Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Age to start Guitar?

• 02-01-2013 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

My 7 year old is constantly at me to get her a guitar. I have reservations about her young age, applying herself, but also the I think the finger soreness might put her off.

Has anyone any suggestions? Is she too young? Would a small classical guitar be any better? Any good recommendations for teaching kids guitar? I play, but I am self taught and I'd hate her to pick up my habbits!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Seven is a great age to start, ukelele is worth considering it's more accessible to the beginner IMO and naturally lends itself to development into learning guitar, TBH I find general music appreciation lessons more useful to introduce kids to music making and creativity were you can mix mediums such as painting/drawing/singing/dancing with music making in which case it will be your own enthusiasm for music that you will pass on, at seven years learning music like most things should be fun, interesting and age appropriate. Not to mention it's great craic galloping round the house pretending your wild horse's teaching your kid triplets. Do you have any specific queries regarding technique/posture etc. that your concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Thanks for the reply Shakti. No real queries as such. I am mostly concerned with keeping her interested (but you make some good suggestions!) as I know from personal experience that practicing scales isn't most peoples idea of fun! I am also a little worried (again from personal experience) that the initial finger soreness might put her off - but there isn't a lot we can do about that.

She loves music, always wants it on in the house, car, bedroom etc and seems very keen. Maybe a ukulele is the way to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

I've had only positive experiences teaching uke and it's a bit easier on the fingers but make do with what you have even if it's only a bean can full of dried peas, I find teaching scales indirectly to be effective with beginners ie. simple melodies which they already know well to sing or hum you'll know which ones suit best wether it's 'twinkle twinkle' or 'Doe a dear' or whatever is big on the radio etc. to begin with if you keep them major and limit to a single key learning scales will have a lot more meaning when you introduce them down the line, watch out for the furrowed brow/hunched shoulders etc. as an indicator of unwanted tension. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much teaching your child music can improve and expand your own playing and enjoyment of music as well as your student, oh and good for you it's a great gift to give so well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrECameraman

I personally think that a 3/4 scale guitar might be the way to go. I've seen a number of people (admittedly adults), be put off by the extra strings. Plus sound wise they're completely different. Also, I'd strongly recommend getting a guitar that suits her musical tastes. If you find she likes rock music, go with electric. If she likes more acoustic stuff, then an acoustic. I've seen so many kids come to me for lessons with an acoustic their parents bought them, and when you ask them what they want to play they tell you linkin park/green day.

Just my €0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

All good suggestions so far. I'd just like to add my 2c worth.

I'd advise getting the instrument she wants, not what you think she might like. Also one that suits her musical tastes, as has been stated already. The suggestion of a 3/4 scale guitar is a good one.

If you want to teach her yourself, but are afraid of teaching bad habits etc., then perhaps you could buy a beginner's tutorial book and go through it with her, step by step. You might pick up a few tips yourself in the process. ;)

Sore fingers basically go with the territory, but can be kept to a minimum if the playing time is increased gradually. Start with say 10-15 minutes at a time for the first few lessons. Then up the time to twenty minutes. This way, the skin has time to harden without the dreaded blisters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

As a teacher myself I tend to say 7 is too young.....though that doesn't go for all kids.. I had one young lad seat when he turned 8 and he flew along.

I usually think 10 is a good starting age.

Reasons being that younger kids don't have the attention span for learning and they don't practice the amount they need to .

The sore fingers can also be a huge brick wall for some kids.

Just my 2 c

Advertisement