Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Not Genuine problem

Options
  • 04-01-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I've been getting this annoying notice every few hours over the past week or two saying 'This computer is not running Windows genuine'. (Windows 7)

It is a legit copy of Windows which I have been using without issue for over a year. I've searched for a solution online but most have suggested third party programs which I would rather not use unless necessary. I've tried going Computer > Properties > Change product key, but it doesn't allow me to click it.

It started appearing after an update around the 21st but as there are a few updates around that date I'm not sure which one it may be, if any.

Anyone know what may be causing it or have a solution?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you try do a windows update it will give you an option iirc to check it, then once it does the message will disappear. Haven't seen it in awhile so cant remember exact details

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Davy wrote: »
    If you try do a windows update it will give you an option iirc to check it, then once it does the message will disappear. Haven't seen it in awhile so cant remember exact details

Tried that, will see if the message appears again. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

presuming this is a real copy of windows 7 , call them up and shout at them. and disscuss how they are going to fix the problem.

they just want you to swipe your Card across your webcam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Have you changed/added/removed any hardware to your machine recently?

No, haven't changed any hardware. I had the PC built and sent from Hardwareversand last Dec/Nov and had a copy of Windows 7 64 bit sent with it. I installed Windows myself and haven't had any issues until now.

Just as I typed this, the notice came up again. Have the box, CD, sticker, product key etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

In IE go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/DownloadValidationSupport.aspx?displaylang=en

Run the validation tool and see what happens

mp22 wrote: »

That link won't for me in IE, in Chrome it takes me to a buy Windows page.

I tried to find it on IE and attempted to download the validation tool but it said 'This update has already been installed' or similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 13 efourc

Try changing the ram. Seen it before that a stick of faulty ram could get windows to loose it been legit. Phone them otherwise.

I did all that over a year ago when I installed it.

I'll try ringing up Microsoft tomorrow to see if they know what's wrong. Hopefully it's just something small.

• Advertisement

I had this problem on a machine in work running a legit copy of Windows 7 Enterprise. It seemed to happen after the most recent WAT update. When I attempted to manually validate, it gave an error that the validation service was unavailable and to try again later, or buy genuine Windows.

I checked C:\Windows\system32\wat and the two executables in there (WatAdminSvc.exe and WatUx.exe) had incorrect NTFS permissions - Everyone was denied the "traverse folder / execute" permission. I removed this restriction, rebooted, and the validation passed.

I don't know if someone was tampering with it or not, but that sorted it for me anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

just go use windows loader it is safe

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ibiliss

cud try the RemoveWAT tool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

please remember folks not to suggest anything illegal here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

MiCr0 wrote: »
    please remember folks not to suggest anything illegal here

Using third party software in this instance is in no way illegal
    In fact microsoft once used code from one of these products to pach an issue in xp sp2

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    Using third party software in this instance is in no way illegal when instructed to do so by Microsoft Support
    In fact microsoft once used code from one of these products to pach an issue in xp sp2

Fixed your post there.

Using 3rd party software to remove activation/licence-related software can and usually will be considered to be violation of licence terms and is likely against local computer misuse laws. If instructed to do so as part of resolving an outstanding issue by an approved support team working under instruction from the software vendor, it is permissible - but the generalised case is not.

Downloaded some updates yesterday and the notice seems to have stopped.

Karsini wrote: »
    I had this problem on a machine in work running a legit copy of Windows 7 Enterprise. It seemed to happen after the most recent WAT update. When I attempted to manually validate, it gave an error that the validation service was unavailable and to try again later, or buy genuine Windows.

I checked C:\Windows\system32\wat and the two executables in there (WatAdminSvc.exe and WatUx.exe) had incorrect NTFS permissions - Everyone was denied the "traverse folder / execute" permission. I removed this restriction, rebooted, and the validation passed.

I don't know if someone was tampering with it or not, but that sorted it for me anyway.

Did that just before I got a prompt for the update so it may have been the same problem you had.

Hopefully it won't reappear. Thanks for the help everyone :)

Advertisement