Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The government overdrew on account

Options
  • 04-01-2013 7:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

€5 for government stamp duty, what the hell is that? Getting bank charges now, as if the bastards haven't screwed us enough:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Dey tuk ur jabs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Come again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

What? I signed up to an account years ago that said no bank charges ever. I still haven't been charged for anything other than the odd overdraft. Am I missing something? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Thinly veiled"there's more down the back of the sofa than in the bank" thread. Don't worry OP, the Govt will put your money to good use;) Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

€2.50 for ATM duty and €2.50 for credit/debit card duty I think.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/stamp_duty_on_financial_cards.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Have you been living under a rock OP or have you just opened your first bank account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

This isn't new is it? Has it changed?
    donvito99 wrote: »
    Dey tuk ur jabs

The sooner this is added to the infraction list the better.

Have you been living under a rock OP or have you just opened your first bank account?

I'm just back from living abroad, so the government charge €5 a month or something now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Come again!

Don't mind if I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'm just back from living abroad, so the government charge €5 a month or something now, is it?
    Once a year in Jan.

• Advertisement

Ah grand, obviously don't mind a fiver, just a bastard it overdrew my account and have to pay three times that now in charges :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Ah grand, obviously don't mind a fiver, just a bastard it overdrew my account and have to pay three times that now in charges :D

Switch to Ulster Bank so, no charges as of yet. Vote with your feet.

srsly78 wrote: »

I'm with them, this is a government charge. I don't mind it anyway, just the feckers overdrew my account so had a whinge:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...as if the bastards haven't screwed us enough :eek:

They can screw you even more now!
    Don't pay your household tax?
    They can now without a judges order, enter your home and start assessing it for value.

It been confirmed to the Irish media that the Irish taxman will have the power to take money out of the bank accounts of people who have not paid the new property tax. Whats worse - the tax officials will not have to get a court order before telling a bank to give Revenue money from the bank account of a non-compliant property taxpayer! This basically means Revenue can order a bank to hand over money from that person’s bank account.

This is in addition to new powers allowing Revenue officials to enter the homes of those who do not pay to assess the value of properties. The property tax legislation, which was approved by the houses of the Oireachtas last week, has amended the 1997 Tax Consolidation Act. Other new powers to be given to the Revenue Commissioners include those that allow tax officials to enter people’s homes to assess them for the property tax – but this might face a Constitutional challenge.

In part, its all seen by some as another scare tactic by the Irish government. Its the latest of one in many. Be they trying to scare the the public or as of lately, even scaring and bullying their cowardly coalition partners in government.

* http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revenue-home-checks-at-odds-with-constitution-3324952.html

* http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056831984

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ulster Bank needs to deduct taxes - it doesn't pay them for you.

Victor wrote: »
    Ulster Bank needs to deduct taxes - it doesn't pay them for you.

I assume the poster meant the charges that the OP had to pay because the account went overdrawn because of the stamp duty.

That said, I also assume UB has overdrawn charges even if it doesn't have basic transaction charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Wait a sec lads, If I live abroad, but have an Irish account, am I exempt from this or does this still affect us fleeing rats?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I didn't know they did this last year and they screwed up my car insurance payment by taking a fiver

This year AXA got in first so there wasn't enough left for the bank to take the fiver. That'll show Thatcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I'm on a crap phone Biggins and can't quote long posts so can't quote your post above but I read it.

Jesus, FF were bad and they did many dodgy things but they weren't so fcuked up as to do that. FG are scum and after reading what you wrote above - FG having no respect for people - they're scummier than FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I assume the poster meant the charges that the OP had to pay because the account went overdrawn because of the stamp duty.

That said, I also assume UB has overdrawn charges even if it doesn't have basic transaction charges.

I just meant the normal banking charges.

• Advertisement

I just meant the normal banking charges.

In that case what is the relevance of UB to the OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

In that case what is the relevance of UB to the OP?
    Their Servers are so crap they probably will take about 2 years to get around to deducting the charge? Not sure, tbh.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Jesus, FF were bad and they did many dodgy things but they weren't so fcuked up as to do that. FG are scum and after reading what you wrote above - FG having no respect for people - they're scummier than FF.

If I'm correct, these charges were brought in by the Stamp Duties Consolidation Act, 1999
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/act/pub/0031/print.html#sec123 - by a FF government.

Your post comes across as:
    FF - spend money they don't have - FF are great lads
    FG - keep things going as normal, try to balance the books - FG are scum

Advertisement