Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm buying a 406 Coupe

• 04-01-2013 2:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭

So, the time has come to buy my first car (I have 5+ years experience on my parents with full license).

After considering a MKV Golf GTi for some time i'm now moving back a bit and considering a 406 Coupe.

My main reasons are that it will cost a lot less outright but should still have a bit of poke and be somewhat comfortable and stylish.

Now, I know there are many French car haters around so i'm not asking if I should buy. It's not going to cost huge money so if I have some hassle here and there it's not the end of the world. I must also say that I won't have to rely on this car so I can park it for a while to get fixed etc.

I'm really looking for advice on what to look out for when buying, questions to ask etc.

Also, if buying something cheap (<= €1000) is this a bad idea. I don't mind forking out a lump of cash to fix a major problem to get on the road if the car is otherwise decent. For example, i've heard the exhaust system can rot and fail NCT on emissions. I have been quoted €700 for a completely new re-fit from a Peugeot garage. That, I wouldn't mind for a €1k car.

A major concern of mine is the electronics. Can these be troubleshot and fixed relatively cheaply?

Any input welcome,

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Where's Row... :)

What engine you looking? D8 or D9?

Usual stuff like are the wheels at the back lying out, is there a clonk from the front going over bumps, do all the electrics work, has it received all the servicing it needs etc. Try to get one with leather, sumptuous leather :D All coupés had a strut brace too :)

These cars are awkward to work on but by no means difficult or expensive to maintain

Edit: there were special editions of these cars too. Example below is the Nautilius edition, recognised by it's unique wheels
    Nautilus.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

the only 406 coupe you should consider

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4333150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Your mind appears made up but personally I wouldn't touch a 10+ year old french car with a barge pole especially if you can afford better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭brenn7475

Your mind appears made up but personally I wouldn't touch a 10+ year old french car with a barge pole especially if you can afford better

Johnny is right. Being in car sales for many years they are just a nightmare to deal with. They are plagued with electrical issues due to very poor components. Anyone I know with french cars have told me that they have forked out hundreds of €€€'s on their cars mainly down to electrical problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

dgt wrote: »
    Where's Row... :)

What engine you looking? D8 or D9?

Usual stuff like are the wheels at the back lying out, is there a clonk from the front going over bumps, do all the electrics work, has it received all the servicing it needs etc. Try to get one with leather, sumptuous leather :D All coupés had a strut brace too :)

These cars are awkward to work on but by no means difficult or expensive to maintain

I'm looking at the 2.0 petrol (137BHP). I wouldn't touch a diesel tbh. Only really considering an SE spec. I'd really only change for an immaculate black one. Loves the black one!

What's your opinion on faulty electrics? Repairable or walk?
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    the only 406 coupe you should consider

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4333150

I'm trying hard to resist. I'd stomach the high insurance for year one and the low MPG. But the tax wouldn't take long to pi$$ me off!

My friend is selling the V6 in Tipperary, it's a fine example in great shape.

• Advertisement

brenn7475 wrote: »
    Johnny is right. Being in car sales for many years they are just a nightmare to deal with. They are plagued with electrical issues due to very poor components. Anyone I know with french cars have told me that they have forked out hundreds of €€€'s on their cars mainly down to electrical problems.

Thanks for the feedback, I am aware of the issues with electrics and it's something i'm willing to gamble on. To be honest I think i'll probably pickup a coupe for about €800-1000 and if that's the case, I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred quid on electrics in the next year or two. As long as it didn't run into thousands.

If I need to fork out largely on repairs during ownership i'll simply hold it for an extra year, then it'll pay for the repairs.

techguy wrote: »
    I'm looking at the 2.0 petrol (137BHP). I wouldn't touch a diesel tbh. Only really considering an SE spec. I'd really only change for an immaculate black one. Loves the black one!

What's your opinion on faulty electrics? Repairable or walk?

