Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Practising Catholics and the next census

Options
  • 02-01-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭

Recent events have made it apparent that while filling out the next census form make sure NOT tick the catholic box if you are not a a practising catholic. That means if you do not pray or go to mass DO NOT mark yourself catholic. Many people just tick it because they were baptised and never filled in the form to leave!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Ok boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Jedi for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

and never filled in the form to leave!

i thought they changed it so that you can never leave? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i thought they changed it so that you can never leave? :confused:
    exactly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Don't tell me what to do OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Recent events have made it apparent that while filling out the next census form make sure NOT tick the catholic box if you are not a a practising catholic. That means if you do not pray or go to mass DO NOT mark yourself catholic. Many people just tick it because they were baptised and never filled in the form to leave!

Can't do that anymore I'm afraid, changed canon law so you can't opt out of being a Catholic aside from joining another religion or being excommunicated, truly is a rotten organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I suggest they put in a "cultural Catholic" option!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

What recent events are you talking about?

Btw, I am one of those people, I am a non practising catholic, and in the next census, I'll tick catholic again, as I have done on every census I have filled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Tis my money father, I just didn't want to fill out the forms!

krudler wrote: »
    Can't do that anymore I'm afraid, changed canon law so you can't opt out of being a Catholic aside from joining another religion or being excommunicated, truly is a rotten organisation.
    The only place it counts is the census...people say "we're a catholic country" and use the census as proof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

The only place it counts is the census...people say "we're a catholic country" and use the census as proof.

but what if you are like me and married to a catholic man, he goes to mass and all!

im ticking the box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Everybody was up in arms in AH about it during the last census (last year?) and it still turned out to be a huge catholic majority, I dont think it even dropped much but it would be nice to see a drop during the next census

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Anyone wrote: »

Btw, I am one of those people, I am a non practising catholic, and in the next census, I'll tick catholic again, as I have done on every census I have filled out.

Why would you tick catholic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Genuine question - if you are 'non practising' how can you be a Catholic?

That's like me saying I am a violinist when I haven't picked up a fiddle in over 20 years :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

But we are a catholic country:confused:

Sure bob geldof's occupation is still "musician"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

How about having no option to tick a religion for children under a certain age?

Babies are born free of religious indoctrination after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Bannasidhe wrote: »

That's like me saying I am a violinist when I haven't picked up a fiddle in over 20 years :confused:

Or I can speak Irish because I can say "Dia something"...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Because that's what he has always done:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭Grass between the tracks

Of what business is this for the OP?

• Advertisement

Everybody was up in arms in AH about it during the last census (last year?) and it still turned out to be a huge catholic majority, I dont think it even dropped much but it would be nice to see a drop during the next census

A lot of people on Boards seem to think that Boards users are a fair refelction of irish society, most polls on national votable subjects show that to be very very wrong.

Because I'm Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They'd be better off abolishing the question altogether because it's meaningless for the statistical purpose that it's intended.

A far more accurate measure would be to require religious institutions to carry out a headcount on a weekly basis and provide the figures to the CSO on a yearly basis. This will give a reasonable figure for the numbers in the various religious organisations and everyone esle then can be slotted into the "no religion" category.

Since the purpose of the data is for providing amenities and directing funding, then the only thing that's relevant is the number of people who attend religious services. What you actually believe or don't believe is irrelevant.

Of what business is this for the OP?
    there's no harm in raising awareness about filling in official forms properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

But it's not really.

Being born/baptised into a faith that you'll always remain in unless you're excommunicated from, or choose to opt out of (by converting to a different faith) can hardly be comparable to having learnt how to play a particular instrument?

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but that's the reality of it.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    and his father before him...and his father......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

it would be nice to see a drop during the next census

Why?

Sure bob geldof's occupation is still "musician"
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    and his father before him...and his father......

And the ridicule of someone with different beliefs begins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭Grass between the tracks

I has my certificate of defection here on my wall. That is good enough for me.
    The church of Rome knows my position.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why not? They're both simply choices.

What else is faith but a choice to disregard a lack of evidence and believe something because you want to?

Though, you may have a point, learning a musical instrument is a serious business :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

krudler wrote: »

To opt out text "stop" to 3325-463

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement