Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tobacco Tin Stove

Options
  • 03-01-2013 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Been meaning to put this up for a while. Got the idea off a kid on you tube last year and seeing as I smoke a pipe and have a lot of these tins, sure why not try it out! And it works a charm. Not as handy as a hexi stove, but doesn't need refueling, roughly the same size as a hexi stove and can be used as a big candle too. Essentially, it is a big candle, with card board as the wick material and old candles as the wax. To use, it's as simple as open the lid, position the four nails (or twigs etc), light, use, blow it out, let it cool, lid back on and ready for your backpack. This is the type of tin I'm using
    5E21C5C6-1_zpsea2755f3.jpg
    Which opens up to this
    197132EB.jpg
    Then you cut strips of card board about 1"/25mm wide, making sure the corrigations are runing short ways (perpendicular to the length of cardboard) and start to roll them up, like here
    5A0D2E04.jpg
    Roll them fairly tight but not crushing them, until you have enough to fill the tin
    8AB256D2.jpg
    and here
    104A76F0.jpg
    Then melt your old candles in another container
    AD9CE786.jpg
    and here
    85EABE25.jpg
    D1985BEC.jpg
    Then pour into the cardboard filled tin
    D483DB89.jpg
    topping up with as much as you need to nearly fill the tin
    371EB914.jpg
    In recent tins i've warmed the cardboard tin and topped up with more wax as it soaked into the cardboard. Let it set, or dry, or whatever wax does, and the light it!!
    64A5FBDA.jpg
    I use four nails pushed into the wax/cardboard to hold my billycan up from the tin but i've used skicks, bits of steel etc before to let the candle breathe
    692729F4.jpg
    water on for a brew
    3C8F699A.jpg
    brew made
    3774236E.jpg
    job's a good one (imo)
    ED3A41AE.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Great post.

My Mrs thought I was going mad gathering up all the candle wax over christmas and storing it away in a plastic box.

But there's method in my madness:

http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2012/making-a-tin-can-candle/

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

These are reuseable over and over again. Tried to just let one burn to see how long it would last but the wax started to boil in the tin. That hasn't happened to the one i made last year, which i use most often, so maybe i put to much wax in, i'm not sure. The water boiled in 4-5 mins, enough for 2 cups of tea, and i've done soup, bacon and other food on it aswell. Tried using a tin from a Christmas candle and that works a charm too. Deeper but less surface area ot was handier to suspend the billy over it then try to balance it on top.
    Oh, DON'T use scented candles. Least ways, the ones i had weren't really wax and didn't turn out so well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Great post lad, gonna tey my hand at one or 2 of these over the weekend for myself and my hikin buddies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

That is neat, I have a load of hollowed out church candles here after the holidays, great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

That is amazing. Cheap, ingenious, diy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

that is so clever!

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

The Photos are great and its a simple thing to make. But here is a video to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJy-AMJAJw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

The tin is great but I have to say I'm more interested in the Pot Belly stove thats in some of the pics :)

Anyone got a tin they would like to donate? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

as soon as i have another one of these empty, I'll give you a shout

[IMG][/img]imag0493b.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

Never thought of a dax tin! fair play. Game on * starts rifling through brothers press *

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

aaakev wrote: »
    Anyone got a tin they would like to donate? :)

Those tins of 'Travel Sweets' you can get in Lidl's (near the jam, usually) are plenty big enough. Only cost about €1.25 I think

Dawn Rider wrote: »

Those tins of 'Travel Sweets' you can get in Lidl's (near the jam, usually) are plenty big enough. Only cost about €1.25 I think
    Perfect! Cheers lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

I always keep a few tins of them in the survival rations boxes. Only problem with them is once open the lids don't seal very firmly, but a layer of thin plastic (cling film) or tin foil over the open tin before the lid goes on keeps it on much more tightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Thats what I made mine out of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Made two today. Gonna bring them to the scouts on Thursday - they're doing backwoods as part of programme this week so it'll be something new for them. Used the Lidl sweet tins and as I don't have a load of candles lying around I bought a pack of ten in Lidl for €2. Used 6.5 of them for the two candles so enough left to make a third.

Advertisement