If I were getting a Coupé myself, I'd be hankering after a 2.2HDi :D:D:D

Faulty electrics? I'll let you decide... :(

My car has a mechanical diesel pump, yet the electrics still affected it till I got round to rewiring it myself :rolleyes:

Electrics are not nice when they don't work. I've pretty much given up with this car and learned to live with it's fickle windows :mad:

I find though with my car, I don't want to drive it hard, I drive it for the sake of driving it. I find more often I'll hop in, put on the radio and go for a spin, sometimes 300 miles in 1 night :) It's a nice place to be, seats are so comfortable, quiet inside (no rattles or squeaks from the dash), no urge to race it or hammer it into corners, it prefers to soak up the bumps :)

Thanks for the feedback, I am aware of the issues with electrics and it's something i'm willing to gamble on. To be honest I think i'll probably pickup a coupe for about €800-1000 and if that's the case, I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred quid on electrics in the next year or two. As long as it didn't run into thousands.

If I need to fork out largely on repairs during ownership i'll simply hold it for an extra year, then it'll pay for the repairs.

Not even electrics techguy.... I mean for example a friend of mine has a 2003 Clio that has been relatively well driven by himself. And honest to god the car has been a disaster. 2003.83K And in the last two years he's spent about €1k on it. Basically because he's no choice at the moment to keep it on the road I'm using the a Renualt as an example sure. But they all use the same parts. I've worked in a Peugeot dealership and they all suffer the same issues. The 406 Couple is a nice looking car granted. But as with any car with "coupe" on the back it going to have been driving harder than most. It would have been bought for this specific reason. Have a look around and see what else is out there. I know the money is good on it but please there are better quality motors out there.

Not even electrics techguy.... I mean for example a friend of mine has a 2003 Clio that has been relatively well driven by himself. And honest to god the car has been a disaster. 2003.83K And in the last two years he's spent about €1k on it. Basically because he's no choice at the moment to keep it on the road I'm using the a Renualt as an example sure. But they all use the same parts. I've worked in a Peugeot dealership and they all suffer the same issues. The 406 Couple is a nice looking car granted. But as with any car with "coupe" on the back it going to have been driving harder than most. It would have been bought for this specific reason. Have a look around and see what else is out there. I know the money is good on it but please there are better quality motors out there.

Thanks brenn, I know what your saying. I'm not a gambling man and generally, don't take chances but there's something in me telling me to buy this car and see if I can get 2 years out of it.If I pay a grand or less for one I really have no problem putting another grand into it over a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Electrics are one thing that can drive you mad very quickly. You could spend hours looking for something and be none the wiser.

• Advertisement

Thanks brenn, I know what your saying. I'm not a gambling man and generally, don't take chances but there's something in me telling me to buy this car and see if I can get 2 years out of it.If I pay a grand or less for one I really have no problem putting another grand into it over a year or two.

No worries Tech

If you feel it's the car for you then go for it. Just make sure you go over ever inch before buying. Google every review on the 406 coupe that you can. Make a check-list.

Firstly...

Start the car up...Any noises? Ignition/ Starter/
    What does the car smell like inside? Lift all the mats if any? hands on the carpets for dampness? Seats? Boot take the spare wheel out and water underneath. With it's electrical reputation you don't need leaks with this one Bring a high density torch. Wheel arches /Exhaust / Calipers/ etc

Run the car is the heater working? what does it smell like?

Check everything electrical push all the buttons. You know yourself.

Best of luck.

Would it be any use getting an OBDII diag tool and bringing my laptop?

Would it help identify any deeper electrical issues?

Would it be any use getting an OBDII diag tool and bringing my laptop?

Would it help identify any deeper electrical issues?

It would be no harm.

If the engine management light on it will give you a fault code alright.

Ignitions problems are the big one's to look out for.

Finicky things like windows/indicator switches be on the look out.

Here is a good source http://www.406oc.co.uk/index.php?sid=da64cd74a04bb86c97930f4878a502ba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

But as with any car with "coupe" on the back it going to have been driving harder than most. It would have been bought for this specific reason.

Oh, baloney. The 406 coupe was never a powerful or sporty car, unless you bought the V6. The 2.0 is just a pretty cruiser. Coupes are not bought by performance nuts, they are bought by people who like a pretty car and don't need 4 doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Hey Techguy...
    As a previous owner of a 406 coupe I make sure you really are getting a well looked after and maintained car.
    This car broke my heart as for years I craved to have one. It was one thing after another that went wrong. In the 2 years I had one. I had the following problems.

Rad leak,
    Oil Leak,
    Window regulator broke,
    New exhaust need,
    Clutch replaced
    Seatbelt warning light did not turn off.
    Airbag warning light would not work.
    Expensive on tax,
    and beast for drinking petrol.

That said, they are a beautiful car and I would always get compliments in petrol stations and at traffic lights.
    I ended up selling it to a guy who approached me while I was waiting for my wife at the train station,,,, I was glad to see the back off it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭pcardin

Dow99 wrote: »
    Hey Techguy...
    As a previous owner of a 406 coupe I make sure you really are getting a well looked after and maintained car.
    This car broke my heart as for years I craved to have one. It was one thing after another that went wrong. In the 2 years I had one. I had the following problems.

Rad leak,
    Oil Leak,
    Window regulator broke,
    New exhaust need,
    Clutch replaced
    Seatbelt warning light did not turn off.
    Airbag warning light would not work.
    Expensive on tax,
    and beast for drinking petrol.
    That said, they are a beautiful car and I would always get compliments in petrol stations and at traffic lights.
    I ended up selling it to a guy who approached me while I was waiting for my wife at the train station,,,, I was glad to see the back off it....

ah common...all these can happen and happens with any car make :confused:

I had two 406 coupes in my life. First was V6 3liter automatic in Germany and then 2 liter here in Ireland. Appart from window sensor (responsible for lowering door glass by few cm before door is opened) which seems a common enough issue I did not encounter any other electric related issues. 2 liter is not really fast but it is definitely not a "beast of drinking petrol" in fact I would say it was one of the most economical 2 liter petrol engines I ever owned. Even 3 liter didn't had heavy drinking problems altought it preffered Super Unleaded (E98) better.
    I had two of them in my life and still consider to get another one at some stage. For me 406 Coupe is still one of the most beautiful cars from late 90's ealry 00's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The 406 Coupe are a nice car alright. But check every single electric component before buying. Bring your OBD scan tool too to check, sometimes bulbs can be taken out of warning lights!
    But not every French car will fail horribly, and if it's all working after 10 years then there's every chance you'll get another 2 out of it.
    I would consider the diesel though, as I've driven the 3 litre V6 and it's quite disappointing. Nice enough sound, but not a very quick car at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭pcardin

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I would consider the diesel though, as I've driven the 3 litre V6 and it's quite disappointing. Nice enough sound, but not a very quick car at all.

I would agree on this. Not particulary quick or powerful (205hp). But V6 here in Ireland probably wouldn't be a normal choice anyway due to heavy motor tax.

Oh, baloney. The 406 coupe was never a powerful or sporty car, unless you bought the V6. The 2.0 is just a pretty cruiser. Coupes are not bought by performance nuts, they are bought by people who like a pretty car and don't need 4 doors.

oh c'mon at this stage of any 406 coupe's life ....lay off...it's true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I will give an opinion as other than the reliability of the car which seems to be the only measure used on boards.....

The 2 litre is sadly underpowered and you'll know it within 10 miles of your first drive, but if you can live with that then there may be no point in spending more than the car is worth on tax with the 3 litre. The newer ones will most likely be diesel and I honestly don't know much about them many here will tell you about them - otherwise the engine is used in multiple cars so you should be easily be able to find an online review of it.

As for chassis as ever the French manage what so many others don't seem to be able to, a fine blend of driving dynamics coupled with a very comfortable refined ride. ( dont kow if this still holds true of the French ).
    It isn't the very best handling car but it is competent enough to encourage you to have some confidence in it and its all the time so smooth your passengers wont even realise you've been pushing on till they get there early.

Inside is a nice place to be too - nice soft plastics ( not all ), seems fairly well put together ( queue 50 comments about electrics ) and as someone else pointed out the leather is sumptuous and comfortable.

Some things that annoyed me - the gear box seems more suited to a truck than a coupe with really long lever and an excruciating long throw and the engine as well as being down on power has very little torque meaning you have to stir that stick a lot to keep it moving.

no more time really - if you want actual opinions find a proper motoring forum. If you want a broad taring of everything bar the Toyota Corolla or Skoda Octavia as unreliable sh1te - come to boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I will give an opinion as other than the reliability of the car which seems to be the only measure used on boards.....

The 2 litre is sadly underpowered and you'll know it within 10 miles of your first drive, but if you can live with that then there may be no point in spending more than the car is worth on tax with the 3 litre. The newer ones will most likely be diesel and I honestly don't know much about them many here will tell you about them - otherwise the engine is used in multiple cars so you should be easily be able to find an online review of it.

As for chassis as ever the French manage what so many others don't seem to be able to, a fine blend of driving dynamics coupled with a very comfortable refined ride. ( dont kow if this still holds true of the French ).
    It isn't the very best handling car but it is competent enough to encourage you to have some confidence in it and its all the time so smooth your passengers wont even realise you've been pushing on till they get there early.

Inside is a nice place to be too - nice soft plastics ( not all ), seems fairly well put together ( queue 50 comments about electrics ) and as someone else pointed out the leather is sumptuous and comfortable.

Some things that annoyed me - the gear box seems more suited to a truck than a coupe with really long lever and an excruciating long throw and the engine as well as being down on power has very little torque meaning you have to stir that stick a lot to keep it moving.

no more time really - if you want actual opinions find a proper motoring forum. If you want a broad taring of everything bar the Toyota Corolla or Skoda Octavia as unreliable sh1te - come to boards
    Yep, hard to argue with any of that. I've not driven the 2 litre (at least I don't remember driving one), but seeing as I found the 3 litre to be sadly lacking any kind of oomph that I was expecting then I would take a look at the diesel because the high torque at low revs would better suit the more relaxed setup of the chassis and car in general. I think the 2.2 (which was 136bhp) was actually reliable enough, it was in the 607 too, but the 607 really was dogged with electrical issues. The Coupe actually wasn't too bad.
    Unfortunately, while RobaMerc is right regarding the French cars and their balance between chassis competence and comfort, sadly that seems to have dwindled over the last 10 years. The 405 was ahead of it's time in terms of ability and comfort, the 406 was also excellent, but if memory serves I think the 406 Coupe was actually set up more for comfort than the saloon as they aimed it as a kind of Grand Tourer car. Can't remember correctly, but either way, it does certainly feel more of a GT than sporty coupe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

It's not a sporty drive definitely, but stick in in 5th and you can comfortably go from 35km/h all the way to motorway cruising speed and beyond with minimal effort. Outside the city, you need never change gear at all.

Thanks guys some great input.

@dgt Thanks for the videos. Really drives home what people mean when they talk about dodgy electrics. Could actually be anything at all.

Do any of the Coupes have multiplex wiring and if so when did it come in?

I'm currently looking at OBDII tools. Here is one that i'm looking at and here's another.

What is the difference in the devices? Do some devices report more than others are is that all down to the software? Is the bundled software sufficient or do I need to fork out for better stuff separately?

What one would you buy? I don't really know about these eBay €10 jobs, I want one I can trust.

Thanks guys some great input.

@dgt Thanks for the videos. Really drives home what people mean when they talk about dodgy electrics. Could actually be anything at all.

Do any of the Coupes have multiplex wiring and if so when did it come in?

No problem, just remember that is an older, simpler car too. Tread with caution hence why I said make sure all electrics work!

Assuming you are after a D9, beware of any elec gremlins caused by the BSI connectors under the carpet. Poor design means that sometimes water will short it out causing all sorts of fun! :(

Multiplex came in circa 2001 ish. Easy to tell apart, just look at the stalks, pre multiplex has the older thin stalks, multiplex has chunky modern stalks

Pre multiplex
    Peugeot%20406%20Coupe%20Auto%20Wiper%20Stalk%2097-01.jpg
    Peugeot%20406%20Indicator%20Stalk%20With%20Horn%2097-01.jpg

Multiplex
    6239q3.jpeg
    155440233.jpg

Multiplex came in circa 2001 ish. Easy to tell apart, just look at the stalks, pre multiplex has the older thin stalks, multiplex has chunky modern stalks

Ok, so are you saying that a 2001 Coupe could be one or the other? If that is the case would you prefer multiplex on multiplex?

