Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Fishing?

Options
  • 04-01-2013 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi since the weather has gotten colder and the days have gotten shorter i haven't been fishing at all. This is due to the fact that the trout season is closed on my local fishing club and that there is no other places to fish that i know of in my local area. What i am wondering is that are there any good winter fishing venues around the Dublin area. Im up for any type of freshwater fishing. Im mad to do a bit of fishing but there is nowhere that i know of around me to fish. All responses will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Try a bit of sea angling if you into that... Shore fishing is quite good in the winter.. I am not certain but i think ye can fish for smooth hounds and cod this time of the year from the shore.... we dont get them species down here but plenty of mullet, bass and flatties from the shore.. we fish all year around down here..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I'm in Cahirciveen, and it looks like the wind might drop on next Tues/Weds, so I might get out on my boat to the other side of Beganish Island/Dolous Head, has anyone got any idea what I could catch there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rockynavan

try the canals theres plenty of coarse fish in there and you can catch them in the winter or just go down to lough ramer cavan it fishes well all year have you tryed corkea fishery think its in clondalkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Thanks Rocky, but I want to get out into the sea, I'm new round here , most of the boys have their boats out of the water, I left mine in hoping for a few high pressure calm days. I went out before Xmas and caught a small pollack, there were loads of fish indications on the fishfinder, but I had to come in as my mate thought it was too rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LeighB

Thanks for the reply's . I have heard that the canals do fish well but do you not need a licence to fish them? I tried a bit of pier fishing of howth a few weeks and only got a few small pollack so i might look into a bit of canal fishing thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

LeighB wrote: »
    I have heard that the canals do fish well but do you not need a licence to fish them?

No Licence required on the Grand or Royal Canals. An ethos of C&R is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Try a bit of sea angling if you into that... Shore fishing is quite good in the winter.. I am not certain but i think ye can fish for smooth hounds and cod this time of the year from the shore.... we dont get them species down here but plenty of mullet, bass and flatties from the shore.. we fish all year around down here..

the smooth hounds are long gone and the cod fishing in dublin isnt exactly great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

not great advice so really is it .red.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Leigh B, what area are you in?

I know of plenty winter trout fishing near and in Dublin.

Advertisement