Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 week hospital appointment

Options
  • 04-01-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi, would be great if anyone could give their opinions on this as had appt this morning and left feeling upset and p*ssed off.

I'm between 39.5 and 40.5 weeks today, depending on which date is used so I was switched back to consultant clinic this week from midwives which I attended all along. Wasn't consultant I saw but a junior doctor, this seems to be norm tho so fair enough. I had thought the reason for change back to consultant from midwives was that they'd be checking more now, maybe mini scan (only had one scan in total at 20 weeks) or physical exam or something. I went in, he asked how i was, i said very uncomfortable now and very little sleep with pains etc, he didnt even listen just said its to be expected now and wrote in notes that all is well. Didnt ask about what kind of pains, didnt ask if had any swelling, didnt measure bump (midwives did at every visit) didnt do scan didnt say if baby had dropped or not and didnt say if seemed big or small etc. Tbh i left and was too surprised to say anything at time but when i asked about induction he said maybe we'll discuss it next week so now afraid it will be him im dealing with from now on.

Any of you who have had kid previously or had 39 week appt is this normal? Maybe i expected too much but I thought they would ask more or maybe check if anything was happening.. So disappointed now but this was less detailed than usual appointment and yet by original dates im overdue now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

I went with the midwifes in UCHG. When I did see the consultant (I couldn't even say if he was a doctor or 'the consultant' to be honest) it was a lot quicker, a lot less detailed and I really felt like just another woman on the baby conveyor belt.

I honestly felt like it was a case of if you go into labour, grand, if not come in next week and we'll induce. No discussion, no questions, I hate to say it but no interest.

I'm pregnant again and am determined not to be fobbed off this time (for want of a better way of putting it). If they don't ask the things you think they should, tell them. Ask lots of questions, request scans etc. I don't know if they will oblige but you can certainly ask.

P.S hope you go soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

I was in mayo general.

Was due on the Sunday. No sign. Had an appt on the tues. Normal midwife clinic. Said to make an appt for the following tues. Was seen by a doc. Gave me a sweep. Said I expect you will be back into me tonight, but ill book an induction just in case. I was induced on the Fri morning she was born on the Sat morning exactly 14 days overdue.

I must say I was quite happy with my care the whole way thru. Just one scan at 12 weeks. Doppler at each midwife and gp visit.

Maybe you just got a not nice one. The doc who gave me the sweep even came to see us after she was born and congratulated HIMSELF on giving her a jump start

:)

Can you request a diff doc?

I do remember asking my gp on my 39 week visit how long with they let me go before they intervene... His reply was.. a watched pot never boils.. I guess its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I'm guessing it was a male doctor??? I know it's upsetting but basically (as they view it and it is the case) there's nothing wrong. You're coming up to your due date but nothing has happened. They're waiting for you to go into labour naturally and the length of time they spend with you at the appointment is going to influence that!! induction is always a last option as there's a much higher chance of a section or assistance been required.

Basically you have to look at it like this - they only spend time with you if there was a problem. You seem to be doing absolutely fine and as someone who went to 42 weeks pregnant on both of my pregnancies (and probably will on this one too!!) I know how frustrating it is. This is absolutely the worst part of the pregnancy - totally on the waiting game and you just want the baby out and the doctor doesn't seem to give a monkies (trust me, I felt the same - marched into the hospital at 41 weeks last time saying I was NOT leaving without my baby - walked out an hour later with my tail between my legs!!) - at your next appointment you could ask for a sweep to get things moving (didn't work for me though) but I know in holles st you've to be ten days over before they'll sweep you.

Anyway, good luck with it all - stay busy - a cliché piece of advice because it's true..... have 2/3 activities planned for every day - otherwise every second will feel like an hour. (and the busier you are, the more likely you'll get things moving!!)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

My 39 week appointment was actually at 39+6. I was brought I and induced that day but that was down to other complications. If that hadn't of happened I would have been seen at 40+6 and then at 40+10 for an induction.
    I remember timing my 36 week appointment and it was 4 minutes all in all, with one of the supposed top consultants in the Rotunda, he never asked how I was at all. Sometimes if there are no complications the appointments are over quick as a flash. I saw a huge difference in urgence when my complications arose, at least on one hand you know everything is going normally.
    Rest as much as you can at the moment, I know everyone says that but I wish I listened to people and rested. I know its hard to relax, but plan to meet people for luch etc in the next few days.
    It was such a whirlwind when I was brought in, I had no control and it was quite scary to feel so out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wow, that brought back memories. Yes, that is exactly what happened with me. I said I was feeling awful, they said, oh well that's normal. Off you go, see you next week. I had another two of those... went into labour eventually at 14 days over, totally exhausted from the lack of sleep.

I got some sleep on the epidural though before pushing time, which actually totally revived me! It was brilliant!

If you can afford it, take some time to get a good haircut, a facial, eyebrows, legs waxed, anything to feel a bit more put together (not nails though, nails need to be bare for hospital). It sounds ridiculous, but I look like a zombie in the photos the hubbie took of me with new baby after that super-tired stint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

Thanls everyone for replies, I think maybe I just had unrealistic expectations and that they would check if the pains I had been having had started anything off. Plus the midwives were definitely more thorough, but that seems to be the case in general, a more sympathetic approach I suppose.

I'm somewhere between 40 and 41 weeks today and still no signs but trying to keep busy, including at night as I'm just getting frustrated lying there awake.

Hopefully this Friday will be better than last and will have list questions ready alright so I dont get flustered this time and forget.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

SaucySue wrote: »
    Thanls everyone for replies, I think maybe I just had unrealistic expectations and that they would check if the pains I had been having had started anything off. Plus the midwives were definitely more thorough, but that seems to be the case in general, a more sympathetic approach I suppose.

I'm somewhere between 40 and 41 weeks today and still no signs but trying to keep busy, including at night as I'm just getting frustrated lying there awake.

Hopefully this Friday will be better than last and will have list questions ready alright so I dont get flustered this time and forget.

Thanks again!

I went 42 weeks exactly. I feel your pain!!! I wish to god I had relaxed more. Slept more. Watched more movies... Cuz now I don't even have time to drink a full cup of tea :)

It will happen.. at least you no that for sure.. you can't b pregnant for ever
    Hugzzz x

Advertisement