Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Triathlon

Options
  • 03-01-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi there,

I am hoping to do a sprint triathlon for the first time this year and was hoping for suggestions of a good one to do was thinking the Valencia Island one in May? I would also appreciate any training tips. How long should I give myself to train? I am not the fittest person by any means.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Welcome to triathlon.

Start training now, no point hanging around. Five months should be more than enough. I think I gave myself 8 weeks from couch to my first tri, but I could already swim.

What's your goal? Do you have a time in mind or do you just want to finish in one piece? How much time can you commit to each week?

There are plenty of free training programs around but I can't say I've followed any of them myself. Others here will have better advice but have a look at these for a jumping off point.

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Ron/training%20for%20your%20first.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pinkie086

Am going for my first run tonight! How did you train all together or did you break it up into sections?

My aim was to try and run three mornings a week and swim three evenings. I am hoping to start cycling to work which should cover me for that side of the training and might start doing some spin classes in the meantime!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

pinkie086 wrote: »
    Am going for my first run tonight! How did you train all together or did you break it up into sections?

My aim was to try and run three mornings a week and swim three evenings. I am hoping to start cycling to work which should cover me for that side of the training and might start doing some spin classes in the meantime!

Commuting by bike is a great way to get some distance covered but try to get a decent session in each week as it can be hard to go flat out in rush hour traffic. Hit the hills too.

For my first race I just alternated between swim bike and run and try to do two sessions of each every week.

Brick sessions are important too, running off the bike is different to regular running.

I'm only now trying to get back into more structured triathlon training after doing a lot of running and duathlons the last couple of years so I'm probably not the best guide.

I've recently started training with a club and realised just how unstructured my training was, particularly my swim sessions. Do any clubs train near you?

I am not sure if there are any clubs nearby will look into it. Was always a bit nervous of joining a club as I am not very fit at all but i guess it is the best way to get there!

Thanks a mill for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

That would probably cover your training!
    I am not sure if there are any clubs nearby will look into it. Was always a bit nervous of joining a club as I am not very fit at all but i guess it is the best way to get there!

Thanks a mill for your help!

Some clubs are more for beginners than others. Some are almost entirely beginners. Where do you live?

• Advertisement

Clondalkin, not sure if there are any nearby there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Pulse!

Pulse!

Would have to say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Sorry to jump in but I am looking at clubs as a complete newbie also. Pulse looks good but swim session based in Ringsend is prob too far for me (I'm north county Dub) and that would be my main focus.

Considering Fingal or Piranha so any opinions on either?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Pulse!

I'd say join Pulse as well. They'll take anyone, even people who fall off their bike every time they try to cycle :rolleyes:

Best of luck with it. You won't regret it, until you realise you've spent all your money on a new bike/wetsuit/gimmick!!

• Advertisement

Sorry to jump in but I am looking at clubs as a complete newbie also. Pulse looks good but swim session based in Ringsend is prob too far for me (I'm north county Dub) and that would be my main focus.

Cheers

How about 3D??

BTH wrote: »
    How about 3D??

I hadn't heard of them - off to google them now, tks. See I'm learning here already :D

I hadn't heard of them - off to google them now, tks. See I'm learning here already :D

I'll give you a hand www.3dtri.com

We only work in kms though :D

Cheers

Well one club did a deal with the devil, the other didn't...........

BTH wrote: »
    I'll give you a hand www.3dtri.com

We only work in kms though :D

Ah thanks, I bike in Kms...does that count :)

Quick question on them - they charge extra for swim sessions (€77+). Is this normal for clubs to do this. I would have thought this would be included in membership or is that very naive!
    tunney wrote: »
    Well one club did a deal with the devil, the other didn't...........

Understood!

Jumping topics and another novice question...my first tri. I had looked at doing a sprint triathlon in North County Dublin in June as my first tri. Are there other alternates I could look at in case timing is not right.

Jumping topics and another novice question...my first tri. I had looked at doing a sprint triathlon in North County Dublin in June as my first tri. Are there other alternates I could look at in case timing is not right.

I knew having a woolly no-fly list policy would lead to fun...........

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ah thanks, I bike in Kms...does that count :)

Quick question on them - they charge extra for swim sessions (€77+). Is this normal for clubs to do this. I would have thought this would be included in membership or is that very naive!
    Normal practice. Pool and coach hire costs, and not everyone in the club would do the sessions, so you cant make everyone pay. Ours cost 70 for 12 weeks, subsidised.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Some clubs are more for beginners than others. Some are almost entirely beginners.

