Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Samsung Smart TV to network drive

Options
  • 03-01-2013 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I have a USB hard drive plugged in to my router, and it is currently visible from all my computers. I put all of my movies on the drive.

I have a Samsung series 8 smart TV, and I was wondering if there's a way of connecting it to the drive wirelessly to play the movies. This all works well when the drive is wired in to the TV via USB, but it has to be wireless.

There must be an app for the TV (or even a homebrew hack or something) that will allow me to connect to the network drive as if it's connected via USB. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,953 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Does your tv have wireless connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Headshot wrote: »
    Does your tv have wireless connection?

Yes, I only bought it a month ago. Wireless working perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I'm not an expert on this, but afaik you would need your router to act as a DLNA server. Samsung smart TV's should have a DLNA client already (AllShare Play, I think?).

I'm not an expert on this, but afaik you would need your router to act as a DLNA server. Samsung smart TV's should have a DLNA client already (AllShare Play, I think?).

Well my router certainly will not be able to run a server, so what you're saying is I'm going to have to keep my computer on and run the server off that for it to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

What router is it?

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    What router is it?

Apple Time Capsule. Unless I am greatly mistaken there is no onboard hardware to run anything more than the DHCP server, and afaik it can't run anything like wrt

Advertisement