Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password listing

Options
  • 03-01-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place for this question. Not really a problem I think, but I am interested if anyone knows how it works.

I just went to use the BBC website and it required me to register. When I clicked on the password window it helpfully provided a dropdown of various names I have used on other sites in the past.

They were a random assortment including my name, my email address, my boards username and one that I had used just once to post anon on Boards. The one that puzzled me was a name familiar to me from Boards, but not one that I had ever used for any reason.

Can anyone offer any suggestion of how that name might have got into my list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Who else uses that computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Chrome auto fill form fields?

Its on your browser not the BBC.

Most browsers do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its on your browser not the BBC.

Yes I know that, I was not saying it was the BBC. I am the only person who uses this computer.

The autofill list comes up frequently, but this was a list that was a bit random - some old names - including a Boards user that was not me. On other autofills it tends to be names that you have used on that site, mostly it only gives my email address. I was just a bit intrigued as to how something could have got into my autofill.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As a moderator you would have on occassion had reason to type other users' usernames into a field marked "username" on boards.ie to send PMs, check spammers, etc.

The form fill would remember this and will suggest it as a possible entry on other sites which have a "username" box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Some form fields are different types than others and will have a different history. So BBC's was probably a form field type that you haven't used in a while.

You can set Chrome to clear the saved autofill when you clear your browsing data.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Left yourself signed into chrome on another computer someone else used? It auto-syncs to every instance you sign in to.

Left yourself signed into chrome on another computer someone else used? It auto-syncs to every instance you sign in to.

Surely that would allow harvesting of user names and e-mail addresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Victor wrote: »
    Surely that would allow harvesting of user names and e-mail addresses?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21327/sync-your-google-chrome-bookmarks-theme-and-more/

I suppose if you leave yourself logged in on a public computer...

Advertisement