Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this spider?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi

Would anyone be able to identify this spider that I found in he house today? Never seen one before. Looks like a widow without the markings?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

Its a false widow. I got a shock when I saw a couple in the shed last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CelticH

Lon.C wrote: »
    Its a false widow. I got a shock when I saw a couple in the shed last summer.

Wow no way. I did some googling and thought maybe that's what it was. Do they have a bite do you know?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

CelticH wrote: »

Wow no way. I did some googling and thought maybe that's what it was. Do they have a bite do you know?

Some species of false widow(steatoda) do have a bite, but it's nowhere near as harmful as a real widow(latrodectus).

The one in your pic looks like a female steatoda bipunctata: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steatoda_bipunctata

Relatively harmless afaik.

Advertisement