Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFH with oil

Options
  • 02-01-2013 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hello.

I am just wondering what are people's views on solid fuel boilers instead of condensing oil boiler.

Our house is 3300sq ft and has UFH. House has full zoning. We are burning between 2500 and 3000ltrs of oil per year. On average we are burning between 14 to 17ltrs per day during the winter months.

I was looking at wood gasification boilers with a 1500ltr or 2000 insulated buffer tank (no coils all to be put in garage. My oil boiler is in garage with the insulated pipe work into the house. I was going to keep oil as a separate system that could be manually switched back if ever needed. I would probably need to buy in timber as the farm doesn't have much timber on it. We could buy 30ton at a time and store it.

Another option is a semi gasification unit which will burn timber (more forgiving with moisture content), coal or turf. Again I would combine this with buffer tank. Same controls are on both units. This however gives the option of using a variety of fuels.

Whichever system I go with it will cost circa 6.5 - 7.5k.

Has anyone any opinions on the above in relation to these boiler being used with UFH. Does anyone have a semi gasification unit. i have read on the boards website about the wood gasification boilers. I would like to get your views on it.

Sorry about the long winded post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

happylad wrote: »
    Hello.

I am just wondering what are people's views on solid fuel boilers instead of condensing oil boiler.

Our house is 3300sq ft and has UFH. House has full zoning. We are burning between 2500 and 3000ltrs of oil per year. On average we are burning between 14 to 17ltrs per day during the winter months.

I was looking at wood gasification boilers with a 1500ltr or 2000 insulated buffer tank (no coils all to be put in garage. My oil boiler is in garage with the insulated pipe work into the house. I was going to keep oil as a separate system that could be manually switched back if ever needed. I would probably need to buy in timber as the farm doesn't have much timber on it. We could buy 30ton at a time and store it.

Another option is a semi gasification unit which will burn timber (more forgiving with moisture content), coal or turf. Again I would combine this with buffer tank. Same controls are on both units. This however gives the option of using a variety of fuels.

Whichever system I go with it will cost circa 6.5 - 7.5k.

Has anyone any opinions on the above in relation to these boiler being used with UFH. Does anyone have a semi gasification unit. i have read on the boards website about the wood gasification boilers. I would like to get your views on it.

Sorry about the long winded post
    I would reccomend the wood gasification and the large insulated buffer tank. They are a great system if you can get the right quality wood at the right price.

But a few provisions ........... try and get a plumber that is familiar with them and also the manufacturer will have a reccomended setup , what size buffer and what controls to use with it.
    A good installation insuring all pipework is well insulated will make a good difference.

Do the research on what wood gasification boiler to go with, there is an Italian brand that produces some and i wouldnt touch off them personally.

The heating and plumbing forum would be a good place to post this.

Advertisement