Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More charges on the M50

Options
  • 02-01-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

I heard from a very reliable source there will now be a toll just for using the M50.

There will be the same setup as the current toll but on every enterance and exit of the M50.
    So, if you are only going from say cherrywood to carrickmines (one stop and about 2 miles) you will be charged for using the M50.

Personally I think this is a terrible idea as it will encourage people not to use this motorway and have traffic built up all over the normal routes again while there will be an empty road from Bray to the Airport!

Haven't we been screwed enough?
    What do yee all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

This has been mooted since the barriers came down. If done on a fair basis, no one should have an issue, as up to now it had been relatively unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

There should of course be a charge for using any part of it, but it should be incremental. Further you go, the more you pay (to current maximum rates).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

If it was going to be "fair" then there wouldn't be a toll on the M50 at all.

I bet that within three years the cost to drive the full length of the M50 from Carrickmines to the airport will be more than €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Looks like a gold era to setup motorbike business in Dublin is coming. There are some good deals out there east from Ireland (Belgium, Holland, Germany, etc.)

If there will be more tolls on m50 - I'll be one of first to buy a scooter, or motorbike to drive it through city centre on my way to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

mackeire wrote: »
    I heard from a very reliable source there will now be a toll just for using the M50.

What source? Link?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

How is it fair now?

You don't get charged for usage, you just pay when you go half way. People who live in Clarehall and work in Blanch pay nothing but if you live in Cabra and work in Clondalkin you pay €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Sauve wrote: »

What source? Link?
    No link but I know the person who got the contract for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

No I don't think this is happening now. Leo Varadkar (our esteemed transport minister) had a proposal to do this but apparently its not being proceeded with now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

How is it fair now?

You don't get charged for usage, you just pay when you go half way. People who live in Clarehall and work in Blanch pay nothing but if you live in Cabra and work in Clondalkin you pay €3.

Exactly, everyone should pay or nobody should pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

larchill wrote: »
    No I don't think this is happening now. Leo Varadkar (our esteemed transport minister) had a proposal to do this but apparently its not being proceeded with now.

He also said that this would not happen during this Government's term. But he's a politician so a u-turn wouldn't be totally unsurprising.

However as for the poster who said he knows someone who got the contract for this, under EU procurement laws, a contract like this would have had to have been advertised and it can't be awarded to someone or some company without an open and public tender process so we would have heard about it if it did go to tender.

And the current toll is not for using the section of the M50 between the N3 and N4, it is a toll for using the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

What sort of capital city has a bloody toll on its ringroad? They're stifling business in Ireland by doing stupid things like this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

hardCopy wrote: »

Exactly, everyone should pay or nobody should pay.

I don't know about that, there are lots of people who have to pay other tolls daily because of where they work or live.

It's absolutely ridiculous charging that kind of money for a small ring road around the capital. Every effort should be made by the government to encourage people to use the road, rather than taxing people off it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Its gas that you believe this type of contract woldn't have to be sent for tender and advertised everywhere.

This type of move would be heavily leaked, then months later a government decision made, than a tender process and then a decision made. All in full view of the press as its a huge story

But maybe I'm wrong, maybe your mate has the contract for it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If a government tender went out and was granted it would all be in the public domain.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I always thought the reason for the toll was to pay for the m50 bridge where the toll was, so it had nothing to do with north or south.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

As it stands it costs me €6 to get from Lucan to Blanch which is a bit ridiculous, so I do think increments would be fairer.

Although I think that since more people would be caught like this then tolls should be reduced all round, it should be maximum €2 each way for m50 trips. They'd make just as much money if not more this way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

phasers wrote: »
    As it stands it costs me €6 to get from Lucan to Blanch which is a bit ridiculous, so I do think increments would be fairer.

Although I think that since more people are going to be caught like this then tolls should be reduced all round, it should be maximum €2 each way for m50 trips. They'll make just as much money if not more this way.

Wouldn't just go through Westmanstown into Clonsilla?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

phasers wrote: »

Would you not just go by Westmanstown? Takes 10 minutes and you don't go near the m50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This thread is going to get people worked up over something which probably isn't going to happen. One bloke, with no links or reliable sources has stated something which goes against what the Minister has said, it goes totally against EU procurement rules and is based on something a mate told him. It's a non story really

The plans for incrimental tolls on the M50 have been in the pipeline right from the start of the rebuild in 2005.

The infrastructure is already partly installed, there are unused mounting piers for the ganteries (toll cameras) located at several strategic sites along the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

This thread is going to get people worked up over something which probably isn't going to happen. One bloke, with no links or reliable sources has stated something which goes against what the Minister has said, it goes totally against EU procurement rules and is based on something a mate told him. It's a non story really

In all fairness it would not surprise me one bit if someone tried to introduce this. I try my best to keep away from the M50 the thing is a nightmare this will just force people back to the normal roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hate those little roads, but yeah I normally go the back way. I'm just giving an example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭Grass between the tracks

I concur that nothing is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement