Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese tablets

Options
  • 02-01-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Ive been looking for a few tablets, i need 4 of varying sizes, and it seems value for money is to go with one of the Chinese manufacturers.

I am wondering if there are any of the brands outstanding for performance and quality as well as value for money.

are there major differences in quality between one Chinese brand and the next? are there dominant makes like with the more 'western' sold brands like samsung vs apple?
    who are the major players and who are the dodgy companies to avoid?

are there any recommended retailers or do i need to go to the source?

I recently got a novo crystal 7 and it seems ok, seller was pretty good but they only have 7 inch tablets. (i am looking for 2 10 inch and 2 8 inch.)

If anyone has extensive experience with a variety of Chinese manufacturers then id love to hear your opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gadget.Repair

Ive been looking for a few tablets, i need 4 of varying sizes, and it seems value for money is to go with one of the Chinese manufacturers.

I am wondering if there are any of the brands outstanding for performance and quality as well as value for money.

are there major differences in quality between one Chinese brand and the next? are there dominant makes like with the more 'western' sold brands like samsung vs apple?
    who are the major players and who are the dodgy companies to avoid?

are there any recommended retailers or do i need to go to the source?

I recently got a novo crystal 7 and it seems ok, seller was pretty good but they only have 7 inch tablets. (i am looking for 2 10 inch and 2 8 inch.)

If anyone has extensive experience with a variety of Chinese manufacturers then id love to hear your opinions.

For the money there great value but there no Samsung tab or iPad.
    First thing is there isn't any replacement parts but For the money it's prob cheaper to replace with new
    Also the build quality is poor and they tend to break especially at the charging port either by misuse or using the tablet while on charge. If there for kids I'd make sure they don't use them while there charging

Also it can be very hard to get a case so the problem above can happen a lot easier
    eBay is prob best place to start but I have no idea about makes models as I don't recommend buying them to my customers

On another note I saw in Harvey Normans there selling a small tablet for €78 a bargain if your looking to get a small tablet for little money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

any outstanding brands?

I think ramos, cube and ainol seem to be the better brands. would that be correct?

know of any others? i only have experience with ainol, any knowledge of how the others stack up in comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Ployer seem to have a few nice tablets out at the moment. I picked up a momo7 ips over Christmas and it's fairly amazing for what I paid.

Does have charging issues though. Can't leave it plugged in or it will overcharge.

battery life, android upgrade support, power, screen quality are the main issues.

it's worth spending 200 euro on the Asus Nexus 7 tablet imo. it's a quality piece of hardware and will get ongoing android updates automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Im after 2 10" tabs and 2 8/9" tabs,
    one of the 10" is for me, the other are gifts for relatives. Im probably leaning towards the samsung tab 2 10" for my self but they are getting cheap Chinese knockoffs! just not ****ty Chinese knock offs cos ill never hear the end of it ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

It's a bit of a lottery buying Chinese Tabs.

I bought two in recent months for the kids. I will give you some feedback on my experiences and it might help you make a decision.

The first is a 9.7" Cube U20GT which I got in October, it's a very nice tablet with a great screen which is Gorilla glass, I have never updated the firmware from the ICS version it came with, the wifi is great, battery life is great the only issue I have had is that the charger died after about a week. It seems that Cube don't supply a charger with their tablets so it's up to the seller to add it to the box and I obviously got a duff one. Different sellers supply different chargers so you never know your luck.

I would have no problem in buying another U20GT myself.

Just before Christmas I ordered a 7" Ployer Momo7 but after a week the seller told me they couldn't get stock in time for Christmas so I changed to a 7" Yuandao N70S and got some of my money back.

But what I received was a 9.7" Yuandao N90S.

First thing is that the S models don't have an IPS screen and the viewing angles on the 90S are terrible if you are looking at a video full screen then there is often dark clouding in some areas to the edge of the screen if you are not holding the tablet at the "perfect" angle.

So first thing I would say to you is get a tablet with an IPS screen.

The other issue with the Yuandao 90S is that the wifi is terrible. I am now aware that there are wifi issues with many tablets running Jellybean 4.1 which happens to be the only firmware currently available for the 90S.

This isn't an issue with ICS (Android 4.0) and I am told it is fixed in Jellybean 4.2 so I am hoping that Yuandao will release 4.2 firmware soon as currently the tablet can only be used for wifi if it is in the same room as the router.

I'd install ICS on it if there was a build available but there doesn't appear to be as this model was launched with JB 4.1.

The 90S also has an aluminium back cover rather than a plastic one like most other tablets, I don't know for sure but I would guess that the aluminium cover doesn't help with the wifi issue.

So my advise would be to choose a tablet which has firmware other than JB 4.1 available for it so that even if it comes installed with 4.1 you can either roll back to ICS or update to 4.2 if you have wifi issues which seem to be extremely common in 4.1.

Both the U20GT and the 90S have dual core Rockchip RK3066 processors. This processor benchmarks very well and both tablets are very snappy and don't suffer any lag.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement