Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argentinian Dog Sits by His Owner's Grave for Six Years

Options
  • 04-01-2013 9:57am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

One Argentinian dog has spent the past six years proving he’s a man’s best friend, even though that man is dead. Capitán, a mutt who is some parts German Shepard, disappeared from his home in the small town of Villa Carlos Paz in the center of Argentina following the death of his owner, Miguel Guzmán, in March of 2006. That was, until the family visited Miguel’s grave at a municipal cemetery

"Damián started to shout that it was Capitán and the dog came toward us barking, as if he were crying,” Guzmán’s wife, Verónica Moreno.
    Capitán didn’t impress Verónica Moreno, the widow of Miguel Guzmán, but seeing how faithful he has been changed her mind. Even though the family called to the dog, he stayed by his master’s grave.

This surprised them: Miguel had passed away in a hospital in the city and his body was taken to a funeral home far away from their residence. None of the family members recalled the dog following them to the cemetery before.

“The next Sunday we went to visit Miguel’s grave and the dog was there. This time he followed us when we returned, because we had walked. He stayed with us at home for a while but later went back to the cemetery,” Verónica said.

He has made that cemetery his home for the past six years.

Full article here: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/argentinian-dog-stays-master-grave-years-article-1.1159250#ixzz2GzlXwLjU

Comments

He's looking for bones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He's looking for bones!

She's in the front room, whimpering.
    Our dog is called Bones.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Similar case in Scotland.

Grey friars Bobby in Edinburgh. There's a statue there in remembrance of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Similar story here, from years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

He's a pedigree chum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Classic case of yer man being buried with the remote control for the electric fence in his pocket. Poor dog can't stray more than 50 feet from the grave without getting a collar shock.

Dig Capitan, dig with all your might.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I know it's touching and all, but the dog should have been 'made' to move on and kept away from the cemetery. 6 years is too long for a dog to be pining after his owner and living alone in a graveyard

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If that was a cat.......

.......I dunno, probably just would've went off and lived it's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

That's ruff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

The dog days are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Reminds me of the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Bark

Most heartbreaking bit of animation (apart from the first 10 minutes of "Up") I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Duggy747 wrote: »
    If that was a cat.......

.......I dunno, probably just would've went off and lived it's life.

Or eaten it's owner's body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

An oft repeated story. At this stage, I'd be more impressed if an Argentinian sat by his dogs grave for six years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I know it's touching and all, but the dog should have been 'made' to move on and kept away from the cemetery. 6 years is too long for a dog to be pining after his owner and living alone in a graveyard

I don't know. He went home and then decided he'd rather go back and stay at the cemetery. If no one minds him being in the cemetery, there is a case for leaving him be and let him live out his days there in peace if that's what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Or eaten it's owner's body.

"Marie Provest didn't look her best
    The day the cops burst in to her lonely nest
    In that cheap hotel up on Hollywood West, July 29

She'd been lying there for two or three weeks
    The neighbours said they never heard a squeak
    For hungry eyes that could not speak
    Said even little doggie's got to eat

She was a winner
    Who became the doggie's dinner
    She never meant that much to me