NZ is a LONG way from anywhere else in the world so shipping and import costs for most goods is way higher then to the EU and what we're used to paying for in Ireland. Its easy truck goods across Europe but takes several days by ship to Oz or Singapore from down here. It drives the cost of everything up. The current government has also done nothing to stem the high cost of living increases and inflation has pushed prices up further.

Dairy too. Farmers are riding the arse off the economy with the price of dairy here.

But worth every cent for the summer we just had :)

pclancy wrote: »
    Dairy too. Farmers are riding the arse off the economy with the price of dairy here.
    No, Fontera & supermarkets are, not the farmers
    But worth every cent for the summer we just had :)
    Indeed, and hopefully will have again by the end of the week :)

Cheap stuff in Ireland = OK quality
    Cheap stuff in New Zealand = Terrible quality.

So true! We bought a cheap tin opener and both myself and my wife nearly dislocated our thumbs trying to open a tin of beans last week. Had to spend $17 on a decent one.
    You can buy cheap stuff here but it will be ****e and you will probably just have to replace it very soon.

Pity about the rain on Paddy's day after all the sun for the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lansing123

Hi, I am relocating back to NZ after 8 odd years here. Is anyone interested in sharing a container to ship belongings/goods to NZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

I'm moving away and I've been looking at shipping companies for quotes. Came across this one: www.moveit4me.ie

the rates were pretty good and pretty quick at getting back to me with quotes. Hope this helps anybody else moving over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 robanne

Folks,

I am needing some advice re move to NZ.
    1. Considering bringing out diesel car in a 20ft container.....are we mad? Is it true that diesels incur a penalty?
    2. We are leaving a house to let so will have to buy furniture so trip to ikea for beds etc which will go in the container too?
    3. Price for container is approx 3200 which doesnt seem to bad.
    4. in relation to tvs one of which is an expensive smart tv we want to bring, but will it work there?

Any advices greatly received/

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Koro

Yes Diesels incur a mileage penalty. It works out to cost the same as using petrol.
    There's no IKEA here and you'll find buying new furniture very expensive. Have a look at some furniture site's for here and you'll see what I mean. I'd fill your container with furniture and leave the car behind. Unless its a high end Merc , Audi etc its probably not worth bringing over as Jap imports while not cheap are readily available. Tv's are cheap here I got a 50" smart tv for $700 last year.

1. Waste of time having a diesel car here (IMO only). Requirement for diesel miles is a pain and negates cheaper fuel rates, rego is more expensive too, probably more expensive servicing too as less diesels means less availability of parts so more expensive to stock etc. Come over, buy a 3L+ petrol, pay F-all motor tax and smile everywhere you drive :) Max motor tax is only about 300eur

2. Worth it IMO, 95%+ of places here are let unfurnished so having everything will make it easier and far far cheaper in Irl than here. Possibly some issues around importation of timber and other biological items, should be fine as processed but check! All pallets have to be specially treated anyway.

3. Sounds pretty good to me. We've looked into a container rates for work recently (ok from Brazil) but were looking at 11k for that so seems reasonable in comparsion, we also ship a lot to UK and that rate is favourable as well.

4. Should do. Power is almost the same, plugs different obviously but everything we brought from Irl works no problem. Pack it extremely well if you are bringing it. We were warned about bringing glass /tv though as the temperature changes alone that a container experiences can be a problem for them, never mind rough seas and unloading.

Bear in mind the 12 week transit time and all the customs paperwork etc you'll have to deal with, including a fully detailed manifest of everything being packed and in what box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement