Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Maternity pay??!

Options
  • 02-01-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    I've recently moved back to Ireland after working in the UK for 3 years. I am working for the HSE with an agency, but am on a panel for a permanent job when the ban is lifted, but who knows when that will be! My agency won't pay maternity leave, and because I havnt paid PRSI for the last 3 years I don't think I will be entitled any maternity pay? It seems crazy! My husband is currently unemployed and not claiming any benefits. HELP!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Your query might be better off on the social benefits board rather than here.
    As far as I know your maternity benefit payment is calculated on the amount of tax you paid 2 years previously. If you just moved here in the last month or two, you won't have much tax paid.

Your agency or employer is not required to pay anything, many do not.

It is probably time your husband started claiming something if he can. You may have to go back to work as quickly as you can after the birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

When are you due? I also moved back to Ireland after living away but will hopefully we eligible for the state maternity pay. If you have worked 39 weeks in the 12 months prior to your due date than you are entitled. I spoke to the maternity benefit office about it and they were very helpful. I recommend you give them a call to discuss your situation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Omck wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've recently moved back to Ireland after working in the UK for 3 years. I am working for the HSE with an agency, but am on a panel for a permanent job when the ban is lifted, but who knows when that will be! My agency won't pay maternity leave, and because I havnt paid PRSI for the last 3 years I don't think I will be entitled any maternity pay? It seems crazy! My husband is currently unemployed and not claiming any benefits. HELP!

I *think* that the NI you paid in the UK applies when being considered for benefits here due to our taxation agreement with the UK

Yep found it here
    Insurance from employment in another country

If you were previously insurably employed in a country covered by EU Regulations or in a country with which Ireland has a Bilateral Social Security Agreement and you have paid at least one full rate PRSI contribution in Ireland, you may combine your insurance record in that country with your Irish PRSI contributions to help you qualify for Maternity Benefit. You must have paid at least one full-rate PRSI contribution in Ireland within 16 weeks of the end of the week in which your baby is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Omck

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    When are you due? I also moved back to Ireland after living away but will hopefully we eligible for the state maternity pay. If you have worked 39 weeks in the 12 months prior to your due date than you are entitled. I spoke to the maternity benefit office about it and they were very helpful. I recommend you give them a call to discuss your situation.

I'm not actually 100% sure if I am pregnant, too early to check but it's possible. I have been working since July so would have 12 months paid. Will contact the social when I know if I am expecting!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Omck

I'm not actually 100% sure if I am pregnant, too early to check but it's possible. I have been working since July so would have 12 months paid. Will contact the social when I know if I am expecting!
    Thanks!
    ** meant I would have 12 months paid by the time I would be due!

• Advertisement

Thanks!

Great - sounds like you will be fine. If I work to 38 weeks than I'll have done 39 weeks so will get it - if I go early I get nothing!! Sounds like you may not be in too bad a situation. Take a look at the citizen's advice bureau page as well on maternity benefit - there's 3/4 ways to be eligible, the working 39 weeks is one of them. The info there is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

hiya im kind of in the same situation. 2 years ago i was in college and didnt have a job so never paid prsi 2 years ago. I started working jan'12 but got let go in july'12 but got a new job in october and im due in march. I dont know what to do if i dont get maternity benefit. Any advice would be very grateful
    thank you

annettea wrote: »
    hiya im kind of in the same situation. 2 years ago i was in college and didnt have a job so never paid prsi 2 years ago. I started working jan'12 but got let go in july'12 but got a new job in october and im due in march. I dont know what to do if i dont get maternity benefit. Any advice would be very grateful
    thank you

How many weeks will you have been employed and paid from your due date in Mar 12 to your due date in Mar 13? You need to work that out, if it's 39 weeks or more you'll be ok, otherwise not sure you'll get the benefit.

Again, it would really be best to call the maternity benefit people, they're very helpful.

Advertisement