Ha ha ha I guess you mean Piranha. Suckers..

A bit tongue in cheek alright :) But actually it was a genuine question...I was aiming for for that tri but it looks as if holidays will clash. So my options seem to be Joey Hannon or TriAthy, am I missing any in that end of april/May/start of June range?
    Oryx wrote: »
    Normal practice. Pool and coach hire costs, and not everyone in the club would do the sessions, so you cant make everyone pay. Ours cost 70 for 12 weeks, subsidised.

Thanks Oryx. That makes sense but I guess it's working out more expensive than I would have thought between membership, licence and session fee - I guess I am comparing it to a running club.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I had looked at doing a sprint triathlon in North County Dublin in June as my first tri. Are there other alternates I could look at in case timing is not right.

Athy(South Kildare) is quiet a nice easy race. Majority of the swim is with the rivers current for the sprint.

Roads are flat and rolling for the cycle and run is a mix of footpath a walking path a long by a river.

Its on June bank holiday weekend has been a great race/day for the last 3 years.

I would say its very beginner friendly race with nice athmosphere.

• Advertisement

Briando wrote: »
    Athy(South Kildare) is quiet a nice easy race. Majority of the swim is with the rivers current for the sprint.

Roads are flat and rolling for the cycle and run is a mix of footpath a walking path a long by a river.

Its on June bank holiday weekend has been a great race/day for the last 3 years.

I would say its very beginner friendly race with nice athmosphere.

Great thanks for the info on that. Seems to be a good one to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Come to Nenagh for the North Tipp Sprint! Its pool based so great for a first triathlon. You could stay with me banner :) Its on 20th April, was my first one too

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ooh Criky

Clondalkin, not sure if there are any nearby there.
    I'm based in Clondalkin and with Pulse, Come along to one of the Cycle/run sessions and see what you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its ok. Quit stirring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Would you prefer a pool or OW based Tri? I found the Portlaois triathlon to be well organised and beginner friendly last year. Its a bit early though. Joey Hannon sprint is also a good option and beginner friendly. If waiting until June, then OW it will be! I count at least 14 sprint choices in June alone!

Would you prefer a pool or OW based Tri? I found the Portlaois triathlon to be well organised and beginner friendly last year. Its a bit early though. Joey Hannon sprint is also a good option and beginner friendly. If waiting until June, then OW it will be! I count at least 14 sprint choices in June alone!

I tried accessing that events list but it gives me a permissions error. Do you need gmail details?

It probably makes sense to start with a pool tri but they are all a wee bit early. I'd be worried about my swimming but I guess I have 15 odd weeks. Pride would be left at home so I realise I may be last! i do want an OW one in June that is beginner friendly and I think Athy is the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Swim Athy takes place the week before triathy. I found it invaluable last year before doing my first sprint there the following week. It's more a fun swim than a competive race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

I tried accessing that events list but it gives me a permissions error. Do you need gmail details?

It probably makes sense to start with a pool tri but they are all a wee bit early. I'd be worried about my swimming but I guess I have 15 odd weeks. Pride would be left at home so I realise I may be last! i do want an OW one in June that is beginner friendly and I think Athy is the one!

heres a list from TriathlonIreland.com that might help you decide...

https://www.triathlonireland-newserver.com/local-races.html

Trig1 wrote: »
    heres a list from TriathlonIreland.com that might help you decide...

https://www.triathlonireland-newserver.com/local-races.html

It did indeed :). Thanks to everyone for their advice. Picked my events and have contacted a couple of clubs to see if I can do some trial sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I'm in a similar spot. Down in Cork and looking to do my first Triathlon this year. Was thinking of the Escape from Spike which is August 6th. Maybe I should aim for something sooner. Can't really join a club with a smally at home and another one coming in March (well the wife does),
    At the mo I'm just doing 5k a week on the local track at lunch and doing two sessions of light weights a week. Hoping to get back into cycling to work by the end of the month with will add 100k a week in cycling and will up the running to 20k a week. I'm a good swimmer so was thinking of getting back into that around March when the general fitness is up. Problem is time, anyone recommend a beginner friendly triathlon in Munster in the early summer? I don't even know stuff like, what to bring on a triathlon, where do you stash your gear, do you need a licence to cover insurance..
    Time to start googling stuff and have a look at youtube.

Advertisement