Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Leopard writing to NTFS drive

Options
  • 04-01-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on an iMac and want to copy some files over to my Iomega media drive. I understand that OS X cannot write to NTFS drives.

However I have come across this http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/02/enable-write-for-ntfs-hard-drives-on.html and was wondering if anyone had used the NTFS-3G (Free) app and installed it.

has it worked ?

have you had any problems ?

It says :

NTFS-3G is a Mac app that enables reading & writing to NTFS drives on Mac OS X Snow Leopard for free. You need to install the Macfuse driver as well, for NTFS-3G to work. Once you've installed both NTFS-3G and Macfuse, you'll be able to write files to your Windows hard drives flawlessly.

So I just want to make sure it works as it says before I go installing it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Yep it works ok. In the early days I did experience some problems with file permissions but it seems to have improved.

Another app is Paragon NTFS, not free but behaves nicely.

Ken

I installed a plugin ages ago that worked great but I forget what it was called.

If you don't have any files over 4gig (I think it's 4gig) then just format the drive to Fat32 and it will work across all OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

NTFS-3G works, though I wouldn't trust it for mission-critical work.

Advertisement