Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just read a book with some similarities to the story I'm working on

Options
  • 02-01-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

O.K, so I'm writing a story/novel whatever you want to call it and I'm also reading books in the process. I have just gotten to the near end of the book I'm reading which is 'Divergent'. Basically, in my story, eventually my main character will have to fight her family/town in a war. In the book I'm reading, the same happens. I have not stolen the idea, that is not what upsets me.
    Should i continue with my story? Even though it seems as though I have stolen a bit from another book? I am slightly disheartened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

There are no new plots. There are no new ideas. Everything you could possibly have thought about putting into a book, someone else has got there first. That doesn't mean you can't do it, just that you have to do it in a way that is fresh and original.

Don't worry about the stealing ideas things, concentrate on writing a great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Still, there's nothing as soul crushing as putting the time and effort into crafting a story as well as you can and then being told by multiple readers that you're clearly ripping off <x>, even if you'd never read/seen <x> before.

Happened to me twice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

EileenG wrote: »
    There are no new plots. There are no new ideas. Everything you could possibly have thought about putting into a book, someone else has got there first. That doesn't mean you can't do it, just that you have to do it in a way that is fresh and original.

Don't worry about the stealing ideas things, concentrate on writing a great story.
    Yeah I see your point. Thanks for your answer, and ill continue on with my novel..thing! Haha thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

Antilles wrote: »
    Still, there's nothing as soul crushing as putting the time and effort into crafting a story as well as you can and then being told by multiple readers that you're clearly ripping off <x>, even if you'd never read/seen <x> before.

Happened to me twice :(
    I know! You probably won't believe me when I tell u that another part of the book ,I was planning on using! It is beyond crazy!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Even worse is when you come up with some bizarre and intriguing inventions or socio-political events and they come true before you've published your book. Happened me about four times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Even worse is when you come up with some bizarre and intriguing inventions or socio-political events and they come true before you've published your book. Happened me about four times.

Nostradamus has got nothing on you!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

How very Ruby Sparks of you.

Advertisement