Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The time you most put your foot in it?

Options
  • 03-01-2013 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I have:
    • Tapped a women on the shoulder on the bus to offer her an empty seat, on for her to turn around and only be about 48
    • Asked a heavily pregnant women shopping in the Maternity section of my store when she was due, only for her to tell me she was shopping for a gift for her sister and was, in fact, not pregnant.
    • Today I left a comment on a photo of my friend and his father (on facebook) saying 'Wow your are the IMAGE of your dad!' only to receive an PM from his sister saying he had just found out he was adopted.

Whats your most shameful mistake?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Shinaynay wrote: »
    I have:
    • Tapped a women on the shoulder on the bus to offer her an empty seat, on for her to turn around and only be about 48

That's very specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

You tapped a 48 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

When I'm talking to someone who has cancer the only topic of conversation I think of are the deaths of people who have died from cancer :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

got a new pair of boots in the sales last week, put both feet right into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

IBDDSOY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You tapped a 48 year old?

Giggidy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

Shinaynay wrote: »
    Whats your most shameful mistake?

that last one isn't shameful really...how were you to know he was adopted?

(presumably the chap had the same skin colour as his dad - cos if he didn't then theres no hope for you and also thats hilarious)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Life has taught me a valuable lesson, you never, ever, ever, ever, ever, everrrrr assume a woman is pregnant, and ask when she's due. Unless she tells you first.

krudler wrote: »
    Life has taught me a valuable lesson, you never, ever, ever, ever, ever, everrrrr assume a woman is pregnant, and ask when she's due. Unless she tells you first.

unless you really really really reeeeeaaaallllly dislike the woman in question.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You only do it once, believe me!

• Advertisement

You should be able to see the baby's head before you ask that question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

My friend works in the post office and one day, a man she hasn't seen in ages, comes in.

After a bit of general chat, she says 'Jesus Pat, you've a great tan, were you somewhere foreign?'

'Ah no, I'm actually jaundiced, I've liver cirrhosis'.

She proceeded to nearly shyte herself while making sounds like 'ah but you look great' etc etc.

You should be able to see the baby's head before you ask that question!

me: scuse me....madam are you crowning?

her: yes you ****in retard...what was your first clue

me: well excuse me for being excessively polite

her: fetch a midwife fool

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pressurised Container

I was at a wedding once and the priest had an awful stutter. On the Monday I was in bits and someone asked how the wedding went I said grand except the priest got an awful bad stutter and got very bad in the church,Of course I began to mimick him as I sat in my seat I remembered the guy beside me also had a terrible stutter!! Cue lots of awkward looks.

My own fault for even commenting on the priest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I work in a factory, all of the machines have alarms/buzzers etc to signal to those operating them that there is something wrong.
    After a while you get used to it and it sort of becomes normal background noise.
    It is only if an alarm is going for 30secs or so that people register it.
    One day I was working an a machine when I could hear an alarm going off close by, it went on and on and on for a few minutes and it was really getting on my nerves.
    I looked over and say a woman nearby who was oblivious to the noise.
    I left a roar (bad day at teh office :o ) but she didn't respond.
    I went over an silenced the alarm and said half joking/half irritated"Jesus, are you f**king deaf or what?....

Turns out she is partially, and her hearing aid had broken. :o:o

I still feel crap about it years later.

I also asked another girl at work who I hadn't seen in a while if she had been on holidays, turned out she had been off after having a miscarriage and her father had passed away as well. She ran away crying. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

more of a non-verbal one but was in aldi one evening & of course was stuck in a massive queue, bout 5 people in front of me, 10 behind.

saw a staff member walk over to a closed till and thought she said 'next' so i jumped over and everyone followed me. She then walked away from the counter so we were all just left standing there with me to blame.. Heard a few curse words under breaths while we had to all crawl back to the original queue , which about 6 new people had joined.

very very embarrassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I was backstage at a concert a few years back and I mistook Shania Twain for Dana.

Worst part is it was a Shania Twain concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I posted this a while back in another thread but it seems appropriate to this one:

I remember having an exchange when I was about ten with a girl who lived down the road from me that went something like this:

Her: how much did your parents pay for that bike, 50p?

Me: *mortally offended about someone slagging my cool new bike*: yeah, well that's what your parents paid for you in the orphanage

Her: *runs off in tears*

Turns out she (and the two other kids in the family) were adopted and nobody knew, including me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Where To wrote: »
    I was backstage at a concert a few years back and I mistook Shania Twain for Dana.

