Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary Nursing/Medicine

Options
  • 02-01-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi I have already completed my leaving cert just last year and I am currently in univeristy but Im not enjoying my course as much as i thought. I've always wanted to do veterinary but was never smart enough to get the points to get veterinary Med and whenever i siad about veterinary nursing people would say it was a waste of time because there's no jobs in it etc.

Anyways Ive decided that I really do want to do veterinary. Does anyone know to get or apply to go to budapest straight away? Or even how to apply for the exam for vet med? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

To be honest I think hard work is worth so much more than being smart in order to get the points required. Im sure if you put your mind to it you could get them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EzB

I'm a vet student and we are taught about the importance of veterinary nurses and trust me they are needed. For example if your out on a farm and need assistance you can't ask the farmer to help because if they sustain an injury we are liable to be sued so we get the vet nurses. The best practices I know have outstanding veterinary nurses and are better run! It is a very tough job and some people have trouble with Vet-vet nurse relations and they don't get treated very well just like hospital doctors and nurses, but the head zoo keeper in Dublin zoo is a vet nurse not a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EzB

dtfo wrote: »
    To be honest I think hard work is worth so much more than being smart in order to get the points required. Im sure if you put your mind to it you could get them :)
    you need to be very smart and very motivated.... medicine for every species?? you need to be smart trust me! there is only a certain amount of work one person can do and you wont have the time to keep going over things we learn one thing one day and thats it you dont have the time to revise it, you move on to the next species and the next. It's easy to say work hard, but if you are not capable of doing something and burn yourself out trying to get into something you eventually cope with its gonna be a disaster. If you can be motivated but balanced and achieve those points you are suitable but i have friends who did nothing but study study study for the leaving cert to get high points got into the elite courses and couldnt keep up and had to drop out because college unlike the LC moves sooo much faster and you dont have the time to revise revise revise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

EzB wrote: »
    you need to be very smart and very motivated.... medicine for every species?? you need to be smart trust me! there is only a certain amount of work one person can do and you wont have the time to keep going over things we learn one thing one day and thats it you dont have the time to revise it, you move on to the next species and the next. It's easy to say work hard, but if you are not capable of doing something and burn yourself out trying to get into something you eventually cope with its gonna be a disaster. If you can be motivated but balanced and achieve those points you are suitable but i have friends who did nothing but study study study for the leaving cert to get high points got into the elite courses and couldnt keep up and had to drop out because college unlike the LC moves sooo much faster and you dont have the time to revise revise revise

"Elite courses" are no harder than other courses.
    I believe all courses now have the same amount of units/difficulty.

For instance Dentistry or Vet Med is no harder than Civil Engineering, it just has fewer places which drives up points.

Anyone who qualifies for a course should be able to be taught how to pass.

Occasionally, pupils who get high points think they know it all and do not need to continue working hard at University and then struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Anyone who can get upwards of 480ish points will have no problem in vet med, you certainly do not need to have 585 points to be any good. Motivation is key, being super brainy is not a requirement, just hard work..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

borrch wrote: »
    Anyone who can get upwards of 480ish points will have no problem in vet med, you certainly do not need to have 585 points to be any good. Motivation is key, being super brainy is not a requirement, just hard work..!

I cant say I agree entirely with this. I got 600 points first time in the leaving and really struggled through Vet as did many of my classmates all of whom are extremely bright and hard working.A brother of mine is doing primary teaching in Mary I and really there is no comparison between the courses in terms of volume of material and the amount of study required.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Anthony16 wrote: »
    I cant say I agree entirely with this. I got 600 points first time in the leaving and really struggled through Vet as did many of my classmates all of whom are extremely bright and hard working.A brother of mine is doing primary teaching in Mary I and really there is no comparison between the courses in terms of volume of material and the amount of study required.

I understand what your saying but I don't truly believe this is down to how intelligent you are. Vet med is a hard course, most people find if tough. I do think people need to be smart but not super smart.

A lot of it is down to adjusting to the college system compared to leaving cert system i believe, as a good few vets told me before that they found the first few years a lot tougher because they were still trying to learn everything like it was the leaving cert... it's just my two cents

Obviously there's a huge difference in workload & difficulty level etc with vet med compared to teaching. I didn't mean for second that vet med is easy, it isn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

At the end of the day the really sharp guys are not doing vet,medicine,dentistry.In my opinion the smartest guys are in courses like actuary,physics,engineering. Also how many doctors or vets do we see on Forbes rich list?The answer is none.Some people are just not suited to studying but have great ideas.Like Philip Marley who made 20 million from the idea of student accommodation.Larry goodman who left school at 15 and made 700 million.

Advertisement