Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Triathlon/Duathlon info.

Options
  • 03-01-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Right guys I have a few questions regarding my first Triathlon. I am 35 and fairly fit at the moment after completing my first marathon,Dublin city(3:18mins) and a couple of 10k runs since. I need a new challenge so am considering joining a triathlon club. What gear equipment will I need. I have an ordinary wetsuit, all the running gear and a Trek hybrid bike. I am fairly competitive so don't want to just finish race so am I better off investing in new wetsuit and bike or would I be ok with equipment I have. I am based in Dublin 4 what club would best suited for a beginner of my age in that neck of the woods.

Any advice greatly appreciated....

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

An ordinary wetsuit not designed specifically for swimming wont be ideal if you want to be competitive. Neither will your hybrid bike. You do see guys doing mid-pack well with poor equipment, but if you want to be at the pointy end (and if your running is anything to go by you should certainly end up there) youll want to upgrade to better more tri specific kit.

Tho I wouldnt rush out and do it straight away, dont make expensive mistakes. Get into the training first, look at what everyone else is using, and only commit to new purchases once you are pretty sure what youre going to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

cycle to work scheme... if you can avail of it you will get a decent road racing bike to start you off in tri's.... you'd pick up a decent tri-specific wetsuit online for around 120 euro, pair of runners, tri racing suit (around 60 euro) and a road bike...thats all you need, you do 1 race and you'll be hooked and may want to upgrade alot of your equipment but that will come in time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Its CYCLE To Work not SWIM to work ya sleeveens!!!!Nearly as bad as the ride on lawn mower /car alloy wheel purchasers!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

That is why I said.......
    Trig1 wrote: »
    cycle to work scheme... if you can avail of it you will get a decent road racing bike to start you off in tri's..n ...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

I've used up my cycle to work. Was thinking training on my current bike and hiring out a proper racing bike. Thanks for advice guys. Prob should join a club and see what others are doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

dekbhoy wrote: »
    I've used up my cycle to work. Was thinking training on my current bike and hiring out a proper racing bike. Thanks for advice guys. Prob should join a club and see what others are doing

Hiring a racing bike from where?......................

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

tunney wrote: »
    Hiring a racing bike from where?......................

I rented a Scott Speedster for a race from 2wheels in Sandymount after my own bikes were stolen. Was fairly reasonable, about 30e for a couple of days, plus it's local to the OP.

Advertisement