Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheepmoor, Blanch, Dublin 15

Options
  • 04-01-2013 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I grew up on Sheepmoor Grove and had a buzz of childhood, real community spirit in Blanch at the time. Felt Safe, knew everyone, never got caught up in anything mad. had games of manhunt in the forest where blanch centre is now, street parties, the days seemed long and sunny back then... with neighbours cutting grass and planting flowers on the street.... just alot of joyriding at night though.

Moved out about 5 yrs ago, went back recently for a look at the old gaff and the place is now a KIP!!!, full of rubbish, dull and dirty looking place, not the same place i grew up in. Would have loved to move back... Anyone tell me what it's like to live there now?
    Post edited by Gaspode on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

you might have more luck with responses in the Dublin 15 forum rather than North County Dublin (I know its Fingal, but Fingal spans both Dub city and county).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

k thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Dublin County North.

tHB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Describing the place as a kip is not going to enamour you to the locals here!

I suggest you try the search functionality to find threads that mention Sheepmoor and have a read.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The place where you grew up as a child always seems nicer in your childhood days than when you revisit it as an adult. Summers seem like they were sunnier and warmer and things seem more distinct and exciting then.

Most people find that revisiting the places they grew up in leads to a bit of a let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

I grew up on Sheepmoor Grove too, I don't think it's any better or worse now really, just alot less kids on the roads !

The manhunt sessions over in the forrest used to be savage ! days lost .

yeah, the kick the can and street parties are long gone i'd imagine!!

yeah dragging the kitchen table and chairs out to middle of road, def don't see that anymore

the phonebox down the end of the road, the icy patch every winter at the gap, the real hot summer nights that you spent sitting on the wall outside your gaff in peace with your mates

I had a ball anyway, all that harmless messing!! have you any good memories or stories about the place? I do have a good yap about growing up there with my brothers, the stories do be so funny and was glad to be a part of it

The ice patch down by the gap was great craic in the winter.

Rounders most days during the summer, manhunts around the estate. Don't think kids play manhunt anymore, feeling old now :(

• Advertisement

yeah :) me too, I reckon I was one of the last generations to have that in sheepmoor though... money couldn't buy it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Blanch head

Was that you making all that bleedin noise on the Grove? Us heads in the Gardens couldn't hear our 40" Plasma screens because of all the racket!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Sadderday wrote: »
    Moved out about 5 yrs ago, went back recently for a look at the old gaff and the place is now a KIP!!!, full of rubbish, dull and dirty looking place, not the same place i grew up in. Would have loved to move back... Anyone tell me what it's like to live there now?

I grew up in Fortlawn and tbh.. I think the opposite.. place used to be filthy!! I remember going collecting cans for money in the summer times with my cousin and we'd fill a black bag with empty cans in no time.. Now you wouldn't see that much rubbish on the grounds at all..

Do you remember 'The Muckers' ??

I remember bumping into an ex Garda from Blanch in NZ at an Ireland match, he asked me where I was from, when I mentioned I was from Sheepmoor he laughed, apparantly Sheepmoor was the place the baby coppers grew up, I thought it all went in in Fortlawn but Sheepmoor was where it was all at!

Well that killed the conversation.
    Maybe we weren't that popular in the Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Sheepmoor was a war zone in the 90s. I lived on the Close and remember the sound of joyriding every night and the sight of burned out cars in the mornings. Very deprived area. Scary at times.

As a younger kid I remember the muckers and Granny Smiths caravan where Peregrines GAA is now.

The three huge trees in the middle of the estate. The bushes around the end of close. The back lanes and alleys for stashing Halloween bonfire loot.

Good memories but I never admitted where I was from on a CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

The local primary school asking for donations of winter coats for some of the students. Grim stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Zombie thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement