Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job or college???

Options
  • 03-01-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,
    I'm in need of advice......
    I'm 25 and have a permanent secure job which i used to like a lot but things have changed dramatically in past two years and looks like it will only get worse in future. I'm ambitious and worked hard with view of possible promotion but this looks like it's off the cards now. I now find im miserable getting up and dragging myself in everyday. I have a mortgage also. My job doesnt pay that well and rarely have spare cash at the end of the month. I've heard of a course from nuig which is designed for people working, it's a level 8 honours degree. I'm extremely interested in pursuing this but am not sure i'll be able for it/can afford it. From september of this yr some income would be freed up so feel i have a small chance of changing my life.

I have a lot more to consider also if i take on the degree. Obtaining this degree would make me so proud but ultimate reason would be so i could go on to do a masters in social work. This would take 2 years full time in college and i would have to move counties to attend college full time. This would result in me having to sell my house (which i have considered doing anyway as it's too expensive but i can manage it at the moment)

So please give me your opinion.
    Should i keep my job/house?
    Should i save for the year and start degree in 2014?
    Should i use all spare cash to start the degree this sept and when finished sell house and pursue masters and start a new life?

I would love to do option 3 but there is a lot to lose if plans dont go so well.
    I really dont know what to do and any help would be so appreciated.

If i went ahead with this i'd be about 33-35 before qualifying as social worker, would this be too late to start new career? What if i cudnt get work in my field after giving so much up?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I'm on a similar route to you; I gave up work at 31 too peruse the dream, I'll be 40 at a minimum before I even make a decent living. That said I'm going down the legal route so it's a bit of an extreme case. I'd recommend it to anyone! I'm happier now than I've ever been.

There are a couple of issues that jump out at me though. Firstly your house - can you sell without being saddled with debt - e.g. are you in positive equity? Are there jobs in your future profession? A masters is no guarantee of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 undecided25

I'm on a similar route to you; I gave up work at 31 too peruse the dream, I'll be 40 at a minimum before I even make a decent living. That said I'm going down the legal route so it's a bit of an extreme case. I'd recommend it to anyone! I'm happier now than I've ever been.

There are a couple of issues that jump out at me though. Firstly your house - can you sell without being saddled with debt - e.g. are you in positive equity? Are there jobs in your future profession? A masters is no guarantee of a job.

Hello, thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure if the house sold i would break even as i'm not in negative equity. At the moment jobs aren't plentiful from what i can gather but as it would take me so long to qualify i would really hope things would have improved significantly. I guess if i dont try i'll never know! Best of luck to you.

Advertisement