I'm guessing non multiplex would be better as it would be easier to troubleshoot simple faults like switches and hack them back to life?

Ok, so are you saying that a 2001 Coupe could be one or the other? If that is the case would you prefer multiplex on multiplex?

I'm guessing non multiplex would be better as it would be easier to troubleshoot simple faults like switches and hack them back to life?

It's hit and miss, only way to tell is by the stalks.

I can't see very well but this one looks to have the chunky stalks, therefore it's a multiplex setup.

From experience of my own 406, I stayed with the D8. Less electrical nonsense!

It's hit and miss, only way to tell is by the stalks.

Lovely, another variable in my equation for a suitable Coupe. :pac:

Lovely, another variable in my equation for a suitable Coupe. :pac:

Change was circa 2001. Better explained way to tell the difference

Multiplex
    Peugeot%20206%20Radio%20Control%20Stalk%2002-09.jpg

Pre multiplex
    $T2eC16N,!y8E9s2filutBQTKBW13ug~~60_35.JPG

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd a friend who bought one of these when they were new, God it was gorgeous.

Still see the odd one and love them.

Weren't they designed by Pinninfarina?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd a friend who bought one of these when they were new, God it was gorgeous.

Still see the odd one and love them.

Weren't they designed by Pinninfarina?

Yes they were, I think their still a smashing looking car. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

My brother has 406 Coupe 2.2HDi. Full leather, electrics, basically the works. Overall it's been a great car though not as economical as expected. It's also very laggy at low revs leaving me almost broadsided at a roundabout the first time I drove it.
    Electrically, he's had no problems aside from the temperamental sat nav which is crap. It's a 406 saloon underneath which has a great reputation so I wouldn't worry about reliability. They're a basic car mechanically and there isn't a hell of a lot to go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

you should really consider the 406 coupe, great looking car and are rare enough on irish roads for the reason that every goes for the generic 3 series coupe

Hi Guys,

I've just discovered an issue with me trying to buy a car. I currently don't have any insurance at all as I didn't renew with my parents.

What is the most practical way for me to test drive a car from a private seller? I know a garage would be fine as they could put me on their insurance.

Could I ring up the insurance company before hand and they could insure me temporarily or is it just a case that it's tough luck and I need to try a garage?

Also, does anybody know off the top of their heads how much it would cost to fix springs on the front that make a noise when going over a bump. Your man said only €100 but i'd say it would be a bit more.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi Guys,

I've just discovered an issue with me trying to buy a car. I currently don't have any insurance at all as I didn't renew with my parents.

What is the most practical way for me to test drive a car from a private seller? I know a garage would be fine as they could put me on their insurance.

Could I ring up the insurance company before hand and they could insure me temporarily or is it just a case that it's tough luck and I need to try a garage?

Also, does anybody know off the top of their heads how much it would cost to fix springs on the front that make a noise when going over a bump. Your man said only €100 but i'd say it would be a bit more.

Thanks.

You could get temporarily put back on your parents policy and make sure you've open drive on it.

Do you know what parts you need?

Stheno wrote: »
    You could get temporarily put back on your parents policy and make sure you've open drive on it.

Do you know what parts you need?

Ok, sounds awkward but i'll check it out, thanks.

No, not a clue. Just wondering about ballpark to replace spring and dampers on both sides at front.

• Advertisement

Just had a look at the 406 Coupe Owners Club troubleshooter and discovered it's probably droplinks that I need.

Is there a place I get prices for parts like this online without annoying you folks?

Ref: http://www.406coupeclub.org/PHPBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=35858

Front droplinks £10 a side
    Rear droplinks £15 a side

Can be a right arse to change the rears

Not too bad so.

I called the guy about this today and he says 80k on the clock and needs the front drop links replaced.

What ye think? That leather seat looks like it has done more than 80k??

If the electrics are in good shape, could be a bargain?

My car has 110 k on it when I bought it and the drivers seat was more worn that that.

It's no NCT? that would be an issue for me.
    Is he willing to put it through?

And is it that pale metallic blue (petty I know, I just hate that colour)

Not too bad so.

I called the guy about this today and he says 80k on the clock and needs the front drop links replaced.

