Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options available to me

Options
  • 05-01-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am currently after moving in to a new apartment in saggart Co.Dublin & the Apartments are not serviced by UPC for some reason, I was wondering who would be my best options for broadband in this area.

I would be nearly sure there would have to be a Eircom phone line for the apartments but not sure id really want to go with them. Just hoping there is other decent options available to me.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

When you say you don't want to go eircom, is it down to the product or the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

colm_mcm wrote: »
    When you say you don't want to go eircom, is it down to the product or the price?

Down to both really with UPC i can get 50mb broadband tv & phone for 69euro

Eircom is 50euro for 8mb plus phone. I have heard some bad stories about eircoms customer service etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

Have you considered a mobile broadband provider?

I have often been in places where I was not able to or allowed to get a wired service and occasionally putting one of the pay as you go mobile broadband usb dongles on the pc has worked. If signal is weak there is a trick whereby you can put the usb mobile broadband dingle into an empty pringles can.

It then acts as a kind of amplified ariel, whereby the pringles can provides directionality and screening which directs all the broadband signal in the direction it points.

If you are careful and point the end of the can in the right direction, you can get a very good signal and some very good speeds too. Its worked for me where I have had no wired broadband option.

A friend tells me he used a medium size saucepan to do this too. I found that you need to vary the position of the usb mobile broadband dongle in the pringles can to get the best signal and speed. some sellotape holds it in place one I log onto the broadband provider.

Don't know if this is an option for you or not but hope it helps if it is.

Advertisement