Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another hotel gone :(

Options
  • 04-01-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Have it on very good authority from someone at the meeting at 3pm., the Woodstock is closed with immediate effect.
    Sad to see

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Very sad to see indeed. I had actually been eyeing up joining the gym there when my membership in Ozone is up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yeah, just heard it on the news :(

60 jobs reported lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Yeah, just heard it on the news :(

60 jobs reported lost.
    Awful :-(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Link to news story on Clare FM's site here

Sorry to here this, lovely spot for a bite to eat or a quiet drink, I think it's important to point out though that the hotel is a different business to the golf club.

Just realised I have booked Woodstock for a family meal for my daughters communion in April.
    Double feck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wow, well done in being so organised, if your looking for somewhere out of town with room for kids to run around Magowna House Hotel is very close by, I've been there before and thought it was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Really sad news :(, it's a very tough start to the new year for the hotel's 60 staff.

Clareman wrote: »
    Wow, well done in being so organised, if your looking for somewhere out of town with room for kids to run around Magowna House Hotel is very close by, I've been there before and thought it was lovely
    Thanks Clareman.Will check it out.

babygirlz wrote: »
    Just realised I have booked Woodstock for a family meal for my daughters communion in April.
    Double feck!
    Spare a thought for people who had their weddings booked there :(

Imagine that the hassle of looking for a new hotel at short notice, that really would be an awful nightmare and weddings are stressful enough at the best of times.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Spare a thought for people who had their weddings booked there :(

Imagine that the hassle of looking for a new hotel at short notice, that really would be an awful nightmare and weddings are stressful enough at the best of times.

Don't worry I am not a total bi**h but surely I am allowed to dispair that I have to organise a venue myself.

Sur communions are practically like
    weddings these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

God this is awful news! The staff there were so helpful and what a beautiful hotel.

On another point May kearneys recently opened too and took on a lot of staff and then just before xmas it closed! Very strange

babygirlz wrote: »
    Don't worry I am not a total bi**h but surely I am allowed to dispair that I have to organise a venue myself.

Sur communions are practically like
    weddings these days.
    Sorry babygirlz :(, I'm not taking from your situation at all, but it just got me thinking about the other people who will be adversely affected by the closure.

I wish you the best of luck finding a new venue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Stayed there a couple of times and really enjoyed it. great base for touring Ennis and West Clare. I really liked the Indian option in the bar.

Feel sorry for the staff, they were always v helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

tagoona wrote: »
    Have it on very good authority from someone at the meeting at 3pm., the Woodstock is closed with immediate effect.
    Sad to see

Omg just logged on. Shocked to hear this!! as i know people who worked there

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Can't understand why it closed down? Anytime I have been up there the bar and restaurant have been fairly busy alongside all the functions they have on up there.

Shame to see it go, maybe someone else might open its doors sometime in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Is the golf club still open there?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

finbarrk wrote: »
    Is the golf club still open there?
    Clareman wrote: »
    Link to news story on Clare FM's site here

Sorry to here this, lovely spot for a bite to eat or a quiet drink, I think it's important to point out though that the hotel is a different business to the golf club.

From above I believe so

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

Battleflag wrote: »
    Can't understand why it closed down? Anytime I have been up there the bar and restaurant have been fairly busy alongside all the functions they have on up there.

Shame to see it go, maybe someone else might open its doors sometime in the future?

It's extremely difficult for 4 & 5 star hotels to compete with similar hotels in Nama. If you look at the rates there is usually a 100% price differential. The playing pitch needs to be levelled or we will loose many more hotels and the jobs they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

Kilnababe wrote: »
    It's extremely difficult for 4 & 5 star hotels to compete with similar hotels in Nama. If you look at the rates there is usually a 100% price differential. The playing pitch needs to be levelled or we will loose many more hotels and the jobs they provide.

point taken but employees in nama operated hotels probably dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It's just a symptom of the fact there are way too many hotel rooms in Clare. There was some table of vacancy rates in the newspaper last year and I think we were pretty much at the top of the list by county.

• Advertisement
Advertisement