Hoggar rims, a 2.2 or has Brembos?

Seat doesn't look too bad imo

Why in damaged repairables though? Front drop links are easy to do....

• Advertisement

Actually, yea it is I think. Wasn't really thinking about that lol, I hate it too. :L

Actually, yea it is I think. Wasn't really thinking about that lol, I hate it too. :L

Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Not too bad so.

Drop links on a 406 are like windscreen wipers on any other car, you will probably need a set every 6months-1yr but as dgt said they are cheap as chips and not a big job (even pugeot main dealers dont charge the earth for the job)
    Its worth it for the comfort ;)

Older french cars being electrical nightmares is just pub (****e) talk spawned I presume by the laguna II.

I have owned a 96 xantia, a 98 406, an 01 c5 and I currently drive an 07 (i think) clio as a company car and have experienced 0 problems.

Having said that I wouldnt buy any car that already had an electrical problem as you never know what butchery has already been attempted to fix it.

ObdII is only standard on petrols from 2001 and diesels from 2004 so check first before rolling up with the laptop;) if it does you can buy a blutooth obdII plug from Ebay and read the codes from your android phone using the torque app!

I hope you find a nice one, I think they are lovely cars and its only the 3 kids that made it an impractical choice for me:rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

What do you think of this example on DoneDeal?

I read some negative feedback on here about this dealer.

Cartell says this isn't an SE, which is my preference. But saying that it has leather and the alloys I like (Hoggar)

They say the NCT will be done which is re-assuring.

She's worth a look, a looks no harm. Hoggars were fitted to cars with Brembos, alas I doubt that one has em. It has leather too :D

Know anyone with a loose Corail lying about? ;)

Does it make a difference that this has an AA sticker on it? Would it mean a previous owner took good care of it?

How much for a new set (4) of tyres for one if these if I see one that needs them?

Thanks.
    Know anyone with a loose Corail lying about? ;)

Huh? :confused:

Corail is a style of 406 wheel, google it ;)

Hoggars are 16, tyres wouldn't be cheap...

It's easy to stick stickers on, go check it out, drive it then decide :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Did you buy one OP?I just bought one tonight, I was looking at Alfa 156 but test drove the 406 coupe and build quality wise its miles ahead of the Alfa. As you can guess I like good looking cars. Only recently started looking at them but knew I had to have it when I drove it. Seems to have been well maintained, interior not really worn at all after 100,000 miles, bodywork great 1 or 2 stone chips but thats to be expected. Drivers heated seat doesnt work but everything else fine, didnt feel cold to sit on anyway and this is about as cold as it gets. It really is a looker though, and its a huge car! Very comfortable, not hugely sporty but think I'll enjoy laid back cruising in it. Plenty of room in back seats too which can be unusual for a coupe. All in all very happy with it...have had 2 Peugeots in my time (206 and 307) never had the famed electrical problems so hopefully 3rd time lucky too. There are more electrics in this such as memory seats but still working which is a good sign. Quite rare too, they're not everywhere like some cars. The price paid was 780 euro for a 2000 petrol 2 litre

bmwguy wrote: »
    Did you buy one OP?I just bought one tonight, I was looking at Alfa 156 but test drove the 406 coupe and build quality wise its miles ahead of the Alfa. As you can guess I like good looking cars. Only recently started looking at them but knew I had to have it when I drove it. Seems to have been well maintained, interior not really worn at all after 100,000 miles, bodywork great 1 or 2 stone chips but thats to be expected. Drivers heated seat doesnt work but everything else fine, didnt feel cold to sit on anyway and this is about as cold as it gets. It really is a looker though, and its a huge car! Very comfortable, not hugely sporty but think I'll enjoy laid back cruising in it. Plenty of room in back seats too which can be unusual for a coupe. All in all very happy with it...have had 2 Peugeots in my time (206 and 307) never had the famed electrical problems so hopefully 3rd time lucky too. There are more electrics in this such as memory seats but still working which is a good sign. Quite rare too, they're not everywhere like some cars. The price paid was 780 euro for a 2000 petrol 2 litre

Well wear, you pretty much got it for peanuts!

Advertisement