Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovery weeks?

Options
  • 04-01-2013 2:26pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

This year for the first time, I'm trying to create my own HIM training plan, rather than relying on a generic one. I'm looking at different options for putting one together, checking out existing plans and templates. This is really going to be a stab in the dark to see what works and what doesn't, I don't yet know which works best for me, I just know I need the structure of a plan.

One of the major differences in plans I've looked at seems to be the use of breakthrough sessions with very low load recovery weeks (friel), and gradual progression with only slight drops into recovery weeks (lieto, fink)

Last year on Finks IM plan, recovery weeks were so close in hours to a 'normal' week, they were hardly noticeable, only an hour or so in the difference, but with Fink's template in the training bible, the recovery weeks are almost half the workload of a 'normal' week.

Now last year I loved the plan, and it seemed to work well, but I could not maintain the momentum past my A race, and the rest of my year was a wreck. So I need to consider that this year.

Hoping for info on the pros and cons of big drop recovery weeks, or suggestions of where else I can research, and what I should consider to decide which approach to take.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I have no experience in HIM training, and what I'm about to write isn't exactly what you asked....but (here I go anyway...;)) I have noticed for me personally with marathon training that I wish I could have a "goof-off" week at one third intervals in my 18 to 24 week training plans (which would then make them 20 to 26 week training plans). I think for me it's more about getting to do whatever I want the way I want to do it than anything else....and I am disciplined enough to know that I would still work hard during those 2 "fun" weeks, but it would be a nice little break/vacation for me without (hopefully) losing any fitness while training outside of the box. We all know that what works for one person training-wise may not work for another, but I think for me personally if I were writing my own plan I would consider having my normal step-back weeks be not too severe, but I would include a fun, unscripted week every 6 to 8 weeks. Just my 2 cents. Again, we're all different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Oryx wrote: »
    Last year on Finks IM plan, recovery weeks were so close in hours to a 'normal' week, they were hardly noticeable, only an hour or so in the difference, but with Fink's template in the training bible, the recovery weeks are almost half the workload of a 'normal' week.

Now last year I loved the plan, and it seemed to work well, but I could not maintain the momentum past my A race, and the rest of my year was a wreck. So I need to consider that this year.

Finks plan was for a full Ironman though - so recovery week or not there was still a shedload of training on that week. You will only be looking at 3 hours on your biggest cycles for a 1/2 which is well doable compared to what you have gotten used to.

They say a well thought out Olympic plan will suit a 1/2 Ironman schedule, good hard workouts during the week gradually building to 2 hour runs and 3 hour cycles at the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Options

Reduce a week volume by 50-75%
    Maintain volume but cut intensity by 50-75%
    A full rest day or two on a normal week
    2 very easy cross train days in a normal week
    Scale back biggest session and most intense session
    Exchange 2 runs for 2 easy swims
    Drop 1-2 sessions and lie in
    Schedule a race and mini taper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi There,

I agree a training plan is the only way to go,
    Buy if you make up one or follow someone elses the thing i would say to anyone is not to have it set in stone,
    I favor the 3 week to one easy myself, but that is not to say that if i feel i need to take it easy on the third week, then i will, there are other times when i would feel i dont need a easy week at all,
    When you trained for IMAT, Im sure if you talked to Fink, on some of your weeks he would have told you to ease back a bit and might have added to other weeks.
    You have to listen to the body.
    Sure make out your plan, but allow yourself to be a bit flexable at times,
    Every coach will have there different methods but all good coaches would adjust to there athletes needs as the are going along, be that a step down week or sometimes picking things up, depending on how they are going, and what feedback they are getting,
    As you will be getting feedback from yourself, make sure you are Honest with yourself,
    And dont forget to enjoy yourself, Coach;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Oryx wrote: »
    One of the major differences in plans I've looked at seems to be the use of breakthrough sessions with very low load recovery weeks (friel), and gradual progression with only slight drops into recovery weeks (lieto, fink)

Hoping for info on the pros and cons of big drop recovery weeks, or suggestions of where else I can research, and what I should consider to decide which approach to take.

Cheers.

I'll throw a few words into the hat for whatever it may be worth.
    Not very knowledgeable in this area but here's what I've picked up/learned.

Firstly, I'd think as you say you need to consider your season last year and why you could not maintain momentum past A race.
    Many variables here I'd imagine such as:
    - motivation/goals
    - training volume put in leading up to A race
    - Result of A race - happy/not happy?
    - Consistency in training to carry on past A race
    - plan duration up to A race/work done?
    - possible need for a break after A race due to xx weeks of work in lead up plan and more recovery needed to avoid "over-training" and to enable kick start to next phase of season?
    - were your recovery weeks still maintaining too much intensity despite the drop in volume?

Last year, my recovery weeks were typically 40% less in intensity and perhaps 25-30% less in volume.

I started training pretty much straight after the Dublin Marathon in Oct - but had had 3 weeks off in September (enforced cut foot injury).

So my coach managed to keep me in good shape right up to Sept/Oct this year so around a 12/13 month training cycle before I took my next break.

"A" races would have been in June, Aug and Sept.
    Aug and Sept prob saw my best race performances.

What I found interesting was the recovery weeks after races, even if only sprints where I'm saying sure it was only a sprint. Still needed sufficient recovery which no doubt contributed to longevity in training cycle.

On a personal level, I've found now that I prefer the recovery weeks that drop volume by a max of 25%, but drop intensity by around the 40% mark.
    During race season it could be more of a volume drop depending on cycle in plan.

I'd see the recovery weeks that drop volume by 50% as just too much lost in a sense, or if maintaining intensity then not really providing enough recovery/consistency.

Other considerations:

- Add another A goal to take you past your initial A goal
    - consistency and aims of improving to end of season

My 2013 will be relatively similar for me with 3 "A" races - 2 early in May/June and a later one in Sept.
    I'm hopeful this should keep motivation and momentum throughout the season as well as goals of consistently improving the whole way.

That's my 2 cents, hope it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I would agree with all Fazz has to say, but just to add that's probably the difference between, A TRAINING PROGRAM AND BEEN COACHED.
    A program, be it from any of the coaches mentioned is designed to get you to a race what ever the target or what ever the length. Where as a Program designed for you by a coach will probably take into account the bigger picture, ie what comes after your target race.

Also came across today
    http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/coaching-training-recovery-getting-the-balance-right-at-this-crucial-time-of-year/.

Might be of some help

Advertisement