Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 network printer

Options
  • 04-01-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭

I am having difficulties getting a remote network printer set up on my new Windows 8 64 bit PC.

I have an old XP pc that I use as a print server, it has a Canon inkjet and a HP LJ1200 connected to it by USB. These printers are set up for sharing.

All other computers in the household use these printers successfully from various OS: XP, Vista, W7 and Mac OS.

I did the "add printers" thing on W8 and it found both printers. Canon installed no problem. However, it could not find a driver for the LJ1200.

I went to the HP website to look for a W8 driver. They recommended (and only offered) a universal print driver for W8 X64. I downloaded this and tried again.

This time it still didn't find the driver, but found the folder where the new drivers were installed to, looking for a .INF file. There were several of these but none would work.

I then tried connecting the printer directly to the W8 PC and it installed no problem and worked perfectly. I thought that now that the drivers were found it should work over the network.

However, when re-tried over the network, got exactly the same problems as before.

NB I tried both PCL and PS drivers.

I'm kind of out of ideas, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

Advertisement