Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Kenny can't afford to retire

Options
  • 04-01-2013 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

I guess he'll be on the Radio for another few decade or so: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/pat-kenny-says-he-cant-afford-to-retire-as-he-reveals-his-regrets-over-turning-down-uk-work-3341636.html

Any thoughts on this? It seems to imply there's work for him in RTE for as long as he feels like working.

Considering the money he's been on for his long career, (peak €950k per annum) if he's pleading poverty, that's some serious financial mismanagement?

"It's been a bloodbath and there are no guaranteed pensions when you are a freelancer. You do try to invest in things but virtually everything has been destroyed to some extent, the only things that remain intact are pensions backed by the State."
    There's plenty of other people in Ireland working freelance who'll never earn that much, but who aren't in cosy semi-state employment!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Perhaps he has some land that he could sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Perhaps he has some land that he could sell?

Someone else's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭GSF

donaghs wrote: »
    It seems to imply there's work for him in RTE for as long as he feels like working.

Given how Gay Byrne is still gettting work from them at nearly 80 thats a pretty safe assumption.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

In fairness (and I reckon Kenny would agree with me here), there are many people who find themselves in his position.

His salary may be out of the reach of many, but that stops coming in when work stops. He was candidly honest in telling on how the investments he made for his and his family's future went tits up.

Again he's not alone there.

I'm glad he didn't go abroad. He is the best broadcaster this country has had for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

GSF wrote: »

Given how Gay Byrne is still gettting work from them at nearly 80 thats a pretty safe assumption.

And the amount of times recent retiree charlie bird has poped up since his retirement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Kenny retired we'd all be ****ed in the mornings! May he still be going at 100 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

neris wrote: »
    And the amount of times recent retiree charlie bird has poped up since his retirement

not to mention Micheal O`Muircheartaigh..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

mike65 wrote: »
    If Kenny retired we'd all be ****ed in the mornings! May he still be going at 100 :p

The John Murray Show 9am-12pm :eek::eek:

I like Pat but I find it very hard to understand how he could possibly not be comfortably off at this stage on the money he's on... And some of his land he owns he didnt even have to pay for himself.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

mike65 wrote: »

That reminded me of this one, Mike.....

:D

Advertisement