Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Music?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I'm studying Music for the LC now and I am really bloody lost! I'm studying it outside school as well, so we're not getting the same amount of class-time in as you normally would.

The problem is that I just don't know how to study it. I can't figure out a system like I have for my other subjects.

Don't know how to study these set-works in their entirety, don't know what to do about the Irish Music essays... I'm screwed, to make a long story short.

Really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sophiiieee

I did leaving cert music last year, i have put all my notes up on my blog if you want to look at them they might be some help, which group of set works is on the course this year? i did bach, queen, barry, tck? or is it the other set this year? if it is i still have notes on irish tradittional music and sample essays for it up so hopefully it will be of some help :)http://leaving-cert-helpnotes.blogspot.ie/ any questions you have about it just ask and i'll be happy to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

I'm doing music now for the Leaving and although I find it helps when you play an instrument, especially piano, it can still be daunting. Make sure you're familiar with the basics, like names of notes in both treble and bass clefs, key signatures and chords, and be able to write out major scales, melodic minor and harmonic minor scales in different keys, recognise key signatures, etc. You'd be surprised at how many in my class don't know that stuff.
    As for set works, take it section by section, and listen to it over and over, both with the notes and without. Put them on your iPod and really familiarise yourself with them, try to get to know them like you'd know any song. And of course, practise exam papers as much as possible.
    With Irish music, again know the basics like different time signatures for different dances, know trad features and be able to recognise instruments, and name a famous player for each. For the Irish music essay, know the influence of Irish music in America, a composer and/or group who fuses trad with another genre, like Bill Whelan or the Horslips, and the harping tradition. Bear in mind that it is only 10 marks, not a whole lot really when the paper is only 50% of the entire exam.
    For the composing part, I don't know if your teacher taught you a particular strategy for tackling these, like writing out 4 variations of each bar in the first line, and then me fa fe soh for a sequence in the third line (major key only). If you were taught a strategy like that, or another one, then just make sure you know that, and then your basics, and you'll be flying :D

I'm not sure if this was of any help, but PM me if you're stuck on anything in particular and I'll try help! Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spouch

crypto136 wrote: »
    So I'm studying Music for the LC now and I am really bloody lost! I'm studying it outside school as well, so we're not getting the same amount of class-time in as you normally would.

The problem is that I just don't know how to study it. I can't figure out a system like I have for my other subjects.

Don't know how to study these set-works in their entirety, don't know what to do about the Irish Music essays... I'm screwed, to make a long story short.

Really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.
    Cheers!

I did it a couple of years ago and found Darablack.com at the last minute And wish I knew about it all along! Makes everything really clear and the notes are worth getting from there too.

Advertisement