Worst part is it was a Shania Twain concert.

To be fair, pretty cringe being at the Shania concert in the first place!!

I remember a friend of mine a few months ago was telling us about a girl a few of us know that just had a baby and she was telling us the name of the baby and was saying "bleugh, what a rotten name, etc."..... she'd forgotten that one of us girls she was speaking to has a nephew with the same name.

I wouldn't mind only it's usually me saying how much I hate all the $hitty names parents pick for their children these days, was surprised it wasn't me putting my foot in it for a change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Meangadh wrote: »
    To be fair, pretty cringe being at the Shania concert in the first place!!

I remember a friend of mine a few months ago was telling us about a girl a few of us know that just had a baby and she was telling us the name of the baby and was saying "bleugh, what a rotten name, etc."..... she'd forgotten that one of us girls she was speaking to has a nephew with the same name.

I wouldn't mind only it's usually me saying how much I hate all the $hitty names parents pick for their children these days, was surprised it wasn't me putting my foot in it for a change!
    I'm not ashamed to admit I have belted out 'I Feel Like A Woman' on more than one occasion.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was telling a mate on the bus about how some girl was a complete slapper. Turns out she was sitting on the seat in front of us, didn't notice till she got off at her stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I say stupid things all the time;

A very small fella came into the hotel I work in and I couldn't stop saying "wee", "i'll be one wee moment, let me give you a wee showaround, will you take a wee drink". I swear I never say "wee" normally but after about saying it 20 times it got a wee bit awkward.

There's a petrol station down at the bottom of my road and the young fella that dispenses petrol only had one hand, I was buying a bag of coal and he went to get it, as he was walking towards the door I shouted "do you want a hand"

When I was about 14/15 I was in town and seen a good friend walking towards me, he was dressed in a suit and I stupidly said "Jesus who died", of course his granny had just died.

I said to a Mother of the Bride while showing her to her seat "and this seat is for your husband", of course he had passed away.

I could go on but you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

While discussing with two mates how stupid we all were in our youth about std protection, I used the name of a local wan who was a bit of a bike as an example of "how we could all be riddled" as we'd all been there at one stage or another. All of us that is, except one of the two guys present, who hadn't been with anyone at all.
    Turns out he had got together with her the weekend previously at a wedding and was now official with her. :(:(:(
    To make it worse he fcuking married her.
    The rest of the gang still dont believe me to this day that I didnt know.

There was and is NO way back from that ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I posted this a while back in another thread but it seems appropriate to this one:

I remember having an exchange when I was about ten with a girl who lived down the road from me that went something like this:

Her: how much did your parents pay for that bike, 50p?

Me: *mortally offended about someone slagging my cool new bike*: yeah, well that's what your parents paid for you in the orphanage

Her: *runs off in tears*

Turns out she (and the two other kids in the family) were adopted and nobody knew, including me. :o

You're going straight to hell! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I once asked a girl how her mother was only for her to burst into tears and say that her mother had died 3 months previously
    The gas thing is even though I know her quite well and we have lots of mutual friends I really hadn't heard.
    I went home and told my husband and he knew she'd died. I still don't know how I missed that piece of news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

went to a pub with my da and bumped into someone i hadnt seen in years since i left high school.

me : jesus i havent seen you in ages, what are you doing here (he doesnt live in the same town)
    him : oh I am here for (name) stag do
    me : sure who would marry that w***er, a**hole and a few other choice names as I didnt like the guy
    him : that would be my sister

then cue him bring his da over aswell to tell him what i just said, be fair to the both of them they had a laugh about it where as I was standing wishing for the earth to open up and swallow me :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

heard a story today about a young one working on one of the make up counters in bt's, a mother & daughter were in shopping & told her they were off on holls the next day so your one starts saying 'Oh sure the stuffs half price in the airport get it there!'

turns out that the woman she was trying to persuade to shop elsewhere was head of concessions for bt's!! she got a bollocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You're going straight to hell! :p

There's a special seat reserved for you and all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dogwoodflower

I was asked why I didn't use my last name in promoting my photography. I replied that I did not like my last name. Come to find out that that was their last name also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

When on a bus it's better to let a pregnant woman stand than have a fat woman sitting down crying...

Advertisement