Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Friday Feeling...

Options
  • 04-01-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

As I mentioned in another thread I have cut down my drinking a lot in the past six months and made the decision last week to cut it out all together for various reasons. The one time of the week I find hard is Friday evening, just chilling out at the end of a working week. If alcohol didn't have such a depressing affect on me the next day that would be all well and good. I keep myself really busy during the week but I need to learn to replace the friday evening drinks....
    Just want to say already finding this forum very helpful. I really want to do this. Maybe reading the threads should be my new friday night hobby!

Comments

Good luck with staying off the sauce Orchidgirl I am in the same boat. I enjoy going out but not worth the pain the following day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Martsarts

Same here. Off it for good myself, already getting the pangs for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I'm currently self medicating myself with alcohol because the Doctors are incompetent, but maybe one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Athena86

I know how you feel about the Friday thing, I was only thinking it myself tonight that Id love to go to the pub but then I started remembering the times I used to go to the pubs of a Friday and that would lead to me 'sessioning' for the whole weekend...then the dreaded 3 day hangover and depression kicked in. DISTRACTION is the key for me now and the whole 'day by day' mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Orchidgirl

After thinking about IT for a while earlier booked myself a fitness class in the morning and the rest of the evening has passed ok I have to say. I guess these first few weeks will be the hardest. Definitely was a weekend drinker but I don't even want that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Athena86

Yes they are indeed but you will reap the benefits eventually. Ive turned to exercise too and plan on doing the Dub Marathon this year. I mean we were poisoning ourselves with the drink too. I might even turn to Yoga and give that a try. Best of luck with your class.

Thanks for the support Athena, I would love to be able for a marathon. Running is a big reason why I had already cut down. Can't wait to start feeling the benefits and be able to push myself even further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Martsarts

Yea I'm kboxiing in the morning, something I've always wanted to do so that's keepin me off the drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

the mountain running winter league is about to start, with Howth Hill on Jan 20th.

http://www.imra.ie/leagues/view/id/13/year/2013/

thats if y'all would be into trail/mountain running.

Its actually more fun than it sounds, well, it has the perfect torture:fun ratio at least :)

anhedonia wrote: »
    the mountain running winter league is about to start, with Howth Hill on Jan 20th.

Might just take you up on that. Have running experience but not mountain running. Would this be an ok day to give it a go?

• Advertisement

Orchidgirl wrote: »
    anhedonia wrote: »

Might just take you up on that. Have running experience but not mountain running. Would this be an ok day to give it a go?

First Friday night down and instead of waking up feeling groggy and depressed I am feeling fantastic after my class. Have the whole weekend planned too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Orchidgirl wrote: »

Yes this race is fairly short and not too difficult relative to other races.

My first race was at the beginning of the summer and I had no previous running experience at all :)

Since the summer league ended Ive been running on the roads and find it boring in comparison. With trails/mountains there is fantastic scenery and a greater sense of accomplishment. Not gonna lie to you though, running uphill is torture, but then running downhill is loads of fun!

I say go for it, nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

OP, I know what you mean about the 'Friday feeling'. I start getting it on a Thursday tbh :)
    I find with me though it's not that I really really want a beer, it's that i want some kind of release after a long week of work. I want to talk to different people from the ones I see all week and I want to see a bit of life and going to the pub really does satisfy that need.
    A few weeks back i met up with some lads from my rugby club on a Friday evening, we went to the gym and did a load of weights, then went into the McDonalds next door for coffee and I enjoyed the shít out of it, totally satisfied the need to go somewhere, do something and see people and felt great the next day. I'd take that over going to the pub most of the time.
    Maybe you could try organising to do things like that?
    Best if luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Have you tried meetup.com a group called a sober slice of Dublin, there's always stuff organised and going on. There's 1,500 members it can be good for mixing with people outside pub. I've got a good use out of it and met some new friends.

http://www.meetup.com/SoberSliceDublin/
    Mods delete link if not allowed.

Well was having the Friday night craving from yesterday afternoon but found myself a great fitness class to go to on Friday evenings and meeting people for a run in the morning. 2 weeks in and really happy with my decision. Note to self - keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭LordSinclair

Just wondering is there a 24 hour gym anywhere in Dublin? I get that Friday feeling a lot, sometimes as another poster said, I get it on a Thursday, trying to find a distraction is the key I think... The feeling passes very quickly once you find something to go at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

unfortunately no, very little is 24 hours in Ireland except maybe Topaz.
    But the offos close at 10.

Advertisement