Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Tools buffer issue

Options
  • 04-01-2013 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi Lads. Just wondering has anyone ever had this issue.

"The operating system held off interrupts for too long"

It asks to increase or decrease the buffer size but when ya do it contradicts itself and asks ya to do the opposite. Ive done some research on this on many forums and theres never seemed to be a solid resolution. From what I gather its something to do with firewire. Ive been using a Digi 002 for about 8 years now and have always had this problem. Its never been a major one and is easy to work around but now I wanna get to the root of the problem. I have Pro Tools setup on my boot drive (7200rpm) my sessions are on a separate drive also 7200rpm which is advised. I try running a session on both drives and the problem persists. From what Ive read the problem never happens on USB connected machines ie MBOX etc... but these run a lot slower than firewire (Digi 002). The last thing I have to try is getting a good PCI-E firewire card but that wont be till next month. The card I have at the moment is a Startech 2 Port PCI Express FireWire Card. The card Ive researched to get is a DP FireWire 2-Port PCIe. Apparently the chipset is much better. Ill try this and report back but as I said I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and if so how did they fix it. The cpu I'm running is an i5 3570k overclocked at 4.60GHz.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

its called the protools shuffle :D

the only known cure is to move to reaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Jayball09

Really is that it?

No way around it? No one else?

Dont like the look of reaper. Been using Pro Tools for over 10 years and Im set in my ways... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

reaper is excellent .

but it looks to me like you have an IRQ conflict between your firewire card/ chips and something else ( maybe a firewire drive ? ) or possibly a grpahics card.

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/change-irq-settings.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Jayball09

Thanks mate. I will look into that later and report back.

Advertisement