Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for recommends.

Options
  • 03-01-2013 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hey all
    Looking for some new artists to get into, figured this was the place to come to.

I'm mainly into two types of hip hop I guess, first would be stuff thats all about beats and production and get me fired up for the gym etc.
    stuff like:
    DMX, M.O.P, Ice Cube, Mobb Deep, Xzibit, MC Ren, La coka nostra, etc also just recently was recommend LL cool J's exit 13 and loved that.

Then I also like thought provoking stuff like:
    Sage Francis, Eyedea & Abilities, POS/ Sims/ Cecil Otter & Doomtree as a collective.

Any recommends appreciated.
    :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Have a look through the track of the day thread. Plenty of gems in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I looked through there and seen a lot of chilled out stuff alright, looking for some good aggressive stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Sounds like your into your 2000's era more so? Try checking out Celph Titled, Apathy, Action Bronson, Reks, Sean Price, Immortal Technique, Joey Badass...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

OK. On my phone so cant post links but youtube, Vinnie Paz, Jedi Mind Tricks, AOTP

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Hey all
    Looking for some new artists to get into, figured this was the place to come to.

I'm mainly into two types of hip hop I guess, first would be stuff thats all about beats and production and get me fired up for the gym etc.
    stuff like:
    DMX, M.O.P, Ice Cube, Mobb Deep, Xzibit, MC Ren, La coka nostra, etc also just recently was recommend LL cool J's exit 13 and loved that.

Then I also like thought provoking stuff like:
    Sage Francis, Eyedea & Abilities, POS/ Sims/ Cecil Otter & Doomtree as a collective.

Any recommends appreciated.
    :pac:

If you haven't heard of B.Dolan (Sage Francis partner in crime) then check out his stuff.

As you like Doomtree, check out the Marijuana Death Squad's free album:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/09/download-marijuana-deathsquads-tamper-disable-destroy-mixtape/
    There is alot of Doomtree input on that.

Also look up Astronautalis, Sadistik, Kristoff Krane (http://kristoffkrane.bandcamp.com/).

Action Bronson is a must, the OC & Apollo Brown album from last year is great.
    Oddisee and Substantial from the Mello Music Group had outstanding albums last year.

PRO ERA are a new crew from NY with an old school vibe, the prominent member is Joey BadA$$ who has a few free mixtapes. Also check out Capital STEEZ's (RIP) mixtape which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Check out Freddie Gibbs. He's one of the best rappers I've heard in years.

He has loads of free mixtapes out there. Most can be found on Datpiff.

Get into his stuff now because this year he will releasing what I reckon could potentially be a classic album with Madlib. Here's a tune that they did back in 2011. Expect more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Oh and if you're looking for some proper aggressive music then you'll be hard pressed anything more aggressive than Death Grips. They are difficult to listen to but there are some real gems in there.

They have one mixtape out, Exmilitary. That's quite difficult to listen to. Their debut, The Money Store, is easier going.

Their follow-up was very controversial. There's a picture of one of the member's dicks on the front cover with the album title written on it :pac:. Then they got pissed off (pun intended) with their record label, Epic Records, and leaked the album, posting links up on Twitter to various file-sharing sites. That resulted in them being dropped.

Enjoy.

Advertisement