Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio stations transmitting from Cairn Hill

Options
  • 04-01-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I noticed on my travels over Christmas visiting the in-laws that the only national radio station transmitting from Cairn Hill (Longford) is RTÉ R1. Does anyone know why this is the case and why 2FM, Lyric, RnaG and TodayFM are not likewise available? Reception of these stations in various parts of Longford, Roscommon, Leitrim and Cavan is very poor - do people living here just put up with it, or are the local stations more popular? I'm used to perfect reception from both Kippure and Three Rock and I certainly would not be happy having to tolerate a third rate signal.[/FONT]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I noticed on my travels over Christmas visiting the in-laws that the only national radio station transmitting from Cairn Hill (Longford) is RTÉ R1. Does anyone know why this is the case and why 2FM, Lyric, RnaG and TodayFM are not likewise available? Reception of these stations in various parts of Longford, Roscommon, Leitrim and Cavan is very poor - do people living here just put up with it, or are the local stations more popular? I'm used to perfect reception from both Kippure and Three Rock and I certainly would not be happy having to tolerate a third rate signal.[/FONT]
    RTE introduced RTE R1 to Cairn Hill in 2005 and said that the other 3 services would soon follow. Previously the only other transmitter of RTE Radio was the 50W one in Athlone, which similarly only carries R1 and 2FM. I don't see why they haven't added other services yet, people in the area have to put up with reception from Maghera, Kippure and Truskmore. From experience, good indoor reception of Maghera starts to fade around Birr.

A similar situation has unfolded in the south midlands. Reception of RTE Radio in parts of Tipperary is poor, and RTE recently added a new FM transmitter at Kilduff (sometime in 2011). Since then it has only transmitted Radio 1 on 90.2, and there has been no sign of any more services. Also, it was given a ludicrous allocation to begin with. Possible RTE 2FM on 92.4 is ok, but RTE RnaG can't use 94.6 because 94.7 is in use already by Spin South West. According to Comreg, RnaG has been allocated to 99.8 from the site as a result, so no room for Lyric FM. Also Today FM can't use 102.0 because it's in use by Beat 102 103 at Mt Leinster.

Instead of wasting their time duplciating services on DAB in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick, they should concentrate on areas where no RTE stations can be received. There are plenty of places around the county where RTE Radio reception is pure rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

marno21 wrote: »

Instead of wasting their time duplciating services on DAB in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick, they should concentrate on areas where no RTE stations can be received. There are plenty of places around the county where RTE Radio reception is pure rubbish.

I certainly agree with you on that, all licence fee payers throughout the country should be treated equally and given the same access to all RTÉ stations.

Advertisement